Go to main content

Textpattern CMS support forum

You are not logged in. Register | Login | Help

#1 2005-09-17 14:41:19

aba
Plugin Author

aba_import_images (formerly nhn_import_images)

I took over nhn_import_images because of two reasons, Skubiduu had no time left to maintain it and I wanted some features nhn_image_import didn’t have.

Herewith I present: aba_image_import

These were the features of nhn_image_import – if you think they are sufficient check it out at textgarden.org
  • imports lots of images into textpattern without the hassle to go through the interface for each image from a path called import in your images directory
  • If a file is found that starts with “thumb-” it will be the thumbnail of the image with the same name (thumb-filename.ext and filename.ext).
  • Put additional directories in the import path and the directory names will be used for the category the images are imported into (sorry, only one level – categories in textpattern doesn’t allow multiple levels either)
These are the features I added:
  • create thumbnails automatically (definable size/cropping – thanks to the class used in textpattern you may even put a small looking glass into the thumbnail) – if cropping is disabled the aspect ratio will be honored
  • resize images on the fly (again, aspect ratio will be honored)
  • import iptc or exif comment into the textpattern caption
  • use Filename minus extension as alt-Description (“_” will be replaced by spaces)

Problems: If you don’t have a safe_mode enabled server the timeout will be disabled for the script. If you use a safe-mode enabled server you may run into problems if you put too many images into the import directory at once. Try to lower the number or disable e.g. resizing. I plan to eventually write a plugin that circumvents this problem using AJAX, but first I have to understand it… ;)

The plugin seems fairly stable on my system, unfortunately my beta testers are unavailable at the moment, Dejan is blowing up something in Denmark with a few of tons TNT (he promised some pictures) and I lost contace to Brandon. You might want to test it on a test server or only a few pictures before messing around with higher demands. Please keep in mind to disable nhn_image_import in case you used it before!

I would have liked to have some examples ready but as you may know there are elections in germany tomorrow and because I’m working for a newspaper IT department my focus is somewhat shifted at the moment. I promised it for some time now so I didn’t want to let you wait any longer. There were reports that sometimes the plugin will import images two times – I wasn’t able to reproduce it but if it happens to you, please enable debug by setting the var to 1 and send me the whole output (you may do it with other problems as well).

You may find it here: http://andreas.banze.de/txp/aba_image_import.txt

The plugin default settings enable the same features nhn_import_images had. please read the help and configure it before you expect to see thumbnails. If you find any errors, please let me know.

#2 2005-09-26 13:44:55

alexandra

Re: aba_import_images (formerly nhn_import_images)

Thanks aba for adopting Nils nhn_import Plugin… and even improving it.
You should add it to textpattern.org as it is a fine plugin :)

#3 2005-09-26 21:32:44

aba
Plugin Author

> alexandra wrote:

> Thanks aba for adopting Nils nhn_import Plugin… and even improving it.
> You should add it to textpattern.org as it is a fine plugin :)

I’m waiting for problem reports because I’m still not convinced the “double import” bug is gone – so far you are the only person getting back to me… ;)

#4 2005-09-26 21:58:54

jstubbs
Website

I just downloaded the plugin and am trying it out. So far, I get this error on the image page:

Notice: Undefined variable: aba_image_importinfo in /textpattern/lib/txplib_misc.php(429) : eval()’d code on line 67

Notice: Undefined variable: aba_image_importinfo in /textpattern/lib/txplib_misc.php(429) : eval()’d code on line 73

#5 2005-09-26 22:49:37

aba
Plugin Author

hrmph… note to self: debugging is fine but I should test plugins with debugging disabled as well.

I forgot to include it in the list of globals – it will stop the importing function from working but at least all other tasks should work.

Please download again (it should say version 0.4.1 – if not, please empty your browser cache).

The only thing I wonder about is why nobody else found this, it got downloaded 37 times… oh well, maybe there is no need for such a plugin.

Last edited by aba (2005-09-26 22:52:37)

#6 2005-09-26 23:23:06

alexandra

> aba wrote:
> … oh well, maybe there is no need for such a plugin.

oh no, aba, i am convinced it will come handy for many soon. the most read articles on the german txp blog are the ones about imagehandling & photoblogs.

#7 2005-09-27 12:03:58

boblet

Hey Aba,

nice plugin!

Can the “delete this image” button be changed to a checkbox, allowing multiple image deletion? (like ‘Forms’ interface) Also, how hard would it be for aba_image_importinfo to import all exif data into a list in the comment field?

peace – boblet

#8 2005-09-27 17:30:26

aba
Plugin Author

I didn’t do anything with the delete button at all and I doubt that I will do it because the plugin is meant for importing not managing images.
I wanted to ask mary to do another plugin like her upm_img_popper but only for managing images (she already got searching by category and some other nifty things in her plugin) but because the elections I didn’t find the time.

For the exif import: it depends what you want. I didn’t want to write a parsing engine for templates but I might try a little bit simpler approach if you tell me what you need. Another way would be to use zems exif-plugin – it doesn’t use the caption but you have access to every exif data there is.

#9 2005-09-27 17:46:38

titox

Hola Aba,

I installed for plug-in in two sites an works well except the error mentioned above:
undefined variable: aba_image_importinfo in /users/home/XXXX/domains/XXXXXX/web/public/textpattern/lib/txplib_misc.php(429) : eval()’d code on line 66 and 72

I didn´t say anything because I never posted here and I tought that it was no important enough and I felt some kind of shame.

I also noticed that when you upload, resize and make thumbs of several images into a directory to assign the category to them when the process finishes they don´t follow the order you expect.

For example if you upload a serie of images named like: car_1.jpg, car_2.jpg, car_3.jpg, car_4.jpg, car_5.jpg, car_6.jpg after the process you can get a serie like 2.jpg, 4.jpg, 3.jpg, 1.jpg, 6.jpg, 5.jpg and that´s no good for the photogalleries generated via the rss_thumbpop plug-in

Last edited by titox (2005-09-27 17:58:40)

#10 2005-09-27 17:48:25

jstubbs
Website

Thanks for the update aba. I re-installed the plugin and the warning has gone. Question – is there any way to produce a thumbnail that is not from the top left corner of a large image?

#11 2005-09-27 18:16:48

bartekk

Hey Aba,

it is possible to make 3 kinds of the images (original, resized and thumbs). That will be very handy in order to make a gallery.

otherwise this plugin rocks! thanks

#12 2005-09-27 20:42:20

aba
Plugin Author

titox: You probably don’t import exif/iptc comments, otherwise you would’ve noticed that this didn’t work… ;)

jstubbs: Send an example by email what you want to achieve and I look into it. At the moment the image is cropped from the top left if cropping is enabled and resized proportionally if not (nd because I merely used the thumbnailing class that is included in textpattern – yes, even the looking glass icon is included inthere – I’m not sure whether it’s doable but if more people are interested I’ll give it go).

bartekk: textpattern doesn’t handle more than an image and its thumbnail. Because the plugin is only meant to make importing easier it doesn’t change the behaviour of textpattern, so I’m afraid you’re out of luck for the moment.

Board footer