Go to main content

Textpattern CMS support forum

You are not logged in. Register | Login | Help

#1 2022-08-19 08:20:01

dos

Back to this charming little CMS

Hey community,

first of, a big thank you to everyone, who keeps TXP going.

I’ve been a TXP user (on and off) for at least 10 years. Always appreciated this simple and reliable piece of software (and internet history!). But for the last years, I’ve been using blot.im for my personal website. Check it out, highly recommended, great founder/developer.

But now I felt like giving TXP another go. I’m not a frontend developer and understanding the logics behind TXP sometimes make my head explode, but after a couple of hours, I got the hang of it (again). So after a day of bending the (great) default template, I got this: ᛖECHANICAL BRIDE. Let me know, if you find anything stupid.

Last edited by dos (2023-08-10 14:08:11)

“HaHa. Your medium is dying.” –Nelson Muntz, Springfield.

#2 2022-08-19 17:24:32

uli

Re: Back to this charming little CMS

Nothing stupid, but you might still want to fill some gaps appearing on smaller devices such as phones that are torn by long-ish German terms and the lack of hyphenation on those.

div[itemprop="articleBody"] {hyphens: auto;}

In bad weather I never leave home without wet_plugout, smd_where_used and adi_form_links

#3 2022-08-19 18:47:01

dos

Thanks for the tip, uli. Can you give me a hand here, where to drop the line (in the CSS, I assume?)

#4 2022-08-20 05:52:42

phiw13
Plugin Author
Website

dos wrote #333813:

Thanks for the tip, uli. Can you give me a hand here, where to drop the line (in the CSS, I assume?)

Yes. But make sure that all you templates have a lang="de" set on the root element (your frontpage at least has it correctly). That way the browser knows which hyphenation dictionary to use.

Nice clean&simple site, btw.

Where is that emoji for a solar powered submarine when you need it ?
Sand space – admin theme for Textpattern

#5 2022-08-21 23:05:51

bici
Website Mastodon

dos wrote #333810:

Hey community,

first of, a big thank you to everyone, who keeps TXP going.

So after a day of bending the (great) default template, I got this: ጠechanical bride. Let me know, if you find anything stupid.

what lovely minimal website! And i like the special “M” you added to personalize the title.

PS is the special ጠ font > “ጠ” ETHIOPIC SYLLABLE THA | U+1320 Unicode ?

PPS. lovely little search button you have there. i liek how it “opens’ when clicked. is this done with simple css?

Last edited by bici (2022-08-21 23:17:20)

…. texted postive

#6 2022-08-23 09:20:18

dos

phiw13 wrote #333815:

Yes. But make sure that all you templates have a lang="de" set on the root element (your frontpage at least has it correctly). That way the browser knows which hyphenation dictionary to use.

Nice clean&simple site, btw.

Thanks! lang=de seems to be implemented by TXP automatically on every site. Haven’t found the right way to implement the hyphens-option yet. More dummy-proved help is welcomed :)

what lovely minimal website! And i like the special “M” you added to personalize the title.

PS is the special ጠ font > “ጠ” ETHIOPIC SYLLABLE THA | U+1320 Unicode ?

PPS. lovely little search button you have there. i liek how it “opens’ when clicked. is this done with simple css?

Thank you! Yes, that’s the special character. I quite like it, because I can paste the name wherever, and it still looks unique. The search button is pretty much what you get with the default template. I just tweaked the colors.

#7 2022-08-23 09:50:32

phiw13
Plugin Author
Website

dos wrote #333842:

Thanks! lang=de seems to be implemented by TXP automatically on every site. Haven’t found the right way to implement the hyphens-option yet. More dummy-proved help is welcomed :)

Oh, yes, right, you are using the default templates as a base, it does insert the lang attribute.

Search your main stylesheet for * Styling for articles. (around line 131), then insert the following just before .article {:

div[itemprop="articleBody"],
div[item="description"] {
-webkit-hyphens: auto;
hyphens: auto;
}

This will apply to individual article pages and list pages; the -webkit-hyphens is for iPhone Safari users.

While you are there you may want to remove the word-wrap: break-word; line as the hyphens setting above will do a better/nicer job.

Where is that emoji for a solar powered submarine when you need it ?
Sand space – admin theme for Textpattern

#8 2022-08-23 10:02:01

dos

That was helpful. Thank you. Looking good (I think)!

#9 2023-08-08 16:53:28

dos

I’ve made some updates and customized the Minimum Theme to my liking. It’s a very classic blog feeling now. Just a stream of articles with search, categories and a feed.

No comment function, though I would love to have an integration with the fediverse… Micro.blog is doing a great job, maybe TXP can take some inspiration from there. It seems to me like the future of personal blogging.

Last edited by dos (2023-08-08 16:54:51)

#10 2023-08-10 13:10:16

towndock
Website

Simple, elegant. I like your site a lot.

Board footer