Go to main content

Textpattern CMS support forum

You are not logged in. Register | Login | Help

#1 2023-08-10 00:26:29

phiw13
Plugin Author
Website

Colour tools for the oklch() age

A colour picker: oklch.com/ by Evilmartians (story here ). There are a few others around, all of them allow for easy conversion between formats. The advantage of this one is that it immediately flags a colour as being out-of-gamut or display-p3 gamut only.

A colour contrast analyser: www.oddcontrast.com (by Odd birds) that allows input of oklch() colours

Last edited by phiw13 (2023-08-10 00:27:15)

Where is that emoji for a solar powered submarine when you need it ?
Sand space – admin theme for Textpattern

#2 2023-08-22 15:20:33

Algaris

Re: Colour tools for the oklch() age

Very interesting. Thank you for posting this. I’m always on the lookout for ways to improve the use of colour in my projects.

Currently I’m heavily invested in HSLA and SASS for my colours. I define them all as SASS variables using HSLA and then use SASSscale-color to fluidly scale their properties as needed. Sometimes I even write SASS functions to help me with this.

If I can get OKLCH to work with SASS I might transition over. In the meantime you’ve given me a lot of reading and research to do in order to fully understand fully how OKLCH works.

#3 2023-08-23 00:42:53

phiw13
Plugin Author
Website

Re: Colour tools for the oklch() age

OKLCH will certainly work with SASS. I don’t know if the scale-color will work it. I mostly stopped using SASS and moved to using CSS custom properties, personally.

In case you have not seen it, here is one more article by Lea Verou which has nice images illustrating some of the limitations of the hsl() model.

Me want browsers to support images in the lab() colour model. Dream within a dream within a dream :-(.

Where is that emoji for a solar powered submarine when you need it ?
Sand space – admin theme for Textpattern

Board footer