Textpattern CMS support forum

You are not logged in. Register | Login | Help

#13 2023-03-02 16:15:27

gaekwad
Server grease monkey
GitHub

Re: Upgrading PHP on macOS Catalina

Algaris wrote #334849:

How different is Debian to Ubuntu? I know that Ubuntu is based off Debian but that’s about it, I’ve never really used it before.

High level…

Canonical maintain Ubuntu and The Debian Project maintain Debian. Canonical are a for-profit company, The Debian Project isn’t.

Here’s Canonical’s take on Debian: ubuntu.com/community/governance/debian
Here’s Debian’s take on Ubuntu: wiki.debian.org/Ubuntu

Would there be much of a learning curve if I was to migrate away from Ubuntu to Debian (command differences etc.)? I mostly run web applications such as Textpattern, WordPress, and Moodle and use Apache, PHP, Samba, OpenSSH, MySQL, etc.

The command line stuff is similar aside from the Ubuntu-only stuff, the release schedule is different, the release support term is different…so from an ops point of of view, not a vast amount changes.

Honestly, the fact Debian doesn’t have this Snap silliness is enough to tempt me. I’m not quite brave enough to relearn stuff to run FreeBSD yet, but that’ll come in time. Maybe. Dunno.

#14 2023-03-03 09:27:22

Algaris

Interesting, thank you. When I have some free time (at work or home) I might spin up a Debian server and take a look at it.

I realise that I’m derailing Stef’s thread further, but what benefits are there in using FreeBSD over Debian or Ubuntu? I took a look at their website, it’s rather text heavy and looks like something out of the 2000’s.

#15 2023-03-04 10:32:35

gaekwad
Server grease monkey
GitHub

Algaris wrote #334879:

I realise that I’m derailing Stef’s thread further

Hey, a lot of us do that around here, don’t feel bad…it’s all love, really.

but what benefits are there in using FreeBSD over Debian or Ubuntu? I took a look at their website, it’s rather text heavy and looks like something out of the 2000’s.

Some light reading:

I have a fondness for FreeBSD, given it was my first UNIX-like OS back in 1999. The network stack is very sturdy. The security is excellent. The documentation is outstanding. The stability is, in my experience, better than any Linux distribution I’ve used in production. I haven’t deployed to it for production stuff in a few years, so I’m a bit rusty with current happenings, but my instinct says that what mattered 5-10 years ago hasn’t changed – in a good way – so when the time is right I’ll dip my toe back in and get back to it.

Right now, honestly, Linux distributions are well-supported by the hosting I use and crucially there’s a level of knowledge with other people on the teams I’m on so if/when I get squashed by a bus stuff will carry on without me. I don’t want to be a single point of failure, that bothers me.

edit: clarity.

Last edited by gaekwad (2023-03-04 10:33:32)

Board footer