Go to main content

Textpattern CMS support forum

You are not logged in. Register | Login | Help

#1 2022-09-30 05:43:44

phiw13
Plugin Author
Website

dev: a few puzzlements

TXP.dev running locally with Apache/PHP8.1.10 (homebrew edition) with no recent configuration changes.

1. diagnostics suddenly warns me that: “You are running a development version of Textpattern on a live server.” – it never did that, as far as I can remember. And, really, you honor, there is nothing live on that server! It runs on a computer that has spent most of the past few days in a state of deep sleep.
  2. diagnostics has been telling me for a few weeks now (scary error message): “Missing files: /vendors/phpmailer/phpmailer/language/phpmailer.lang-ch.php I guess the file has been removed but it is still included in checksums.txt, here.

A while ago I saw a message in the feed reader (Textpattern commits GH feed) that jquery had been updated to 3.6.1. 3.6.0 is still what is included in the source base, the package.json mentions v 3.6.1, though.

Mostly minor house keeping issue, all in all.

Where is that emoji for a solar powered submarine when you need it ?
Sand space – admin theme for Textpattern

#2 2022-10-05 09:13:42

gaekwad
Server grease monkey
GitHub

Re: dev: a few puzzlements

It looks like github.com/textpattern/textpattern/commit/0f75303f4abf0456601a8582fe9b313a11e282e6 is the culprit here, there were some changes in the files for the version of phpmailer we merged in.

I’m not sure of best practice here for dev repo here…we have a checksums script for making release checksums, but it’s not clear to me what we should do to fix dev so this goes away. In theory, if we switch the checksum reference from textpattern/vendors/phpmailer/phpmailer/language/phpmailer.lang-ch.php to textpattern/vendors/phpmailer/phpmailer/language/phpmailer.lang-mn.php and tweak the hash, that should be enough.

I’ll open an issue and get it queued, should be an easy fix for someone who knows, or I’ll get to it when I’ve got time to learn. Thank you for the report, phiw13.

#3 2022-10-05 09:23:18

gaekwad
Server grease monkey
GitHub

OK, I’ve opened and issue and had a first pass attempt at this. There are a few other file changes outside the scope of the report, too.

phiw13: please update your local copy in due course and report in. Thank you.

#4 2022-10-05 19:46:08

Bloke
Developer
Website GitHub

I haven’t checked this specifically, but we usually just run one of the toolbelt scripts periodically to recalculate the hashes and it adds any new files/removes old ones that no longer exist automatically. Same thing we do in step N during release to prepare the checksums.

The smd plugin menagerie — for when you need one more gribble of power from Textpattern. Bleeding-edge code available on GitHub.

Txp Builders – finely-crafted code, design and Txp

#5 2022-10-05 19:53:14

gaekwad
Server grease monkey
GitHub

Thanks, Bloke. That’s exactly what I did.

#6 2022-10-06 07:41:28

phiw13
Plugin Author
Website

• Sure, my memo kinda implied the need to update the checksum file – unless the mentioned file was deleted by accident in an update process… Thanbks for uypdating it.
  • fwiw, the “live site” warning happened because the production status on that test site was set to Live for some odd reason (it was my cat !).

–^–

Still puzzled by that jquery difference.

PS – thought: should diagnostics really read the checksum file on dev ?

#7 2022-10-06 08:45:12

Bloke
Developer
Website GitHub

phiw13 wrote #333952:

thought: should diagnostics really read the checksum file on dev ?

From memory, it doesn’t, unless the site status is Live. Running a live site as dev is usually fine, and Diagnostics does (should) issue a separate warning if that’s the case too.

We could completely bypass the checksums on any dev instance. Not sure if that’s more or less useful than letting it check only on Live status. Opinions welcome.

The smd plugin menagerie — for when you need one more gribble of power from Textpattern. Bleeding-edge code available on GitHub.

#8 2022-10-06 08:52:55

phiw13
Plugin Author
Website

Bloke wrote #333953:

From memory, it doesn’t, unless the site status is Live. Running a live site as dev is usually fine, and Diagnostics does (should) issue a separate warning if that’s the case too.

We could completely bypass the checksums on any dev instance. Not sure if that’s more or less useful than letting it check only on Live status. Opinions welcome.

Well, it still runs in debugging mode as it flags the Missing file issue (instance not TXP-dev not updated yet).

I don’t know either how much more/less useful it would be. If any file in e.g /Textpattern/lib/ is updated by you, does its checksum-listed MD5 still match the file when I updated my local instance ?

#9 2022-10-06 10:01:36

Bloke
Developer
Website GitHub

phiw13 wrote #333954:

Well, it still runs in debugging mode as it flags the Missing file issue

Hmm, maybe I’m wrong then. Although I think the missing file warnings are separate from the checksum tests. Might have to check.

If any file in e.g /Textpattern/lib/ is updated by you, does its checksum-listed MD5 still match the file when I updated my local instance ?

Only if the checksums file contents is recalculated as part of the commit process. Otherwise, the tiniest change to a file will be flagged – as it should, because that’s the point of the checksum file: to detect changes (good or bad) in a deployed Txp instance.

#10 2022-10-06 12:09:53

phiw13
Plugin Author
Website

In other words: checksums.txt is checked on dev independently of production status, it does not flag MD5 mismatches—that is OK given the TXP commit process. But it does detect “missing” files.

That “missing” status can be real (a file has accidentally been removed locally) or bogus (a file has been removed during a commit but checksums.txt does not yet know that).

#11 2022-10-06 12:13:07

Bloke
Developer
Website GitHub

phiw13 wrote #333956:

it does not flag MD5 mismatches… But it does detect “missing” files. That “missing” status can be real (a file has accidentally been removed locally) or bogus (a file has been removed during a commit but checksums.txt does not yet know that).

That sounds right, yeah.

Board footer