Go to main content

Textpattern CMS support forum

You are not logged in. Register | Login | Help

#1 2005-11-03 01:50:04

Infi

Styling Footnotes

With prior versions of TXP (complete with the unique ID issue), it was easy to “fudge” styling the footnotes using the first id. Now that they’re all unique – thank you, so much :) – it becomes, er, well impossible… at least for me.

Footnotes and blockquotes are handled with blockf and genericized output for both – each footnote wrapped in paragraph tags but no nice, neat container for them. (Blockquotes wouldn’t need one, of course.)

Heretofore, I’d styled footnotes very simply with an alert icon, top border and padding-left.

I knocked around with this for a while last night and succeeded only in styling each and every footnote with div tags before and after in the classTextile file. It’s kind of a loop, so I wasn’t surprised. Ideally, what I’d like is a div that contains all the footnotes. As they are part of the post, this doesn’t seem possible: The div itself would be wrapped in paragraph tags by Textile and that wouldn’t validate.

So, if there are any nice PHP gurus who can help me hack this together or perhaps some nice CSS guru with a creative solution, I’m all ears. As usual, it’ probably something simple I’m overlooking.

#2 2005-11-03 02:11:34

Jeremie
Website

Re: Styling Footnotes

Agreed.

If the dev want, there’s a simple patch that add a class to each footnote (and one to each fn numbering). It doesn’t take care of the global div, but it’s an easy first step.

#3 2005-11-03 03:59:35

Infi

Thanks very much for the tip. Alas, that’s pretty much what I managed to do last night: Style each one. Still looking for that global container solution….

#4 2005-11-03 05:35:12

Jeremie
Website

Yup. But the dev team would easily handle an already written hdiff patch.

#5 2005-11-04 00:48:20

Infi

Ah, of course. Yes… write a book, then skim the reply. Way to go, Infi! :D

Ahem, yes… Attn: devs. Perhaps this should be a request? Also, I’d be curious to know how much interest there is for refining the ability to style footnotes in the first place, or perhaps (at least) separating them from blockquote output.

Board footer