You are not logged in. Register | Login | Help

1. Index
  2. » Archives
  3. » Plugin: ajw_technorati_tags

#25 2005-01-25 16:12:42

Andrew
Plugin Author

Re: Plugin: ajw_technorati_tags

gotcha – i’ve been dealing w/ dns issues the past day. i’ll try and get to that soon.

#26 2005-01-25 18:00:04

technoweenie
Website

I think Textile is freaking out about the equality operator in your code. Here’s what I added:

<pre><code>
$label = ((empty($label)) ? ‘’ : $label . (($break == ‘li’) ? ‘’ : $break));
</code></pre>

I changed the return line also:

<pre><code>
return ($wraptag) ? tag($label . join(n,$out),$wraptag) : join(n,$out);
</code></pre>

rick
http://techno-weenie.com

#27 2005-01-25 19:48:14

fncll
Website

Does anyone have an example of this plugin working and being picked up by Technorati? The only way I can get Technorati to use the tags is if I manually put them in the body of the post so that the tags show up in the RSS feed in the BODY of the post… has anyone hacked their RSS/ATOM in the way described above and observed the results in Technorati?

It’s very annoying that being in the body of the actual weblog page(s) isn’t enough!

FYI: I just received a response from Technorati that they are only reading from the RSS feeds…

Last edited by fncll (2005-01-25 19:51:25)

Dammit Jim, I’m a poet, not a programmer…
Joined the TXP Obsessed 2/25/04: http://www.chrislott.org/

#28 2005-01-25 19:56:12

Andrew
Plugin Author

Well then there ya go. That means the plugin is pretty much for novelty-sake and that if you want to have your posts truly crawled, you’ll need to do the hack described earlier to include categories in the RSS/Atom.

Which kinda sucks because it ties the Technorati tag categories to your Txp categories, which could be very different and are limited to only two.

#29 2005-01-25 20:01:46

fncll
Website

Or hard code the tags into the body of each post. ewww.

How hard would it be to use the logic of the plugin but have it insert into the body of the post in the RSS stream after the body text?

Dammit Jim, I’m a poet, not a programmer…
Joined the TXP Obsessed 2/25/04: http://www.chrislott.org/

#30 2005-01-26 21:44:19

technoweenie
Website

I suppose, if anything, you can provide links to related entries at Technorati with the tab links…

rick
http://techno-weenie.com

#31 2005-01-26 22:05:15

ubernostrum
Website

I didn’t realize Technorati would pick up on categories; I haven’t tagged anything, but my entries are showing up over there…

You cooin’ with my bird?

#32 2005-01-26 22:39:20

schussat
Plugin Author
Website

> fncll wrote:

> How hard would it be to use the logic of the plugin but have it insert into the body of the post in the RSS stream after the body text?

I put together a quick hack to do this by modifying txp_article.php. Essentially, when a post is saved, I append the technorati tags to the end of the body_html field that goes to the database. But, I do it inside of html comments so that they’re not obtrusive.

Will technorati pick up tags enclosed in comments? This way, I can use compooter’s plugin to control the display of tags on the page, and the tags get encoded into the body of the post that goes into the RSS feed.

What do you think? (See this in action in the latest two entries on my site, which I re-saved in order to update the body_html.)

Last edited by schussat (2005-01-26 22:56:55)

-Alan

#33 2005-01-26 22:55:59

Andrew
Plugin Author

As I understand it Technorati exclusively gets your tags from RSS/Atom, whether it’s in the body of your post or in feed-specific category tags, such as <code><category></code> or <code><dc:subject></code>. I could be wrong about that though; it’s just what I took from fncll above.

edit:

ah – I see that you’ve implemented it in both.

You know, I still think that the best solution is not to hack too much and to rely on something that will most likely be integrated into the Txp core. The RSS/Atom file edits are very unobtrusive (1 or 2 line additions in all cases) and will most likely become standard someday. That in combination w/ the plugin (in its current state) would work well too.

I’ve been really busy and haven’t had much time to brainstorm lately, but there may be an even better way to do all of this…?

Last edited by compooter (2005-01-26 23:10:17)

#34 2005-01-26 23:27:25

schussat
Plugin Author
Website

> compooter wrote:

> ah – I see that you’ve implemented it in both.

Yep, but it’s all done with just two changes: Adding the same small set of lines in two places. The body_html field is the one that’s sent out in the feed, so that’s the only thing that needs to be changed.

> You know, I still think that the best solution is not to hack too much and to rely on something that will most likely be integrated into the Txp core. The RSS/Atom file edits are very unobtrusive (1 or 2 line additions in all cases) and will most likely become standard someday. That in combination w/ the plugin (in its current state) would work well too.

Yeah, I think that you’re mainly right, and I’m not eager to hack it about too much. I thought I’d give it a try, though, because using categories seems limiting; I like being able to add tags as the mood strikes and not be limited to two of them. I don’t see this as a long-term solution, but something that may work for the time-being.

-Alan

#35 2005-01-26 23:29:49

Andrew
Plugin Author

Yeah, therein lies the rub. Txp’s 2 category limit. Arg.

Lemme get my brain revved up & see if there’s something else we can muster up. What’ll probably need to happen is just do what was mentioned before, which is to create category/dc:subject tags in the feed as per the values in your keywords or custom field. So it’d kinda just do what the plugin does, but hacked into rss.php & atom.php.

notice how i always seem to edit my posts? it’s an affliction.

Last edited by compooter (2005-01-26 23:33:53)

#36 2005-01-26 23:50:07

schussat
Plugin Author
Website

Well, it looks like my temporary solution is a bust: Technorati doesn’t pay any attention to tags that are found within html comments. This is probably a sensible way of keeping out material that isn’t a “real” part of the page. So, that was a fun hour, but it won’t do much good — unless, of course, I take the comment tags out of the hack, therefore displaying the tags right in the post. There’s still some latitude here: They could be styled and such, but it’s far more limited and harder to change than if the display is controlled by a plugin.

-Alan

1. Index
  2. » Archives
  3. » Plugin: ajw_technorati_tags

Board footer