Go to main content

Textpattern CMS support forum

You are not logged in. Register | Login | Help

#1 2023-05-15 12:26:52

jlayt

Site styles/theme broken by upgrade to >= 4.7

It’s fallen to me (with minimal TXP experience) to upgrade an ancient v4.0.8 site to the latest TXP and move it off PHP 5.6. I’ve been testing on a copy of the site in a series of steps, namely 4.0.8 -> 4.2.0 -> 4.5.7 -> 4.8.8. The upgrade up to 4.5.7 went fine with the site appearing as it should. With the upgrade to 4.8.8 however all styling has broken on the site. As far as I can see, the Styes/Pages/Sections are all intact and referenced by the auto-created Theme from the upgrade script, but it’s just not being applied to the site. I’ve tried saving various Styles/Pages/Sections again, as well as the default Theme, but no joy. Diagnostics doesn’t report any issues, and checking dev tools there’s no obvious errors that would be the cause.

I’ve read through the docs, and it seems the upgrade should all just work automatically. Am I missing something simple here? Any hints where to look?

I would post links to the sites, but I don’t think publicly outing a 4.0.8 site is the best idea from a security viewpoint!

#2 2023-05-15 16:08:54

bici
Website Mastodon

Re: Site styles/theme broken by upgrade to >= 4.7

Have you checked to see that the file paths to the css files are ok. Are file/directories permissions correct?

…. texted postive

#3 2023-05-16 08:16:46

jlayt

Thanks for the suggestion, but we’re not using static CSS files, we’re serving them from the database. Unless I misunderstand that process? My TXP knowledge is basically zero.

#4 2023-05-16 09:33:25

Bloke
Developer
Website GitHub

If you’re serving them from the database then that’s rather baffling. Hmmmm.

If you wouldn’t mind sharing the site link with me by PM, I could take a quick look at the code and see if there’s anything that might give us a clue.

The smd plugin menagerie — for when you need one more gribble of power from Textpattern. Bleeding-edge code available on GitHub.

Txp Builders – finely-crafted code, design and Txp

#5 2023-05-17 10:12:15

jlayt

Thanks to Stef’s amazing help, this problem is now solved.

He spotted that there was a Style present on the old site that was missing on the new site. This Style had all the common template css used on the site. On the old site it was being included using a txp:css tag in the header Form, but it was mysteriously missing from the new (did the upgrade strip it as it used an ‘n’ attribute instead of ‘name’?). The solution was to simply add the css tag back to the header Form and the site is 100% again.

As I said to Stef, I am amazed at just how robust TXP is and how easy it was to upgrade a 15 year-old site to the latest version with only 1 line needing to be fixed. Sure beats the WP and Drupal nightmares I’ve had! Many thanks for taking the care to build such a solid tool.

#6 2023-05-17 22:54:38

uli

jlayt wrote #335433:

did the upgrade strip it as it used an ‘n’ attribute instead of ‘name’?

n’s simply been the ancient syntax.

In bad weather I never leave home without wet_plugout, smd_where_used and adi_form_links

#7 2023-05-23 16:36:58

gaekwad
Server grease monkey
GitHub

jlayt wrote #335433:

Thanks to Stef’s amazing help, this problem is now solved.

I never, ever get tired of hearing this.

As I said to Stef, I am amazed at just how robust TXP is and how easy it was to upgrade a 15 year-old site to the latest version with only 1 line needing to be fixed. Sure beats the WP and Drupal nightmares I’ve had! Many thanks for taking the care to build such a solid tool.

See above!

Board footer