Go to main content

Textpattern CMS support forum

You are not logged in. Register | Login | Help

#1 2022-07-07 09:50:04

NorfolkGreg

Textpattern Site Link Broken

New here, having just completed an install (via Softaculous) and run through the Basic Tutorial.

In the course of that I discovered that the “Themes” item on the main menu takes you to:
https://textpattern.com/themes which appears to be a page from the Documentation section rather than a page similar to https://plugins.textpattern.com/ which is what I would have expected.

It turns out there is a https://themes.textpattern.com which, surely, should be linked from the main menu throughout the site?

However, elsewhere there are links to https://github.com/textpattern/textpattern-themes-website and the suggestion that this is the Themes site under construction.

I confess it being a bit surprised by all this ambivalence. For software that’s proudly claims to be as old as WordPress and appears to be well supported and under continuing development I was expecting to see a host of ready made themes available.

Is there an explanation for all this that I am missing?

Last edited by NorfolkGreg (2022-07-07 11:11:43)

#2 2022-07-08 13:27:57

hcgtv
Plugin Author
Website

Re: Textpattern Site Link Broken

Hi,

This site TXP Themes, has mobile friendly themes based on Bootstrap.

As always, this a volunteer effort, and as such, more will be added when time permits.

I’m retired now and spend most of my time enjoying the sun and fun in Key Largo, Florida.

Textpattern, for me, is still the best software for lightning fast dynamic sites.

Wordpress sucks balls – TXP WTF :)

#3 2022-07-08 21:12:50

NorfolkGreg

hcgtv wrote #333684:

This site TXP Themes, has mobile friendly themes based on Bootstrap.

Thanks! I’ll take a look! However, I’m likely to attempt to hack the TXP’s default theme rather upload another.

After reading a little more I think I understand the reasons for the “broken” links I reported. My comment simply reflected my lack of understanding of why a long developed package had a lack of themes on the package’s own web site. After reading a little more I think I understand and see that there are themes out there – but not at textpattern.com.

I’m a self taught amateur and only really have a handle on HTML and CSS (JavaScript is utterly foreign to me, and the only PHP I understand is <?php include(“xxxx.php”); ?>). My first ever site documented tricks and tip for the Windows 3.11fWG “Recorder” app. I retired from full time work in 1998 so am no spring chicken and sail and canoe when I can in the UK’s Broads National Park.

Textpattern, for me, is still the best software for lightning fast dynamic sites.
Wordpress sucks balls – TXP WTF :)

What attracted me to TXP was it’s 6.88Mb download size. WordPress is just bloat. Basically, all my sites, bar one, have been personal hobby sites. The only other site building package I’ve ever used is WonderCMS, a 0.14Mb download! OK, it’s no TXP, but perfect for the guy for whom I was creating the site and it took me no time to learn. I just ignored anything to do with Bootstrap that I didn’t understand and got in my way.

I’m looking at TXP as I am conscious of my mortality and the site I hope to migrate to TXP is needs to outlast my volunteer efforts. It’s important that others can, at least, keep the site updated until they find an alternative webmaster.

I’m now trying to get my head around the documentation on duplicating the default theme and switch to my new version. As what I’m doing at the moment is simply learning the package, I assume I can associate everything (the default article and comment) to my new theme and make it live. It’s been installed via Softaculous so I plan to delete it and start again under a different domain once I feel I know enough to start editing the default installation and populating it with the content of my existing content.

#4 2022-07-12 14:47:49

gaekwad
Server grease monkey
GitHub

NorfolkGreg wrote #333679:

I confess it being a bit surprised by all this ambivalence. For software that’s proudly claims to be as old as WordPress and appears to be well supported and under continuing development I was expecting to see a host of ready made themes available.

Is there an explanation for all this that I am missing?

Respectfully, I wouldn’t necessarily say ambivalence is the right term.

There aren’t many themes because there aren’t many (relatively speaking) Textpattern sites, so the perceived need & reward isn’t there. The concerted effort to break that cycle hasn’t yet materialised because we’re a few (relatively speaking) loyal-ish people who do end user support, code development & optimisation, documentation, server admin, site optimisation, and so forth.

I know that a number of the heavy-hitter / frequent flyers here also have day jobs, families, studying etc to juggle, which makes sweeping progress (if that’s the word). Summer in the northern hemisphere tends to be a little quieter in Textpattern land, and things pick up again from autumn / fall onwards, as a guideline.

#5 2022-07-13 14:50:56

NorfolkGreg

gaekwad wrote #333697:

Respectfully, I wouldn’t necessarily say ambivalence is the right term.

Accepted! “Ambivalence” isn’t and wasn’t the right term! I’ve now read more of the history of TXP and better understand the reason for my perception of lack of templates.

I remain enthusiastic about TXP and am beginning to work on the project I had in mind. I hope I am not naively confident that, with my understanding limited to HTML and CSS, I’ll be able to see it through, and possibly be able to offer the template I come up with to the community.

#6 2022-07-15 10:25:46

gaekwad
Server grease monkey
GitHub

NorfolkGreg wrote #333707:

I hope I am not naively confident that, with my understanding limited to HTML and CSS, I’ll be able to see it through, and possibly be able to offer the template I come up with to the community.

We’re cheering you on!

Board footer