Go to main content

Textpattern CMS support forum

You are not logged in. Register | Login | Help

#13 2024-05-18 09:32:02

Bloke
Developer
Website GitHub

Re: RFC: Production status per section / article / theme

I agree, Robert. I prefer convention over prefs any day. It’s so much nicer if stuff just works because that’s the way it’s designed.

We should tidy the prefs up and do some more convention work in Txp 5. Like, do we really need the Doctype switch any more? Does anybody need xhtml style output for the entire site? Let’s start a new thread sometime and discuss where we can optimize or eradicate prefs.

And note to self: offer a pref search feature somehow that, when used, hides the sidebar and lists any prefs with matching text.

colak wrote #337211:

Wouldn’t be a good a good idea if debug and dev had an option to only show if logged in?

No! Dev already does that, by convention. And it works beautifully.

I don’t really see the need for its option in prefs to enable/disable the feature, personally. But I guess it saves a few clicks to uncheck ‘dev’ each time you mess with sections and pages, so it helps admins who prefer making changes to live code. I’d far rather the dev lane experience is all we have. People can still not use it if they check the ‘Live’ checkbox when making changes to section assignments.

If at all possible I’d like to give people control over whether arbitrary areas of their site show debug or not, to override the setting. That allows for temporary verification of things without having to toggle the switch from Production, which often shows unwanted debug output.

No idea how we achieve that. I thought a tag would work but Oleg is right that it’s more complicated than anticipated due to the way error suppression works. We might have to retool our error handlers with callbacks that core and/or plugins can use to change the debug level that way.

The smd plugin menagerie — for when you need one more gribble of power from Textpattern. Bleeding-edge code available on GitHub.

Txp Builders – finely-crafted code, design and Txp

#14 2024-05-18 09:33:18

etc
Developer
Website GitHub

colak wrote #337211:

Wouldn’t be a good a good idea if debug and dev had an option to only show if logged in?

Dev preview is already working like this, and the plugin above hides debugging info from site visitors. Should it be a core option? Maybe, but Robert wouldn’t appreciate :-)

wet wrote #337212:

Somewhat related, but purely personal opinion: Methinks Txp has grown a very opulent set of new and specific preferences along with the extension of functionality.

Quite agree, though I personally do not worry as long as txp stays lightweight and fast. That’s why we suggest that txp5 does not carry about bwc too much.

I often feel slightly distracted and find myself digging around in the ‘Preferences’ sub-tabs looking for an option I know is there somewhere.

Please feel free to launch a discussion about (now) useless features, we will prune them with pleasure.

tl;dr: Everything was better in the old ages ;)

Tomorrow will be even worse then, enjoy the present :-)

#15 2024-05-18 09:37:56

etc
Developer
Website GitHub

Bloke wrote #337214:

I thought a tag would work but Oleg is right that it’s more complicated than anticipated due to the way error suppression works. We might have to retool our error handlers with callbacks that core and/or plugins can use to change the debug level that way.

Even if it works, having to remove debugging tags (or global attributes?) once everything is nailed is cumbersome.

#16 2024-05-18 09:54:22

Bloke
Developer
Website GitHub

etc wrote #337216:

Even if it works, having to remove debugging tags (or global attributes?) once everything is nailed is cumbersome.

I agree.

The smd plugin menagerie — for when you need one more gribble of power from Textpattern. Bleeding-edge code available on GitHub.

#17 2024-05-18 09:57:01

Bloke
Developer
Website GitHub

Bloke wrote #337214:

offer a pref search feature somehow that, when used, hides the sidebar and lists any prefs with matching text.

Noted

#18 2024-05-19 21:26:49

gaekwad
Server grease monkey
GitHub

Thanks, everyone – it looks like this is out of scope. Closing!

Board footer