Go to main content

Textpattern CMS support forum

You are not logged in. Register | Login | Help

#1 2024-05-07 12:54:39

jakob
Admin
Website

Checking email formatting on various email clients?

Does anyone know of a free (or cheap) way to check the display of an email signature in various email clients?

I have a simple email signature written in old-style HTML – inline styles, table layout, etc. 🙄 – that works in most email programs I have tried but collapses padding / line-height etc. in some, such as older Outlook versions. I want to quickly test it without forking out for a subscription just to test one thing. All tips welcome!

TXP Builders – finely-crafted code, design and txp

#2 2024-05-09 03:37:11

kuopassa
Plugin Author
Website

Re: Checking email formatting on various email clients?

How about a group effort? Send me an email and I’ll test it in Roundcube and Thunderbird. :-)

#3 2024-05-09 10:16:10

uli

kuopassa wrote #337147:

How about a group effort?

Nice idea!

If it’s of any use to you, jakob, I could help with views from FairEmail and Aquamail (Android) as well as an older Apple Mail.

In bad weather I never leave home without wet_plugout, smd_where_used and adi_form_links

#4 2024-05-09 12:41:53

Vienuolis
Website GitHub GitLab Twitter

In addition to Fairemail on Android and Thunderbird on NomadBSD, I can also check email by POP Peeper, Pegasus Mail, Vivaldi Mail, and Outlook on Windows, as well as Horde webmail on Nextcloud, and by Outlook.com.

#5 2024-05-09 14:32:18

gaekwad
Server grease monkey
GitHub

www.caniemail.com might be worth a look.

#6 2024-05-09 20:48:09

jakob
Admin
Website

Thanks all. Maybe I’ll get back to you on the crowd-testing but it quickly gets boring for everyone when trial-and-error iterating.

However, I had forgotten about caniemail.com and that gives me three very obvious answers about the main culprits:

padding, line-height and min-width have overwhelmingly bad support in outlook on windows, which was where I noticed it to begin with. Support elsewhere seems to be relatively good.

I’d never heard of mso-line-height-rule: exactly; and mso-padding-alt until now, but they’re explained a bit here (FYI: medium link). I’ll try them out, but if they don’t help, I’ll probably need to add table cells to achieve top and bottom padding or to make labels and their values align (i.e. to replace min-width).

TXP Builders – finely-crafted code, design and txp

Board footer