Go to main content

Textpattern CMS support forum

You are not logged in. Register | Login | Help

#1 2024-10-16 12:04:50

phiw13
Plugin Author
Website

MySQL 8.4LTS and Textpattern

Are there any possible issues or weird gotchas that could hide in a little corner? I expect one hosting service we use to upgrade sooner rather than later.

I installed upgraded locally and at first glance everything works as expected on two different test sites, both public side and admin side. Users can log in and change their passwords, creating, saving editing articles happens as it should as far as the DB is concerned, dito for creating and editing categories, editing forms and pages, etc. Uploading then editing metadata for images and files just works.

Creating a new site (Textpattern install process) was flawless. Creating new users was OK, I could modify the password for those users directly in the DB as before (localhost does not have a mail server configured).

Oh and BTW, I downloaded installed MySQL 8.4.2LTS. Of course, two days later, MySQL 8.4.3LTS was released… (</sigh>).

Where is that emoji for a solar powered submarine when you need it ?
Sand space – admin theme for Textpattern

#2 2024-10-16 13:29:38

jakob
Admin
Website

Re: MySQL 8.4LTS and Textpattern

I’ve been using mysql@8.4 locally via homebrew (currently 8.4.2) for quite a while and not observed any problems at all. Not sure if/how this differs from the LTS version.

TXP Builders – finely-crafted code, design and txp

#3 2024-10-16 23:56:39

phiw13
Plugin Author
Website

Thanks. That’s reassuring.

From what I understand, all 8.4.x is the current long term support version (LTS). Pete would know for sure I think.

PS – The Homebrew package omits in LTS in the name as it would fit better fit their versioning schemes.

#4 Yesterday 09:40:20

gaekwad
Server grease monkey
GitHub

phiw13 wrote #338023:

From what I understand, all 8.4.x is the current long term support version (LTS). Pete would know for sure I think.

You’re correct, on both counts. See endoflife.date/mysql for info.

Oracle MySQL 8.4.0 landed in spring 2024, Percona have their ‘remix’ on GA, so it’s getting traction. There are ~18 months of mainline support remaining in MySQL 8.0, not that it makes much difference in how it’s deployed in the real world since unsupported PHP (see endoflife.date/php for info) is rampant.

phiw13 wrote #338021:

Are there any possible issues or weird gotchas that could hide in a little corner? I expect one hosting service we use to upgrade sooner rather than later.

None that I’ve found. I’ve been running Percona-flavoured MySQL 8.4 since late August 2024 and it’s been fine. There’s a MySQL 8.4 tracking issue with some bedtime reading, if that’s your thing.

#5 Yesterday 15:55:15

bici
Website Mastodon

My Web host informed us yesterday of their new Configuration :

• PostgreSQL 11/14 → PostgreSQL 17
  • MariaDB 10.6 → Percona MySQL 8.4
  • Ruby 3.2 → Ruby 3.3
  • System Python 2.7 → Python 3.9
  • Default PHP 7.3 → PHP 8.3
  • Apache 2.4.6 → Apache 2.4.57
  • Kernel 3.10.0 → Kernel 5.14.0

I am assuming this will mean a smooth transition to TXP 4.9

…. texted postive

#6 Yesterday 16:39:47

gaekwad
Server grease monkey
GitHub

bici wrote #338025:

• MariaDB 10.6 → Percona MySQL 8.4

In theory, this should be fine, but it’s brave on their part. (Edit: I’m curious why they haven’t gone MariaDB 10.6 to MariaDB 11.4, I’m sure there are good reasons.) There are subtle differences in the architecture of MariaDB and Percona, and differences in names for the various binaries that run things, but it should be smooth sailing. I literally only looked at MariaDB recently as it has ARM64 support (this was prior to Percona releasing 8.4.0 packages with ARM64 support, the compile from source route is pretty hellish for Persona stuff and I’m not that brave where deadlines are looming).

• Default PHP 7.3 → PHP 8.3

Wheeeee! That’s a big jump. Are they only offering PHP 8.3, or is that the newest of a few versions?

• Apache 2.4.6 → Apache 2.4.57

Nothing to see here. Apache 2.4.0 came out 12 years ago and they keep it simmering nicely.

• Kernel 3.10.0 → Kernel 5.14.0

My instinct is telling me they’ve gone from…either CentOS or Red Hat to…Rocky or Alma Linux. Am I close?

Last edited by gaekwad (Yesterday 16:42:15)

#7 Yesterday 23:25:59

phiw13
Plugin Author
Website

gaekwad wrote #338026:

My instinct is telling me they’ve gone from…either CentOS or Red Hat to…Rocky or Alma Linux. Am I close?

Alma Linux (coming from CentOS).

And yes PHP 8.3 will be (for now) the only option installed by default. Users can always add/install their own, afaik. I am assuming the underlying system libraries are not an issue. Your favourite PHP 5.23 might be difficult to set up.

Existing/current users can stay on the their current configuration for a while. The New Shinny Thing will require migration to the new iron.

#8 Today 00:30:42

bici
Website Mastodon

phiw13 wrote #338027:

Alma Linux (coming from CentOS).

And yes PHP 8.3 will be (for now) the only option installed by default. Users can always add/install their own, afaik. I am assuming the underlying system libraries are not an issue. Your favourite PHP 5.23 might be difficult to set up.

Existing/current users can stay on the their current configuration for a while. The New Shinny Thing will require migration to the new iron.

Shared servers will be running on AlmaLinux 9 instead of CentOS 7.

…. texted postive

Board footer