Go to main content

Textpattern CMS support forum

You are not logged in. Register | Login | Help

#25 2004-12-16 02:00:41

Destry
Website

Re: [wiki] User Manual

<em>Alicson wrote: <br />
<blockquote>”…speaking of this point… where are we now? how shall we proceed?”</blockquote></em>

Good question. If anyone has been following along (and you probably have if your here, hopefully), then it should be pretty clear that this effort was made in good intentions, and for the purpose of filling a long past due need — formal user documentation.

I thought I had made a pretty thorough search in the forum to see if there was some other effort in progress, because if there was one, it wasn’t my intention to duplicate. We all have better things to do.

However, it turns out I missed a couple of important threads where Dean himself talks about a user manual effort he (or somebody) is is apparently working on. The revelation of which seems to be with the release of TxP v 1.0.

The threads where you can read about it yourself are…

<ul><li><em><a href=“http://forum.textpattern.com/viewtopic.php?id=1477”>Where are the basic instructions? Step A…Step B…Step C..?</a></em></li>
<li><em><a href=“http://forum.textpattern.com/viewtopic.php?id=98”>Documentation?</a></em></li></ul>

Naturally, upon discovernig this (today or last night, I’ve lost track), I immediately wrote Dean an email to see if I had in fact ran afoul, and to beg pardon if I had. I also asked for his words of enlightenment in return. The verdict is still out, and as such, it’s probably prudent to not get too revved-up with anything else until the verdict is in.

<hr />
EDIT: Well, taking a closer look at those threads, it seems that was banter clear back in February 2004, and the v 1.0 was actually the 1.0rc1 release (apparently that target was missed). So, maybe the new effort here isn’t dead yet.

By the way, assuming everything is fine to proceed, the wiki is only intended to get something going until a better place is realized, especially if nobody is happy with the wiki. (I too find the wiki to be very unfriendly, but it is a start until something else is clear.)

Oh, and the user manual, for this effort anyway, is now officially dubbed “<em><strong>TextBook</strong></em>.”

Last edited by Destry (2004-12-16 02:27:02)

#26 2004-12-16 06:31:59

Remillard
Plugin Author

Just as a note, SDF is having trouble I guess. I can’t seem to get to it via web or ssh.

I have a brand spanking new Textdrive account, and will be moving the wiki there as soon as is reasonable (read: there’s a lot of information I just got e-mailed to me and I’m still sorting through it ;-)). I think TXD will be much better at handling the wiki backend code than SDF. More oomph.

EDIT: Well it’s back, but I think it’s still lacking oomph. The MediaWiki code is significantly complex.

Last edited by Remillard (2004-12-16 06:51:54)

#27 2004-12-16 11:54:27

Dean
Founder (Gone, but not forgotten)
Website

Hey, this is great! I endorse it to the hilt, and I think MediaWiki is the right tool for the job. Shall we put it at textpattern.net?

text*

#28 2004-12-16 13:23:08

Destry
Website

Wha-hoooo! A Dean endorsement. I for one think that putting there would be good. Keeps the work…<em>centralized</em>.

Thanks for the shout, Dean.

#29 2004-12-16 14:04:26

Destry
Website

I can’t seem to edit my posts in this thread. I can add a new post (obviously). I’m getting this error…

<blockquote>“Precondition Failed

The precondition on the request for the URL /edit.php evaluated to false.”</blockquote>

Gremlin?

#30 2004-12-16 14:27:39

Dean
Founder (Gone, but not forgotten)
Website

try using forum.textpattern.com rather than textpattern.com/forum and see if that makes a difference.

text*

#31 2004-12-16 14:35:05

Destry
Website

That’s what I was (am) using, but still no go. Same error.

EDIT: Maybe I’ve reached my quota ;)

Hey, it works again. Never mind, I guess.

EDIT: Well it seems to be a hit or miss situation. I’m trying to edit the first post of this thread, but can’t get into it (same error). I do seem to be able to edit this post though. Strange. Maybe because that other post is so far up the chain, and on another page? (naw)

Last edited by Destry (2004-12-16 14:44:36)

#32 2004-12-16 15:45:58

Remillard
Plugin Author

This is happening with Textpattern Resources and a few other spots on Textdrive. It’s funny (strange funny, not ha-ha funny) that it’s only on one particular section “Tips”. Individual articles will load, sans CSS, but the entire section generates the 412 Precondition Error. With the individual articles, if the css source is viewed, it shows that there was a 412 Precondition Error on fetching the CSS code. All other sections view normally!

#33 2004-12-16 15:47:19

Remillard
Plugin Author

Oh, as far as where the MediaWiki is stashed, there’s really not much that’s on the current one that can’t be duplicated. If it moves, now would be a very good time :). Textpattern.net seems like a good name though somehow ;-).

#34 2004-12-16 15:58:09

Destry
Website

OK, this is a test. I’m trying to add about four paragraphs of text that address <em>TextBook</em> structure and presentation, but I can’t do it, I get that same damn error. But let’s see if this little bit of text goes through…

EDIT: Well, not only did it go through, but I can edit too. So it seems there might be a problem with large blocks of text (large posts)?

EDIT: Certainly the capability is there, as I’ve edited the header post several times before to keep it updated, and obviously it was quite a large post to begin with. Strange. That’s about all the clues I can give.

Last edited by Destry (2004-12-16 16:02:23)

#35 2004-12-16 16:01:47

Remillard
Plugin Author

I have a sneaking suspicion it might be specific words, or word combinations.

#36 2004-12-16 16:16:04

Destry
Website

That wouldn’t explain why I can’t edit a couple of typos in the header post. All that content is already there.

Can’t edit certain posts, can’t add certain new posts. I don’t know why, but it sucks.

Anyway, I hate talking about it here, would rather keep this thread focused on the subject of <em>TextBook</em>.

Last edited by Destry (2004-12-16 16:18:23)

Board footer