Go to main content

Textpattern CMS support forum

You are not logged in. Register | Login | Help

#1 2024-08-26 17:00:38

gaekwad
Server grease monkey
GitHub

Can I suppress "New Textpattern pre-release version" info on Diags?

New Textpattern pre-release version 4.9.0-beta.1 available for download. Please visit the Textpattern website for more information.

Hooray!

…but I don’t want to see that notification in Diagnostics for some sites. Can I turn it off? Perhaps in a config.php setting, or other wizardry.

Bonus points for disabling notifications for production versions, too.

#2 2024-08-26 20:09:45

Bloke
Developer
Website GitHub

Re: Can I suppress "New Textpattern pre-release version" info on Diags?

You can’t at the moment but we could add something in config.php, perhaps, as you suggest. Seems a bit edge-casey to offer a “Check for updates?” Yes/No radio in Prefs.

The smd plugin menagerie — for when you need one more gribble of power from Textpattern. Bleeding-edge code available on GitHub.

Txp Builders – finely-crafted code, design and Txp

#3 2024-08-27 00:40:07

phiw13
Plugin Author
Website

Bloke wrote #337724:

You can’t at the moment but we could add something in config.php, perhaps, as you suggest. Seems a bit edge-casey to offer a “Check for updates?” Yes/No radio in Prefs.

Check for updates? Meaning: only stable-release updates. Or: “Check for pre-release updates?” Yes/No, where checking for full release (4.9.0, 4.9.1,…5.0.0…) is automatic. “pre-release ” could be labeled “beta” as well.

Vienna-RSS has this option in the advanced preferences panel for example. Recent macOS versions have this option as well (screen grab).

–^–

gaekwad wrote #337723:

…but I don’t want to see that notification in Diagnostics for some sites. Can I turn it off?

Meanwhile, you can hide it in a custom.css inside the admin theme in use:

#pre_flight_check .information { display:none; }

Reload panel, enjoy. Note that this will hide all “information”-type notices in that block.

Where is that emoji for a solar powered submarine when you need it ?
Sand space – admin theme for Textpattern

#4 2024-08-27 05:29:48

Bloke
Developer
Website GitHub

Happy to add a pref if it is a more widely sought after feature not to want the latest version mentioned.

The smd plugin menagerie — for when you need one more gribble of power from Textpattern. Bleeding-edge code available on GitHub.

Txp Builders – finely-crafted code, design and Txp

#5 2024-08-27 11:40:45

gaekwad
Server grease monkey
GitHub

Thanks, Bloke and phiw13.

Context: I have a bunch of Textpattern sites, some are live, some are being built, some are dev sites. The preflight checks are how I gauge ‘readiness’ for a site. Green (good) text, all checks passed, that’s fine by me, please drive through, etc.

The notification of a new version available overrides the green (good) text, and it’s blue (informational) in my dark mode Textpattern theme, so it’s a cognitive ‘bump’ from what I’m expecting. I won’t see the green (good) text until December or so when 4.9.0 is unleashed.

It’d be nice to be able to dismiss that blue notification, especially given the months-long incubation period that we have with 4.9.0. It looks like I can use phiw13’s CSS override to achieve that, if all checks pass that presumably has another CSS class that’s not .information.

Board footer