Go to main content

Textpattern CMS support forum

You are not logged in. Register | Login | Help

#1 2005-01-23 09:34:35

chrismc
Plugin Author
Website

XML-RPC for Textpattern - version 1.0 released

With excitement building over the (hopefully) imminent release of TXP v1.0, I thought it a good time to revisit my XML-RPC plugin – especially as it appears that XML-RPC will not make it into the final release.

As I now I have my hands on a Mac, I’ve been able to track down and squish the remaining “major” issues in XRT – the result is the release of XRT v1.0.

Particular emphasis has been placed on getting MarsEdit working. None of the fixes should have affected the clients that were already working OK.

You can download the ZIP file from here

Please report any issues here or in the comments on my site.

#2 2005-01-23 14:07:16

hafnius
Archived Plugin Author

Re: XML-RPC for Textpattern - version 1.0 released

Hi chrismc

Thats cool – somehow i like the words on screen “version 1.0 released” :)

But could you explain i bit why this is cooler/easiyer for me/the client to post via XML_RPC instead of just logging in to /textpattern and writing it there. Are there speciel situations where it comes in handy?

Kind Regards
/Klaus b

– Nobody puts Baby in the corner !
Johnny Castle, Dirty Dancing

#3 2005-01-23 14:39:02

JustinLow
Plugin Author
Website

Klaus, not just that, but “Textpattern – version 1.0 released”. :)

Justin

#4 2005-01-23 15:34:35

ramanan
Plugin Author
Website

A lot of people like using a rich client editor instead of a web browser; it’s just a matter of preference. If you wait and read this thread I imagine people are going to be going ape-shit over this release. There are a lot of people that have been waiting for an XML-RPC interface to TextPattern.

Also, for developers you can use this interface when programming instead of mucking around directly with tables in TextPattern.

#5 2005-01-23 17:17:23

chrismc
Plugin Author
Website

I’ve found that for non-technical users, using an offline client is often easier. Most of the clients out there are pretty similar to basic e-mail apps and have some of the basic formatting controls the user is used to. It does just come down to preference, but I’ve found less web-savvy users are more likely to use a GUI client than a web interface.

The secretary at a client I did a small job for uses w.bloggar to update the company intranet news section. She now updates most days, whereas she maybe only updated once a month when using the web interface for the script that was in place previously.

#6 2005-01-23 19:11:22

paularms
Website

Using ecto v2.2 and the Metaweblog api I am not allowed to add summaries to articles, but using the MT api I am able to add summaries.

#7 2005-01-23 19:22:02

Sencer
Archived Developer
Website

Not that this is surprising, but in an case anybody is wondering: This works flawlessly with Flickr.com, meaning that you can set it up such that you can E-Mail pictures to Flickr, which uploads it to your account, and posts an entry in your blog (you get to choose the section) including Title and Body. So if anybody wants to experiment with a moblog…

Nice! :)

#8 2005-01-23 19:26:19

mapu

Using ecto 2.2 an the MetaWeblog API I am not allowed to change if comments are allowed or not. By default it is “no”, but I can’t change it.
Using the MovabletypeAPI I can change whether comments are allowed or not, but categories get lost while sending it to the weblog.
Any hints?

Btw, this plugin is great, anyway! Thx for it!

#9 2005-01-23 20:30:59

chrismc
Plugin Author
Website

Hrm…

As far as I can remember, summaries/excerpts are an MT API extension to MetaWeblog – that’ll be why they’re not working.

On the comments issue – thanks, I didn’t pick that error up! I’m looking through the code right now. I’m also looking at the MT API categories bug – I was sure I fixed that…

Thanks for letting me know it works with Flikr. I did a test with an old version and it returned errors. I hadn’t had a chance to test the new build.

#10 2005-01-23 20:43:04

Case
Website

Thanks chrismc! Great news you got a Mac :D

Hopefully Jon Hicks will be posting his guide to textile previews in MarsEdit soon!

Forget your dreams

#11 2005-01-23 20:51:21

Case
Website

Something I’ve noticed in MarsEdit.

When using the MoveableType API excerpts work fine but categories fail. If I switch the software setting to other MetaWeblog-compatible then categories work but there is no excerpt entry field.

Is there a way to get both categories and excerpts working in MarsEdit?

Forget your dreams

#12 2005-01-23 21:41:13

chrismc
Plugin Author
Website

I’m working on fixing the category posting in the MT API. This is the only way you can have both.

To fix the problem where comments are set to “off”, change line 326 to the following:

$incoming['Annotate'] = ($entry['mt_allow_comments']) ? $entry['mt_allow_comments'] : 1;

Also change line 430 to the same.

I’ll include this fix in a 1.1 release, once I get the MT comments thing sorted!

Board footer