Go to main content

Textpattern CMS support forum

You are not logged in. Register | Login | Help

#1 2022-12-20 07:46:38

lucidkarn
Website

Can't add new users, the activation mail won't reach the inbox

I’m currently wanting somebody else in my website to write some articles, but when I add new users, there is a notification that verification mail is being sent. However, nothing reached their inbox. Thus, they couldn’t login nor set password. Anyone could help?

#2 2022-12-20 08:03:06

Dragondz
Website GitHub Twitter

Re: Can't add new users, the activation mail won't reach the inbox

Hi and welcome to the textpattern community

That could be many reasons, you should try to debug a little the situation to see where the problem is.

Check in the admin / Diagnostic page if your install is ok.

First try to add user with one of your own emails to see if you receive it yourself ? Check spam folder.

Let us know the results of that and if it s not solved we will check more things.

Cheers.

#3 2022-12-20 08:08:41

lucidkarn
Website

No, it’s not even in the spam folder.

My diagnostic page is saying everything besides files write permission is denied. (but I don’t need to upload files right now so I’ll set that aside)

Also, thanks for having me. I just hosted my first website. :)

#4 2022-12-20 08:41:32

jakob
Admin
Website

Dragondz wrote #334335:

First try to add user with one of your own emails to see if you receive it yourself ? Check spam folder.

I’d echo that.

Also try setting “SMTP envelope sender address” on the Admin › Preferences › Admin pane to an email address that has the same domain name as the website where you’ve installed Textpattern (i.e. if your website is https://example.com, you might use youexample.com@). That email address should already be set up on your host. The reason is some hosts will not permit sending emails from other sender addresses.

If you have no luck, you could also ask your host. They can almost always track whether emails are being sent or blocked via their system.

TXP Builders – finely-crafted code, design and txp

#5 2022-12-20 09:27:28

lucidkarn
Website

I just contacted the hosting service.

They said SMTP configurations will be having the details such as SMTP Host, Port, Encryption, etc.

Any ways to setup these manually?

#6 2022-12-20 09:52:16

jakob
Admin
Website

In version 4.8.8, there’s only the option to set “SMTP envelope sender address”. That has often solved it for me, but in the forthcoming version (nearing completion and due in the next 1-2 months), there are more detailed settings.

You can see those settings on the Development demo under Admin › Preferences › Admin and then set Use enhanced mail features? to Yes. If you have absolutely no luck with the above setting, you can install this newer version already by switching to the “development branch” of the code on GitHub and downloading the Textpattern code. It is not final but does work reliably in my experience. You’ll probably find you need to update it again when Textpattern 4.9 is released.

TXP Builders – finely-crafted code, design and txp

#7 2022-12-20 10:26:19

Dragondz
Website GitHub Twitter

Hi

If you cant get email sending working quickly, you can use : rah_change_passwords plugin

You can manually change password and then send the user and password to the person you want.

Cheers.

#8 2022-12-20 11:20:30

phiw13
Plugin Author
Website

Is the email address you use to send from the email messages directly associated with the domain (something like me@my-domain.tld)? Using a different email address is regular reason for failures. And then, that email address need to be set up correctly (host control panel).

Where is that emoji for a solar powered submarine when you need it ?
Sand space – admin theme for Textpattern

#9 2022-12-21 06:23:28

lucidkarn
Website

Yes, I use the email that came with the domain. The problem is that when I create a new user, no verification email goes to the receiver. It doesn’t appear on sent mail in the domain’s email either.

#10 2022-12-21 16:18:01

amordecosmos
Plugin Author
Website

Check your domain with MX Toolbox: https://mxtoolbox.com (blacklist check)

It will tell you if your server is on some naughty lists (not by anything you did but other customers).

Last edited by amordecosmos (2022-12-21 18:06:42)

#11 2022-12-22 04:44:18

lucidkarn
Website

I think I might have known why it’s not working.

My hosting service listed that SMTP would be using port 465 instead of default 25, but that would be my roughest guess. I either have to talk with the service to change my port (which is not likely going to happen) or wait for 4.9 release to use custom post configuration (?)

Board footer