Go to main content

Textpattern CMS support forum

You are not logged in. Register | Login | Help

#1 2005-09-14 13:46:31

stefan koopmanschap

[contrib] Pivot -> Textpattern converter

Hey people,

I am currently using Pivotlog as weblog cms for my weblog, but am planning on moving to Textpattern. I haven’t found a converter for Pivot to Textpattern, so I am planning on writing one myself. Anyone here have any pointers on what to really check when working on such a converter?

#2 2005-09-14 14:50:55

Sencer
Archived Developer
Website

Re: [contrib] Pivot -> Textpattern converter

Hi stefan,

you could take a look at the other converters to get a general idea, the “hardest” thing might be how to apply textile when importing, which is not hard at all, once you’ve seen it (textpattern keeps processed and not-processed versions of post in the database).
Also, I would appreciate if you shared your experiences in writing a converter so that others would benefit from this as well.

There are (currently) low-traffic txp-dev and txp-plugin mailing-lists at: lists.textpattern.com. While the topic of converter has not come up, it might be a place to get responses from other people interested in the development of textpattern and related stuff.

#3 2005-09-14 17:12:38

stefan koopmanschap

Thanks. I was definately planning on sharing my experiences (and the converter, when it’s finished) with the community. I’ll dig into that textile parsing :)

#4 2005-09-14 22:34:53

stefan koopmanschap

well well, an evening of playing around has resulted in a working converter, at least for my system. I’m (obviously) focussing on my conversion first. I don’t convert sections/categories yet, neither do I convert users etc. just posts and comments. but that is working (aside from a single error that I need to look at).

My main “problem” was with the naming conventions of the database tables. The table names are not always that clear, and lots of caps in the field names ;) … but that’s mostly about what I’m used to.

Once I’ve also gotten rid of the last error, I’ll post the code here for people to use :)

#5 2005-09-15 08:20:24

Vincent Jacobs

Ah Stefan, now that’s good news! I’m currently in the same process as you are, converting from Pivot to TextPattern. If you want me to test your script before you release it; it’ll be absolutely welcome!

#6 2005-09-15 08:58:12

stefan koopmanschap

Vincent: sure, I’ll have to first write some documentation on how to use it but once I’ve done that, I’ll let you know.

#7 2005-09-16 05:43:56

Destry
Website

Stefan,

As sencer mentioned, documentation is always good, and we even have a platform for you to add/share your efforts, so Vincent can help you write as he helps you test ;)

See TextBook’s Appendix C: Migrating to Textpattern from Another System

Even if it’s the only thing you add to TextBook for a while (being you are new and all), it’s still a good contribution and helps to centralize documentation. Write me and I’ll set you up an account.

#8 2005-09-16 07:18:13

stefan koopmanschap

Will do once I finish this damn project for a client ;) It’s one of those projects that seems to never end :-D

#9 2005-10-31 16:37:04

Vincent Jacobs

Hey Stefan, I was wondering if you’re still considering releasing your Piv2Txp converter… sure hope so!

#10 2005-10-31 22:10:27

Destry
Website

Yeah, that would be cool, because low and behold, I have a pivot-to-Txp project looming.

#11 2005-11-06 13:27:23

stefan koopmanschap

OK, I have documented what I did a bit. Check my weblog

Sorry for the delay. I hope this will be useful to people.

#12 2005-11-07 14:11:12

Destry
Website

Thanks for the start on this, stefan.

I’m not a PHP guru, so I wouldn’t really know where to go with “finishing” it, but hopefully someone will pick it up a bit. By the same token, I’m not sure how I would even make use of it as it is now. You say you “documented what you did a bit”, but I don’t see any documentation, I just see the PHP file. What do I do with it? Some basic steps would be useful. How did you use it yourself?

“Anyway, since my conversion already worked, I’ll leave further development to the Textpattern community.”

That cracks me up.

Board footer