Go to main content

Textpattern CMS support forum

You are not logged in. Register | Login | Help

#37 2005-03-03 15:39:48

renobird
Website

Re: Plugin: pfa_beginning - excerpt generation based on length attribute

I’m having trouble downloading the file as well. 404 error.
Anyone have it? Please Help
Thanks

#38 2005-03-03 15:51:07

wilshire
Plugin Author
Website

You might want to try contacting the author.

#39 2005-03-12 13:44:00

alexbrie

Ok, for you people out there that had the same problem like me with pfa_beginning having bad permlinks after switching to rc3, here is the quick fix:

Go edit the pfa_beginning plugin, and in about the 10-th line, the one below if($linktext), you replace that line (the one containing <txp:permalink> and the next(the one containing doPermalink)

with the following

$link = “\n<span class=\”$styleclass\”>\n”.permlink($atts, $linktext).”\n</span>”;

This way, instead of artificially inserting <txp permalink> and then removing it via doPermalink(which became obsolete in rc3 and is the one causing the problems), you simply call the function permlink … . This way it works and will probably work for all types or permlinks selected by the user.

#40 2005-03-12 13:47:53

alexbrie

sorry, there were tags all over there(and apparently were removed by the site engine)
it originally read:
the one containing < txp permlink > and the next(the one containing doPermalink)

with the following
$link=… (you keep the rest and replace just the stuff about txppermalink with the call of the function permlink($atts, $linktext) . About the way it appeared above, only there were some span and class tags before and after the \n ‘s .

Hope it will come to you, since I don’t seem to manage to explain it without quoting the code.

#41 2005-03-14 13:06:50

Jennifer
Website

I would love the modification you made, Alex, but I can’t figure out what you changed… would you please email it to me? Email link’s at the bottom of this post.

#42 2005-03-15 11:11:21

nardo

yes Alex, I’m having a few probs with this one and RC3… I can get the permalinks okay using your suggestion above, but not getting the auto excerpt

rev 227 — btw

and you can use < code > < / code >

#43 2005-03-27 23:59:51

alexbrie

Sorry about that.. here it comes(hopefully).
I have no idea what variant of the plugin i’m having.. Probably one of the first ones. Still, here is the plugin text(i hope the code tags will work), with my own tweaks within. I’m also removing the comments. The idea is that the excerpts won’t work because checking for a previous excerpt with “ if ($thisarticle[“excerpt”])” no longer works in this version. I just commented the condition. The final modifications were made ‘cause I want a linebreak after the excerpt. You probably won’t need that.
<code> function beginning($atts) { global $thisarticle; if (is_array($atts)) extract($atts); if (!$styleclass) $styleclass = ‘pfab-morelink’; if (!$length) $length = 350; if ($linktext) { $link = “\n<span class=\”$styleclass\”>\n”.permlink($atts, $linktext).”\n</span>”; } $beginning = ‘<p>’ . $thisarticle[“excerpt”] . ‘</p>’ . $link; if ($length < strlen($thisarticle[‘body’])) { $body = $thisarticle[‘body’]; $i = 0; $p_end[$i] = strpos($body, ‘</p>’) + 4;

while ($p_end[$i] < $length) { $i++; $last = $i – 1; $more = substr($body, $p_end[$last]); $p_end[$i] = strpos($more, ‘</p>’) + 4 + $p_end[$last];

}

$beginning = substr($body, 0, $p_end[$i]); if (!((strlen($beginning)+4) == strlen($body))) { $beginning = $beginning . $link; }
else $beginning = $beginning.”\n<br />”;

} else { $beginning = $thisarticle[‘body’].”\n<br />”; }

return $beginning; }
</code>

#44 2005-04-08 06:11:52

alicson
Website

hi, ‘wondering if the feature could be added to excerpt the exact number of words/characters specified—not wait for the paragraph to end.
that would be wonderful :)

textpattern.org :: find and share Textpattern resources
docs.textpattern.io :: Textpattern user documentation

#45 2005-04-08 06:59:32

nimnix
Archived Plugin Author
Website

textpattern.net :: TextBook – Textpattern wiki

#46 2005-04-08 07:19:39

davidm

That’s very nice, nimnix, I think I am gonna love this :))

.: Retired :.

#47 2005-04-08 10:07:22

nimnix
Archived Plugin Author
Website

I found it answering the other question…love the textpattern.org site :D

textpattern.net :: TextBook – Textpattern wiki

#48 2005-04-08 19:28:14

alicson
Website

yea, i found safe_excerpt while trying to answer my question too. thanks :)

i was thinking — if anyone ever thinks of editing or working on a new excerpt plugin — it would be really great if there were one plugin that could do the following: cut off after so many words AND the paragraph ends; cut off exactly after so many words (possible in kgr_safe_excerpt), and strip the unclosed html tags OR autoclose the unclosed html tags.. something that can print the whole body of the article but strip all the html… something that can strip just all the <p>, be able to style the ‘read more’ text/link (possible in pfa_beginning)

aside, both kgr_safe_excerpt and pfa_beginning are very useful in their own right. much thanks to both authors

docs.textpattern.io :: Textpattern user documentation

Board footer