Go to main content

Textpattern CMS support forum

You are not logged in. Register | Login | Help

#25 2005-05-30 13:28:51

theturninggate
Website

Re: [plugin] [ORPHAN] rss_live_archive

EDIT: I seem to have gotten this problem fixed by replacing “/tmp” with the full server path to the “../../../../etc.com/../files” directory in the File Upload Path area of the admin preferences tab. I’ll leave this posting here for reference should anyone else run into this problem.

ORIGINAL MESSAGE:

Whoa! I’m having a MAJOR issue with this plugin.

I have this working on two web sites, The Turning Gate and The Recorder Online.

These sites each have their own hosting, domain name and database. They share NOTHING.

For both sites, the File Upload Path is set to /tmp, the TXP default. Both sites have Auto Recache set to On, and each has different (site specific) sections identified.

The problem is that when I visit each of the sites, the headlines listed by the rss_live_archive plugin reflect whichever of the sites was last updated. Thus, if I last updated The Turning Gate, that site’s headlines appear in the archive listings of both The Turning Gate and The Recorder Online.

Despite the wrong headlines in the plugin, however, the hyperlinks still point to the appropriate articles on the home site (i.e. even when The Turning Gate’s headlines appear on The Recorder Online, clicking the headline will still take you to a Recorder article).

This is not a problem with the user machine cache. I discovered the problem on two machines this morning loading the live_archive for the very first time.

Is this a bug in the plugin? Is it a problem with using the “/tmp” directory in the setup? What can I do?

As a secondary problem, the listings sometimes act inconsistantly as well. The year column disappears about half the time, and there was one strange article on The Turning Gate dated 2004 that would occasionally be the only one in the list — nothing from 2005 was accessible. When I deleted that article, the problem ceased.

Wilshire, any good advice on this one?

Thanks,
theturninggate

Last edited by theturninggate (2005-05-30 13:41:24)

#26 2005-05-30 15:43:40

sekhu
Website

turninggate – how did you enable the years? I can’t seem them to display them at all

#27 2005-05-30 19:32:21

theturninggate
Website

It set them up automatically. The only extra instruction I’m using with the plugin is the “section” attribute. My limited experience with the plugin is that it acts erratically if you don’t have the File Upload Path set correctly in your Admin Preferences tab. When I had it set to the TXP default of “/tmp” the years showed up sometimes, and sometimes not. That in addition to the freaky dual-site madness described above.

I’ve only had it properly set up since this morning, but so far have not seen my years disappearing at all since making the change to the File Upload Path.

Here’s the code I use to call in the archive, which, as you can see, is about as basic as it gets.

<pre>
<txp:rss_live_archive sections=“blog,photography,music”>
<p>You must have Javascript enabled to use this page.
Please try the <a href=”/archive/”>Static Article Listing</a>.</p>
</txp:rss_live_archive>
</pre>

Under the “Extensions” tab, I have the plugin set to Auto Caching: On, with the same sections named as in the above code.

Under the Admin Preferences tab, I have my folders set to the full server path:

Temp Folder: /home/httpd/vhosts/theturninggate.com/httpdocs/textpattern/tmp

File Upload Path: /home/httpd/vhosts/theturninggate.com/httpdocs/files

I don’t know whether the Temp folder matters at all, but I went ahead and set it up anyway, just in case.

The rest is styling. The styling is somewhat difficult because you can’t actually view the source code from your browser. You can use the source in the plugin’s help file, but I went to Wilshire’s site and copied the styling parameters from his CSS file, then made my own modifications to it. Feel free to rip the styling from my page if you’d like. The section you’ll need is labeled.

Also, follow the installation instructions closely from the help file. Make sure you include the javascript call in the HEAD of your page. And be sure to Publish an article kick-start your cache.

That’s everything I did to get the plugin set up on my site. I hope that helps some.

Last edited by theturninggate (2005-05-30 19:33:21)

#28 2005-05-30 19:47:17

sekhu
Website

Well I did all that, though my code is slightly different.

The odd thing is the year displays (albeit with the entry count up in the air somewhere) in IE, but not in FF, and of course the hovers don’t work either which is nice.

Uploads and the temp folder are both set to tmp, and it works, just very erratically.

EDIT: it’s appeared now – very, very odd behaviour

Is it possible to make this plugin validate?

Last edited by sekhu (2005-05-30 20:44:05)

#29 2005-05-31 01:54:58

theturninggate
Website

sekhu, I would change the Temp and Upload directories to something else. The plugin behaved VERY erratically for me while I had them set up with /tmp. It’s been much less of a mess since I changed to a full server path. And I don’t know what the hell was going on with my two separate web site stealing headlines from each other … that was just pure weirdness.

#30 2005-05-31 16:39:58

wilshire
Plugin Author
Website

Wow, looks like there have been several issues with the live archive. A few general notes:

1) I’ve always had to set an absolute path the file upload directory. Don’t know why. Maybe its a host related pathing issue. At the least I can tell you that you can never go wrong with an absolute path (as long as the path is right of course).

2) If you are seeing strange results, check your file upload directory for a series of .dat files. These are the cache files. You can try deleting them all and resaving an article to regenerate the cache.

3) The subdate is set to show before the article title. If you are seeing an overlap, its merely a CSS float problem. The default styles were not designed to handle the subdate.

4) There was a minor problem that caused the plugin not to validate. I updated the download to fix this although I didn’t change the version.

5) The loading option is on the rss_live_archive_js tag not the rss_live_archive tag. Be sure this is where you’re trying to set it.

6) I develop locally on a subdirectory so this should not stop the archive from working as long as your site URL is correct in your site preferences.

7) You can test the results of your archive by going to the URL of your archive page and adding ?larch=1 to the end (e.g., http://mysite.com/livearchive/?larch=1). This will show you the raw results of the archive listing before the JS kicks in. This might help you to see whats going on.

Please try all of the above and and if anyone is still having a problem just post the code you’re using to call the tag and a URL I can take a look at.

Last edited by wilshire (2005-05-31 16:41:45)

#31 2005-05-31 18:51:34

theturninggate
Website

Hi Wilshire,
Still having some erratic behavior from the Year column, which comes and goes seemingly at will. The code I’m using is posting in my message above, and you can view the page to see the rest. Otherwise, it’s working great.

#32 2005-05-31 19:12:10

stevechamp

I’m can’t see why it’s not working for me, adding larch=1 & it seems to be working. Trouble is the javascript doesn’t seem to do it’s thing & I get no articles retured on the normal archives page.

Might be my unusual situation, i.e. hosted on Zeus, messy url (no answer to zeus problem), latest revision (as of yesterday). but otherwise I’m fairly certain I have everything set up properly.

code I’m using to call

[txp:rss_live_archive section=“news”>
test
[/txp:rss_live_archive>

news section set in ‘extensions’ & recached & deleted all files several times.

can see whats going on, or lack of here

(I think it might be messy url)

Last edited by stevechamp (2005-05-31 19:12:50)

#33 2005-05-31 21:13:34

himynameisjonas
Archived Plugin Author
Website

i seem to have the same problem like stevechamp above.
it seems like the javascript doesn’t write out the archive.

the archive page

i got some output whene i use <code>larch=1</code> and this is the code i’m using:
<code>
<txp:rss_live_archive>
<txp:rss_suparchive section=“blog” />
</txp:rss_live_archive></code>

Last edited by himynameisjonas (2005-05-31 21:18:41)

#34 2005-05-31 22:29:49

PeterS
Website

Stevechamp – Looks to be a problem with the encoding. You’re using ISO, and I believe the plugin’s written for UTF-8. It’s not encoding your ampersand in the javascript.

Yours: <code><script type=“text/javascript” src=“http://www.woodrichardson.co.uk/?file=livearchive&amp;loading=Loading+Article+Archives…”></script></code>

Mine: <code><script type=“text/javascript” src=“http://site.angrypete.net/?file=livearchive&loading=Loading+Article+Archives…”></script></code>

himynameisjonas – I don’t see a call to any of the javascript on your page at all.

Last edited by PeterS (2005-06-01 17:02:20)

The following is true
The above statement is false.

#35 2005-05-31 23:44:15

stevechamp

Don’t think so Peter, changed the charset to utf-8 & made no difference. I think the difference you a pointing out; is the updated version of the plugin that lets it validate by encoding the amp; Neither version has worked for me.

#36 2005-06-01 00:32:23

pyn
Website

suddenly in june it doesn’t work anymore for me

?larch=1 gives me error that either the directory doesn’t have permissions or isn’t correct

it’s correct directory and permissions, just had problems once it’s june

Patrick Yan

Board footer