1. Index
  2. » Archives
  3. » rc2 and 1.0

#493 2005-02-20 07:52:10

Damelon
Website

Re: rc2 and 1.0

> duffe wrote:
> Take away TXP and TXD is just another host (albeit with a kickass admin).

Duffe, I’m not looking to prolong this, but that assertion is simply wrong. TextDrive without Textpattern is still TextDrive with Rails, WordPress, Instiki, and lots of other products and their developers.

#494 2005-02-20 08:10:26

duffe
Archived Plugin Author

>> Duffe, Iâ

#495 2005-02-20 08:39:18

Damelon
Website

I think Textpattern is important to TextDrive, but not in the way you might assume. Textpattern is important because it is opensource. That is what TextDrive is about. A place where developers and their products, and their users, can find reliable support and hosting.

As a pointless and only general breakdown I offer the following. Of the signups that chose to directly support a software developer and product directly:

WordPress 14%
Textpattern 21%
RubyOnRails 58%
All others 7%

[This isn’t any sort of breakdown of what actually is or isn’t being run on the TD servers, just the direct requests to support a product.]

#496 2005-02-20 09:08:49

duffe
Archived Plugin Author

Very interesting stuff Damelon. It’s very cool TXD supports these other products too.

On the flipside,

Textpattern has 127 forum posts on http://textdrive.com/forum/
Word Press 32
RubyOR 62

:)

Last edited by duffe (2005-02-20 09:09:08)

#497 2005-02-20 10:24:03

AlanChandler

I am new to TXP, and am trying to evaluate it against other open source cms. What I have seen technically so far is impressive (mainly because I was looking for simplicity of idea), but that is not the only criteria that I want to use. For me, I try to judge how active the community is around the code to try and judge whether this thing is being actively developed or not, and likely to be enhanced into the future.

I have read every single message in this long thread – which started because I was (and still am) very unclear of exactly what state the software that I have is.

There seem to be four slightly conflicting issues I can’t get my head around

1. There have been posts that say that the download version of txp (labelled rc1) is tracking the subversion repository – but I can see differences.
  2. I have downloaded what is supposed to be the latest revision from svn (63) but it doesn’t contain the bug fix that several people have said needs line 56 in publish.php to be changed.
  3. svn log shows the last revision was last November yet there is supposed to be real progress towards 1.0
  4. There is reference in Jason’s blog (which has been pointed to in this thread as evidence of what is happening) to the code in 1.0 supporting rewriting using apache rewrite engine, but there seems to be no sign of any code that actually does that (other than zem_rewrite plugin)

Given this situation, and the frustration being vented here about lack of communication – I am really surprised. Why is every body relying on just one man to take the code forward. There is clearly a community here, many of whom seem to be able to develop quite interesting plugins. Why have they not been able to get together as a community and together work towards a 1.0 release and beyond.

#498 2005-02-20 10:42:19

jason
Website

> duffe wrote:

> Very interesting stuff Damelon. It’s very cool TXD supports these other products too.

> On the flipside,

> Textpattern has 127 forum posts on http://textdrive.com/forum/
> Word Press 32
> RubyOR 62

> :)

I think that’s more of a sign of other things.

Wordpress has a pretty active support forum, IRC and mailing lists, and RoR pretty effectively uses the Trac setup I put in, IRC and has a really active mailing list as well. Most of the txd support for Rails is in the ticket system and the manuals. It’s not really forum material.

#499 2005-02-20 10:57:34

Jaro

> ubernostrum wrote:

> OK, so I think I understand.

duffe et al. want to have the following:

1. Constant updates on the status of Textpattern 1.0 including up-to-the-minute details of every change being made from the previous release candidate,
  2. A full, cross-indexed, searchable and prominent user manual, and
  3. Textpattern 1.0.

> And they want all of these things right this very minute or they’re going to go play somewhere else.

> Somebody, I think, doesn’t understand software development very well…

urbenostrum, you have made a good point in your previous posts but here you are going too far in my opinion. People, don’t ask a up-to-the-minute reports. The do not want 1.0 to be released now. All they want is a few words from the man who develops the software they are using. Let’s admit it, Dean hasn’t posted anything about what’s going on for about 1 month. Yes, it’s great that Damelon and Jason give us some updates but as you said yourself, Textpattern is software of the 1 man. People want updates from this man.

I think this is more of a human/mental than a technical issue. People feel that they are in a community. They help newcomers, they learn from more experienced. They try, they test, they report bugs. Sure, they are the ones who benefit from it at the first place but at the same time the community benefits from them. Everything is great, community works, product works. But the father is somehow too busy. I think he should be more concerned what’s going on here. People are getting nervous, some of them say they are leaving. Few words from Dean let’s say every week would solve this. It requires 30 seconds. “Hi guys, there appeared new security holes, no release in next one/two weeks”. That’s it. That’s what people want. They need to see that the man who develops the software they use keeps going, that he is interested in his users, that he listens to them, that he is concerned what’s going on in the community he has created. People are getting feeling that he doesn’t care so much after all. If he dropped few words here it would freshen the atmosphere, assure people and create a better image of Textpattern as a product.

Maybe Dean has some reasons why he doesn’t update us. But we can just guess until he speaks.

Last edited by Jaro (2005-02-20 10:58:52)

#500 2005-02-20 10:59:21

Damelon
Website

http://forum.textpattern.com/viewtopic.php?pid=41342#41342