Go to main content

Textpattern CMS support forum

You are not logged in. Register | Login | Help

#1 2005-08-19 12:52:17

Quills
Website

Trackback instructions

Hey there,

I’m a txp newbish (been running for just under a month, here ) and I want to add trackback capabilities to my site. I’ve got the plugin, but…..the half translated/googlated english instructions completely confuse me. I don’t particularly want to start messing around and doing ‘hacks’, which apparently I need to, unless I completely understand the instructions.

google translation

Now….obviously I can cope with installing the two plugin files….but the mangled english really does not help. I’m uneasy about fiddling with backend files even when I do understand the instructions. In this case I’m just stumped.

So, is there anyone with the time and patience to give me a clearer, step by step instructions?

Oooh, I just found this.

trackback.php receives trackbacks, it has to stay in the same directory as your public weblog-files, it expects textpattern/config.php to access the database. Received trackbacks are saved as txp-comments, with a german headline at the moment ;-) And you need the two plugins to display the trackback-information (URL and invisible RDF-Code) in your weblog.
To send trackbacks, txp_trackback.php has to be copied inside the textpattern-directory, and textpattern/lib/txp_article.php has to be hacked to popup the window you need to send a trackback. If your version of txp is still a unhacked 1.0rc1, you can use the modified txp_article.php in the ZIP-archive. It adds a link “Trackback” to the edit-form in the txp-backend, but is only visible after your article is saved for the first time (and, actually, is saved into the database, before that it only exists in your edit-form). In txp, an article gets its ID after it is saved for the first time, and the ID is needed to provide the necessery information for a trackback-ping.
That was the short version ;-), but, as mentioned before, I’m working on the “full”-version in english of this page.

hopefully it will work with Txp 4.0. That mini instruction was written last year, so I’m not too hopeful. Argh, this is the one feature I wish was a built in option. Normal plugins are fantastic, but this sort of prodding and poking for a feature that is ubiquitous in the CMS world?

Will let you all know how my second attempt at adding in this trackback feature goes.

[url=http://www.quillsabroad.com]Life as narrative[/url]

#2 2005-08-28 06:57:58

1beb
Plugin Author
Website

Re: Trackback instructions

What’s the status of this? Any word?

#3 2005-08-30 12:53:21

kellner
Website

… in which case I’m tempted to hope for snow in September :-)

#4 2005-08-30 22:41:22

1beb
Plugin Author
Website

/me prays for snow…. within the hour

#5 2005-09-06 16:50:06

wesseltoft
Website

At the weblog blog.the-exit.net the trackback-modul now works. How does he do that? I want to have trackbacks!

#6 2005-12-06 03:21:01

MacStansbury
Website

EDIT: I changed over to WordPress, so I no longer have the trackbacks plug-in working. It does work with 4.0.3, though.

I got it working as well as it’s going to work at MacStansbury.org

I translated a lot of the German, and did some minor tweaks to make it work. it would be nice if more of the tweaking could be done in an administration panel, instead of having to edit the raw files.

also, you get spammed a lot. my tiny site gets quite a bit of it every day. moderation needs to be on by default.

I saw this thing before, and I was confused by the implementation (what with my complete lack of knowledge of most of the language). luckily, it’s strait-forward when you install it, other than some minor quibbles with administration.

what I would like to see is more integration with Textpattern, and less of it on the server. right now the logging is in a file you have to FTP/shell to download. like I say, quibbles. so far, it’s worked wonders.

Last edited by MacStansbury (2006-02-25 20:07:57)

Fine then, I’ll just make a hit counter myself.

#7 2006-03-14 00:12:05

apo

any updates on this, leralle?

leralle wrote:

Hi, I’m the author of the trackback-thingy.

I’m going to build the Trackback-Module for TXP 4.0 with english instructions just before the first snow fells over Germany. ;-)

#8 2017-03-06 01:33:26

alicson
Website

Hi, what’s the latest in trackbacking?

(I used mic_technorati like a decade ago..) What’s working/advisable these days?

textpattern.org :: find and share Textpattern resources
docs.textpattern.io :: Textpattern user documentation

#9 2017-03-06 02:33:11

michaelkpate
Website GitHub Mastodon

alicson wrote #304411:

Hi, what’s the latest in trackbacking?

I don’t really know anyone doing anything with trackback these days. The new semi-hotness is Webmention which has just become a W3C standard.

But I am not sure if that is ever going to reach critical mass, either.

#10 2017-03-06 07:28:36

alicson
Website

michaelkpate wrote #304414

Thank you! Much appreciated; will review.

textpattern.org :: find and share Textpattern resources
docs.textpattern.io :: Textpattern user documentation

Board footer