Go to main content

Textpattern CMS support forum

You are not logged in. Register | Login | Help

#1 2023-02-23 14:29:45

lindabb

how to use mail

Hello,
I just downloaded latest development source 4.8.9, looks very good, I see mail option when I go to Adamin -> Preferences.
there is option to use SMTP, (perfect option)
can someone please help me to figure out how to use it to send email ? or at least how to get those values,

Thank you

#2 2023-02-23 15:00:41

Bloke
Developer
Website GitHub

Re: how to use mail

It depends what mail server you want to use. Most of them use port 465 or 587 depending on which protocol they’ve chosen (SSL or TLS, respectively).

If you search for how to setup a mail client for SMTP, you’ll usually find a bunch of resources that should list the service you want to use, and how to set your client (i.e. Textpattern) up to use it. For example, this one is for Gmail.

The smd plugin menagerie — for when you need one more gribble of power from Textpattern. Bleeding-edge code available on GitHub.

Txp Builders – finely-crafted code, design and Txp

#3 2023-02-23 15:19:40

lindabb

Thank you for your reply,
Yes I know how setup SMTP server, I will use TLS port 465.
what is the purpose of those settings in Adamin -> Preferences. ?
How I call those settings on the page and what is the email function, tag in textpattern ?
I’m looking for awy to send email using my smtp settings in Adamin -> Preferences
Already I setup the smtp there, and I know works with my previous PHPMailer

Thank you

Last edited by lindabb (2023-02-23 15:23:39)

#4 2023-02-23 15:27:34

Bloke
Developer
Website GitHub

Ah, gotcha. Textpattern itself will use the settings to send out system emails such as registration and password resets. But to make a contact form or other data capture form, you’ll need a plugin such as com_connect.

If you set the Use Advanced Mail checkbox, mail will be routed via PHPMailer, otherwise it will fallback on the system’s mail() function.

Since you’re using the dev code, be sure to install the com_connect 4.9.0 branch which is wired up to use the new settings.

The smd plugin menagerie — for when you need one more gribble of power from Textpattern. Bleeding-edge code available on GitHub.

Txp Builders – finely-crafted code, design and Txp

#5 2023-02-23 17:14:34

lindabb

Thank you Bloke,
You are very helpful , I appreciate your help as always!
your suggestion worked very well, I was able to get email from contact form.

Thanks again for all your help

Board footer