Go to main content

Textpattern CMS support forum

You are not logged in. Register | Login | Help

#13 2022-08-18 13:00:06

demoncleaner
Plugin Author
Website

Re: Avoid single article URLs like /section/title

Yes, it’s the default status, but you can change it: <txp:txp_die status=“404” />

Thanks! I was playing around with <txp:header/> all the time instead of looking into <txp:txp_die />.

Why wouldn’t you just exclude these sections from syndication?

I know that it is not a good practice to have things in the sitemap and then noindex them. I thought having a URL in the feed but then sending 404 or 410 would be equally bad.

On huge pages it would probably impact the crawling budget, not sure?

Last edited by demoncleaner (2022-08-18 13:01:53)

#14 2022-08-18 13:42:41

etc
Developer
Website GitHub

Sorry, I’m a bit confused. You say you don’t want non-blog articles to appear in sitemap, but still need them in RSS? With which URL then, only /section/ (requires a plugin) or /section/title with a redirection on access?

I have no valuable opinion on the best SEO practice, can only help you to implement what you choose.

#15 2022-08-18 14:27:13

demoncleaner
Plugin Author
Website

No the opposite is the case.
Your solution solves the problem that /section/title URLs are not accessable where I do not want them to be accessable. But they will be listet in the feed, right?
That is how in my case Google found those URLs /section/title in first place. Because I thought it would be enough to ban them from the sitemap and not linking to them anywhere. But I had this rss feed link in place. Which made google find them.

So what I am saying is… it is better to not “show” google something that will lead into a dead end in first place.

Choosing the blog section for the feed seems to do the trick though.

<txp:feed_link flavor="atom" section="blog" format="link" label="Atom" /> <txp:feed_link flavor="rss" section="blog" format="link" label="RSS" />

Last edited by demoncleaner (2022-08-18 14:28:41)

#16 2022-08-18 20:30:05

jakob
Admin
Website

etc wrote #333804:

Why wouldn’t you just exclude these sections from syndication?

Damn, I always forget that and it’s such a simple way of restricting the feed to only certain sections. Thanks for the reminder.

TXP Builders – finely-crafted code, design and txp

#17 2022-08-18 22:32:19

demoncleaner
Plugin Author
Website

Damn, too! Now I realized what etc ment by that. Yep makes more sense than tweaking the feed_link. Thank you.

Board footer