Go to main content

Textpattern CMS support forum

You are not logged in. Register | Login | Help

#1 2005-06-30 03:14:49

duffe
Archived Plugin Author

[archived] hpw_admincss -- customise the Textpattern admin interface

Notice: This thread is archived, this plugin can be found here.

This little plugin lets you add your own stylesheet to the TXP Admin Interface so that you can customse it with your own styles. All you need to do is install + enable this plugin and create a new stylesheet via Textpattern named admin.

It also ID’s the <body> of each section, eg <body id="event_article"> so you can target styles to specific Admin sections.

Bare in mind that TXP prevents plugins from operating within the plugins area itself, so you can’t change the style of that section.

hpw_admincss

Edit:fixed broken link

Last edited by duffe (2005-06-30 03:53:52)

#2 2005-06-30 07:32:18

kemie
Plugin Author
Website

Re: [archived] hpw_admincss -- customise the Textpattern admin interface

sounds nice!
downloading…

~~~~~~~~~~~~~| monolinea.com | pixilate.com | istockphoto.com/kemie |~~~~~~~~~~~~~

#3 2005-06-30 18:38:22

bauhouse
Archived Plugin Author
Website

I’ve been waiting for this. Can’t wait to try it out!

#4 2005-06-30 19:36:19

soulship
Website

Saweeet! Thanks, giving this a spin. One question….will this work in conjunction with rss_quickpik?

#5 2005-06-30 20:36:55

jameslomax
Website

Anyone going to put together a few style sheets to show what the plugin can do, that people can use as a working basis for their custom interface?

#6 2005-07-01 11:15:08

duffe
Archived Plugin Author

I’ve only used rss_quickpik briefly so I’m not too sure why the two wouldn’t work together. Basically, if rss_quickpik id’s itself in the html it produces, then yes you would be able to modify the way it looks :)

Yes, if people start putting together some admin skins, that would bre pretty sweet…

I’d also recommend plugin developers to take a look at the trick I used to make this plugin. You might find it a useful way to prevent having to mod the textpattern source to achieve some things.

#7 2005-07-01 11:16:33

duffe
Archived Plugin Author

Also, has anyone had any success with it? I’ve only tested it in RC3…

#8 2005-07-05 06:16:00

Mary
Sock Enthusiast

Well, it would only work on rc3 because its an admin plugin. Unless you meant to make reference to a specific revision? It installed and worked fine for me. :)

Yes, that is a nice technique you used, Adrian. After seeing it I’m now going ‘duh’; this community is good for doing that to me. I had worked around it by monkeying around with the dom, but I think I’m going to update my plugins again. Sheesh. Its bad enough when people start asking for features, now you gotta increase my work? Thanks. :D

I see you also broke up the plugin string. That’s good thinking. I hadn’t bothered doing that, even with having problems with it all being on one line. All anyone would need to do is open up the plugin template and change

echo base64_encode(serialize($plugin));
to
echo chunk_split(base64_encode(serialize($plugin)), 40);

If this was already discussed before, I wish I hadn’t missed that conversation. Or maybe I heard but forgot it. Either way, I’m going to put these ideas into use.

Admin-side skins would be very cool. The admin uses tables, so we’ll be limited somewhat, but still, think of the power!! (Eheh, sorry. Css gets me excited. ;p)

Jamie, to answer your question: that depends. QuikPik adds its style directly to the body of the html page. That means that it is more specific. So, styles in both will work, but the ones in QuikPik will override any duplicate rules; it has the ‘last word’ so to speak.

However, you could just as easily remove the css for QuikPik and put it in admincss’ stylesheet, and then change whatever, with no worries about cascading problems (except for any that may or may not exist within the stylesheet itself). comes up for air

#9 2005-07-05 12:44:38

duffe
Archived Plugin Author

Hi Mary,

Sorry to increase your workload, but yes, it certainly does beat monkeying around with dom! The funny thing is, this plugin actually came about because I wanted more control when creating elements via the dom.

I’ve actually been using wordwrap() to break up the plugin lines, but after looking at chunk_split() I think that might be the better one?

Hmm, wouldn’t revisions after April 29 no longer be RC3? The version available on the homepage is all that I have tested in ;)

#10 2005-07-05 17:55:41

soulship
Website

I have this working fine with quik pik. It took some fiddling to get the styles synced up though. One problem with the admin interface has always been a lack of style hooks to seperate out the tables without editing the source lib file. Grumble grumble. But the plugin works just as advertised. Thanks!

#11 2005-07-05 18:10:03

Mary
Sock Enthusiast

“I’ve actually been using wordwrap() to break up the plugin lines, but after looking at chunk_split() I think that might be the better one?”

Hmm.

wordwrap uses “\n” every 75 chars, while chunk_split uses “\r\n” every 76 chars, but either can have both customized. wordwrap, by default, pays attention to whether you are still in a word or not, whereas chunk_split will wrap regardless. So chunk_split might be a smidgen bit faster, but I imagine the difference is very slight.

I only lean towards chunk_split because I believe it was created specifically for base64 encoded text.

#12 2005-07-06 14:46:46

duffe
Archived Plugin Author

Sounds like chunk_split() is the better option. Wordwrap() not using ”\r\n” possibly causes problems on windows servers too.

Board footer