Go to main content

Textpattern CMS support forum

You are not logged in. Register | Login | Help

#37 2005-08-25 12:28:02

wilshire
Plugin Author
Website

Re: [plugin] [ORPHAN] rss_admin_db_manager - database backups and more

doggiez – The server OS is whats important.

Stephen – good suggestions. I’ll have to look through your emails at the messages. I struggled with using the files directory versus another one. Maybe I should add the ability to define that path. The nice thing about using the files directory as you said is that you can upload a backup and then restore it. The downside of course being that its in a public directory.

steventer – Looks like a problem in how mysqldump is being called.

I’m going to work on making a few updates to the plugin so that you can turn on a debug mode to get more detailed logging of whats going on. That will help me to take a look at the problems. Stay tuned for an update.

#38 2005-08-25 13:04:06

els

> wilshire wrote:

> doggiez – The server OS is whats important.

Linux.

#39 2005-08-25 14:10:59

aba
Plugin Author

> wilshire wrote:

> steventer – Looks like a problem in how mysqldump is being called.

mysqldump Ver 8.23 Distrib 3.23.58, for pc-linux (i686)

afair this version does not know anything about —skip-lock-tables

steventer: find the following code segment in the plugin and delete the —skip-lock-tables parameter, then try again.

<code> if($gzip) { $backup_path.= ‘.gz’; $backup_cmd = $path_to_mysqldump.$mysql_hup.’ —add-drop-table —skip-lock-tables ‘.$DB->db.’ | gzip > ‘.$backup_path; } else { $backup_cmd = $path_to_mysqldump.$mysql_hup.’ —add-drop-table —skip-lock-tables ‘.$DB->db.’ > ‘.$backup_path; }
</code>

#40 2005-08-25 15:12:38

steventer

Aba! Thanks very much!

it didn’t work quite the way you said (I think your <code><del></del></code>s were in slightly the wrong place, but I changed that section to the following:

<code> if($gzip) { $backup_path.= ‘.gz’; $backup_cmd = $path_to_mysqldump.$mysql_hup.’ —add-drop-table ‘.$DB->db.’ | gzip > ‘.$backup_path; } else { $backup_cmd = $path_to_mysqldump.$mysql_hup.’ —add-drop-table ‘.$DB->db.’ > ‘.$backup_path; }
</code> and it worked just great!

Thanks again.

Steve

#41 2005-08-25 15:21:26

wilshire
Plugin Author
Website

Thanks aba. I was suspicious of that option causing problems. I know at least a few hosts (Textdrive being one) that don’t allow you to lock tables by default. I’ll have to look at making this an option.

Can anyone else having problems confirm that removing the —skip-lock-tables option as aba suggested?

#42 2005-08-25 15:23:44

aba
Plugin Author

it didn’t work quite the way you said (I think your <code><del></del></code>s were in slightly the wrong place,

As your post indicates, the del sections aren’t from me, they result from the code block parsing… ;)

Glad it worked for you.

#43 2005-08-25 16:14:20

bauhouse
Archived Plugin Author
Website

I’ve explored the problem for Mac OS X a little more. What opened my eyes to the problem was trying to download the files created by db backup from different browsers. Trying to save the .sql file from Internet Explorer returned the following message:

<pre>
Internet Exploder doesn’t know how to handle the type of file you have selected.
You can choose to save this file to your disk or you can configure a Helper Application for this file.
MIME Type: application/download
File Name: index.php
</pre>

So the file corruption is happening when clicking on the download link because the download link appears to be combining the encoded SQL file and the index.php file. This was confirmed by downloading the same file by FTP (using Transmit 3) from TextDrive and comparing the file downloaded from the db backup tab. The file downloaded by FTP was perfect. The file downloaded from the db backup tab was corrupted. I’ll email you examples.

#44 2005-08-25 20:07:57

bauhouse
Archived Plugin Author
Website

My local db backup problem in Mac OS X 10.4 — where the db backup tab would save an empty gzipped file or return an “empty file” error — ended up being a command line problem to do with the MySQL install: my default shell could not find the mysqldump command without the full path /usr/local/mysql/bin/mysqldump. This can be solved by editing the plugin. Change the following variable from this:

<pre>$path_to_mysqldump = ‘mysqldump’;</pre>

to this:

<pre>$path_to_mysqldump = ‘/usr/local/mysql/bin/mysqldump’;</pre>

Or to avoid having to modify the plugin everytime you restore your database, change the PATH environment variable in your shell’s login script:

<pre>echo ‘export PATH=/usr/local/mysql/bin:$PATH’ >> ~/.bash_profile</pre>

That is, find the invisible file .bash_profile (for example, with a [free] text editor such as TextWrangler using “File > Open Hidden…”) in the top level directory of your user account and add export PATH=/usr/local/mysql/bin:$PATH to the end of the file.

Last edited by bauhouse (2005-08-25 22:58:53)

#45 2005-08-25 22:44:51

aba
Plugin Author

wilshire: If you reword the error messages and fix the mysqldump problem you might want to look into this as well:

<code>
delete * from txp_image

0/1 Query(s) Executed Successfully
</code>

#46 2005-08-25 23:49:36

wilshire
Plugin Author
Website

aba – you don’t need the <code>*</code>. try <code>delete from txp_image</code>.

I’ve been working with Stephen (bauhouse) to diagnose a few of the problems people have been having. There’s one that remains to be fixed and then a new version will be posted.

I’ve added the ability to set some preferences for the plugin which should help things as well.

#47 2005-08-26 04:42:04

wilshire
Plugin Author
Website

Ok, version 4.0.1 is now up for download.

New additions include the ability to set several preferences to help troubleshoot and solve common problems that will cause your backup/restore to fail. Here are some of the problems that have come up. Thanks to bauhouse for helping to diagnose some of the problems.

1. Your host doesn’t allow mysql table locking – Change the lock tables preference to “No” and try again. I can tell you of at least one host that is pretty common in these parts (TXD) that doesn’t allow table locking by default.
  2. The path to mysqldump and mysql are not in yoru system path – Set the full path to these executables in the preferences.
  3. Your backup fails and none of the above fixed it – Turn the debug preference on. This will echo the command being run to your screen. Try running it through a command line and post the error message you see.

I also added the ability to set hte backup file path so you can easily change it to a non-public directory.

#48 2005-08-26 07:22:17

aba
Plugin Author

> wilshire wrote:

> aba – you don’t need the <code>*</code>. try <code>delete from txp_image</code>.

yeah, I know. Sorry, I meant the “0/1 Querys” part – it would be nice to see the error message as well (I tend to use the wrong commands because I forget what I’m working with)

Board footer