1. Index
  2. » General discussions
  3. » Evri

#1 2022-10-31 18:51:26

Bloke
Developer
Website GitHub

Evri

So when the Hermes delivery company rebranded earlier this year as Evri, I want to know who designed the new logo. No, I want to know who nodded their head, thought “that’s brilliant” and signed the abomination off!

www.evri.com/

Why is each letter in a different font? Why a mix of serif and sans? Why is the logo in the nav bar different to the one on the main page? It looks like amateur hour to me. Am I missing some implied or subtle elegance in the design somewhere?

Please help me understand ‘cos I’m drawing a blank.

The smd plugin menagerie — for when you need one more gribble of power from Textpattern. Bleeding-edge code available on GitHub.

Txp Builders – finely-crafted code, design and Txp

#2 2022-10-31 20:10:05

colak
Admin
Website GitHub Mastodon Twitter

Re: Evri

Bloke wrote #334056:

Why is each letter in a different font? Why a mix of serif and sans? Why is the logo in the nav bar different to the one on the main page? It looks like amateur hour to me. Am I missing some implied or subtle elegance in the design somewhere?

If I remember correctly, it was Neville Brody who first started mixing fonts in commercial graphic design back in the 80s. The technique was of course used in the form of cut-outs by Punk artists in the 70s, and Dada in the 10s, amongst others. Maybe they hope that it’ll come back.

Yiannis
——————————
NeMe | hblack.art | EMAP | A Sea change | Toolkit of Care
I do my best editing after I click on the submit button.

#3 2022-11-01 01:35:08

phiw13
Plugin Author
Website

colak wrote #334060:

If I remember correctly, it was Neville Brody who first started mixing fonts in commercial graphic design back in the 80s. The technique was of course used in the form of cut-outs by Punk artists in the 70s, and Dada in the 10s, amongst others. Maybe they hope that it’ll come back.

me sees Mr Brody and his predecessors back to the Dadaists coming out of their tombs in horror, with knifes sharpened at the sight of that (logo).

Bloke wrote #334056:

I’ve no idea how to even try to understand that.

PS – love that page title – image – as seen in the tab title… “new hermes | cheap […]”. Prolly says something about their identity.

Last edited by phiw13 (2022-11-01 01:36:55)

Where is that emoji for a solar powered submarine when you need it ?
Sand space – admin theme for Textpattern

#4 2022-11-01 05:17:24

colak
Admin
Website GitHub Mastodon Twitter

phiw13 wrote #334061:

me sees Mr Brody and his predecessors back to the Dadaists coming out of their tombs in horror, with knifes sharpened at the sight of that (logo).

Indeed the logo is terrible:)

Yiannis
——————————
NeMe | hblack.art | EMAP | A Sea change | Toolkit of Care
I do my best editing after I click on the submit button.

#5 2022-11-01 10:30:51

jakob
Admin
Website

Here’s the background on it. There is a little more method to the apparent madness: https://www.monotype.com/resources/case-studies/evri

Pity that Under Consideration is now behind a subscription. They usually had amusing critiques of rebrandings.

PS: I hadn’t even noticed the rebrand. It seems to still be called Hermes here in Germany (indeed it appears that it still is Hermes in Europe).

TXP Builders – finely-crafted code, design and txp

#6 2022-11-01 12:44:20

Bloke
Developer
Website GitHub

Blimey. They actually thought about it?! That’s a serious amount of work gone into it. Technically, coming up with an adaptive font face is a huge step change and super cool.

As for the logos themselves, I’m sure to people who live and breathe type it’s impressive, but to the layperson (me) it looks scrappy and like they haven’t quite figured out their brand identity, haha.

Last edited by Bloke (2022-11-01 23:27:58)

The smd plugin menagerie — for when you need one more gribble of power from Textpattern. Bleeding-edge code available on GitHub.

Txp Builders – finely-crafted code, design and Txp

#7 2022-11-01 12:59:34

phiw13
Plugin Author
Website

jakob wrote #334066:

Here’s the background on it. There is a little more method to the apparent madness: https://www.monotype.com/resources/case-studies/evri

Colour me unimpressed by this. A number of years ago, a life-style here did something playful where type changed in different shapes and colours but there was always a line that kept the overall type uniform. In that distribution/delivery company logo I see only chaos for the sake of chaos.

Where is that emoji for a solar powered submarine when you need it ?
Sand space – admin theme for Textpattern

#8 2022-11-02 01:47:01

bici
Website Mastodon

just turn away….

…. texted postive

#9 2022-11-02 16:17:41

zero
Website

Made me think when I first saw it. But having seen it several times now, I think that’s the point – it makes you think. And so becomes more memorable and intriguing every time you see it. And because it is quite unique and unusual, it will probably stay that way because any other brand who copies the idea will be compared negatively to Evri who did it first. And it’s a bit of fun, so I’ve grown to like it. But I wonder if that’s just because I’ve made websites and logos? It would be interesting to know what non-website-builders think.

BB6 Band My band
Gud One My blog

1. Index
  2. » General discussions
  3. » Evri

Board footer