Go to main content

Textpattern CMS support forum

You are not logged in. Register | Login | Help

#1 2023-05-19 06:38:40

colak
Admin
Website GitHub Mastodon Twitter

Chromium issue

Recently I noticed that the cookie consent divs for youtube videos are not displaying in chromium based browsers (Brave and Chrome). I am pulling my hair as I cannot understand why. Can someone shed some thoughts on what may be blocking that content which actually shows in the source of the pages?

Sample url: www.neme.org/projects/state-machines/unbuilding-citizenship

Yiannis
——————————
NeMe | hblack.art | EMAP | A Sea change | Toolkit of Care
I do my best editing after I click on the submit button.

#2 2023-05-19 07:25:27

phiw13
Plugin Author
Website

Re: Chromium issue

Do you mean the div.gdpr does not display at all? (a box with a yellow background, at the top a still or poster image, at the bottom some legaleze)

Safari does not display that div here, but Firefox and Brave both do.
And as a result, I cannot watch the video.

I suspect a possible adblocker issue.

Where is that emoji for a solar powered submarine when you need it ?
Sand space – admin theme for Textpattern

#3 2023-05-19 07:28:47

Bloke
Developer
Website GitHub

The block at the bottom shows fine for me in Chrome for mobile.

The smd plugin menagerie — for when you need one more gribble of power from Textpattern. Bleeding-edge code available on GitHub.

Txp Builders – finely-crafted code, design and Txp

#4 2023-05-19 14:13:46

Pat64
Plugin Author
GitHub Twitter

Hi, Yiannis.

Here are some screenshots from the (real browsers) lambdatest.com Platform.

https://postimg.cc/gallery/by5Qrbm

Patrick.

Github | CodePen | Codier | Simplr theme | Wait Me: a maintenance theme | [\a mi.ni.ma]: a “Low Tech” simple Blog theme.

#5 2023-05-19 23:38:00

phiw13
Plugin Author
Website

phiw13 wrote #335436:

I suspect a possible adblocker issue.

That is indeed the case – both #eucookies and .gdpr are in the list (in 1Blocker: “annoyances” category – there are quite a few of those “eu cookie” thingies in the group). The source is easylist.to, used by many/most ad&content blockers.

#6 2023-05-22 14:09:15

colak
Admin

phiw13 wrote #335439:

That is indeed the case – both #eucookies and .gdpr are in the list (in 1Blocker: “annoyances” category – there are quite a few of those “eu cookie” thingies in the group). The source is easylist.to, used by many/most ad&content blockers.

Firstly apologies for my late response. I was stranded abroad without my power supply.

That was indeed the problem. I replaced gdpr with the title of my favourite John Carpenter movie (theylive) and eucookies with soylentgreen and everything appears to have come back again.

Yiannis
——————————

#7 2023-05-22 22:26:43

phiw13
Plugin Author
Website

colak wrote #335440:

I replaced gdpr with the title of my favourite John Carpenter movie (theylive) and eucookies with soylentgreen and everything appears to have come back again.

That is a good strategy – using completely unrelated “tags”. Another strategy, used e.g. by the WSJ site is using random generated ids and classes that commonly used on the site.

BTW – Same thing applies to comments, many variations of comments-*** are included in contents-blockers. The default TXP comments set-up is hidden by many contents-blockers.

#8 2023-05-23 06:01:11

Bloke
Developer
Website GitHub

phiw13 wrote #335441:

Same thing applies to comments, many variations of comments-*** are included in contents-blockers. The default TXP comments set-up is hidden by many contents-blockers.

Is there an argument to change it then, somehow? Make the prefix customisable from config.php, perhaps, in case someone gets blocked?

The smd plugin menagerie — for when you need one more gribble of power from Textpattern. Bleeding-edge code available on GitHub.

#9 2023-05-23 06:28:10

colak
Admin

phiw13 wrote #335441:

BTW – Same thing applies to comments, many variations of comments-*** are included in contents-blockers. The default TXP comments set-up is hidden by many contents-blockers.

Good catch!!!

Submitted it as a issue.

Yiannis
——————————

#10 2023-05-23 06:32:04

colak
Admin

Bloke wrote #335443:

Is there an argument to change it then, somehow? Make the prefix customisable from config.php, perhaps, in case someone gets blocked?

I was posting as you were writing. I actually believe that we should change the default class and id. Can. it be customised in the preferences instead of the config file?

Yiannis
——————————

#11 2023-05-23 06:39:44

phiw13
Plugin Author
Website

Bloke wrote #335443:

I am not sure about comments, honestly. Those blocks exists for people who want to tune out the noise, and / or not be distracted by those comments. They come to the site to read the main content (video / article (text) / …). It is kinda nice to respect their choice.

Most contents blockers offer per-site configuration options, nowadays, I think.
(and IIRC, my content blocker – 1Blocker – initial set up had the comments block category turned off. But don’t quote me on that. It has been humming along for so long…).

BTW – as fas as I can tell, in the Textpattern case the comments form is visible but the actual comments are hidden (.comments-list).

#12 2023-05-23 08:49:12

Bloke
Developer
Website GitHub

I’m fine with leaving it. Thinking it through a bit more, customising is not an option as it also affects the CSS file. Can’t think of a neat way round that.

Board footer