Go to main content

Textpattern CMS support forum

You are not logged in. Register | Login | Help

#1 2023-01-09 15:31:29

Bloke
Developer
Website GitHub

Migrating MAMP installations between computers

Has anybody done this en masse? I’ve got about thirty various installs, most of which I want to keep, on an old Macbook. I’ve got the htdocs folder because it’s on a 2nd drive in a caddy that I’ve moved across to the new machine, but silly me (?) didn’t alter the path to the DBs folder so I assume they’re all still on the old machine’s SSD in the MAMP folder hierarchy somewhere.

I presumed, once I located the disk folder that holds them all, I can just copy the contents over to the new MAMP folder on the new machine and fire up MAMP. But not a single person on the interweb I can find says this is a valid way to do it. They all say to visit phpMyAdmin on the old machine, select each database and back it up individually to create a bunch of .sql files. Then on the new machine, open phpMyAdmin and create a database for each one, and import the corresponding data.

Seriously? Is that the only migration path? There has to be a more efficient way to do it.

I’m going to try copying the folder contents across anyway, but I just wondered if anyone had done this before and maybe has some pointers on whether it works and/or pitfalls or scripts I could use to make it a bit less labour intensive.

Ta!

The smd plugin menagerie — for when you need one more gribble of power from Textpattern. Bleeding-edge code available on GitHub.

Txp Builders – finely-crafted code, design and Txp

#2 2023-01-09 19:00:09

Bloke
Developer
Website GitHub

Re: Migrating MAMP installations between computers

And in answer to my own question…

1. Copy the contents of the /Applications/MAMP/db/mysql57 directory to a USB stick.
  2. On the target machine, ensure MAMP isn’t running, and paste the copied contents into the same destination directory. Choose Skip to bypass overwriting older files of the same name.
  3. Restart MAMP.
  4. Profit.

Quite why nobody (or at least comparatively nobody) offers this is a valid route is beyond me. Simple and fast. Maybe it only works if you have InnoDB databases (which I’m using)?

The smd plugin menagerie — for when you need one more gribble of power from Textpattern. Bleeding-edge code available on GitHub.

#3 2023-01-09 21:38:01

bici
Website Mastodon

Bloke wrote #334479:

Quite why nobody (or at least comparatively nobody) offers this is a valid route is beyond me. Simple and fast.

hooray for small victories

…. texted postive

#4 2023-01-10 14:50:13

Algaris

Not that this helps or is relevant to your thread ;-) but I gave up with MAMP after numerous headaches, things going wrong, and deciding I’d rather keep my LAMP stack separate from my Mac.

I now run my own Ubuntu server on a dedicated machine and SSH into it. Eventually I’ll get around to installing TrueNAS Scale and spin up individual virtual machines as and when I need them.

Apologies for the off topic tangent.

#5 2023-01-10 18:42:36

Bloke
Developer
Website GitHub

Intriguing. MAMP is collosal now. Like, 1.7GB big. Julian pointed me to Valet, which I might try. But having a dedicated LAMP stack in my pocket appeals. And I have a bunch of Raspberry Pi boards doing nothing.

I wonder if I could coerce one of those into being a server that I can plug in and auto start the relevant services so I can just point the browser at it. Less immediacy for spinning up a new instance, but there might be a way to streamline that. Hmmm. Mapping multiple PHP versions for various installs might be fun, but probably doable.

#6 2023-01-11 09:45:12

Algaris

Bloke wrote #334490:

Julian pointed me to Valet, which I might try.

I tried Valet and it seems to do the job pretty well. I just kept getting myself in a tangle setting things up, which is why I went the dedicated machine root rather than messing my Mac up.

Bloke wrote #334490:

But having a dedicated LAMP stack in my pocket appeals. And I have a bunch of Raspberry Pi boards doing nothing.

This is how I started with Ubuntu Server for Raspberry Pi. It was only when I realised I might need to purchase multiple Pi’s for my various projects that I decided to investigate setting up virtual machines on a dedicated Linux workstation.

Board footer