Go to main content

Textpattern CMS support forum

You are not logged in. Register | Login | Help

#1 2022-06-29 16:16:04

arjayarana

My new personal blog is TXP!

Hey guys. I just want to say that I’m loving Textpattern. I’m glad that I took the chance to try it out. I’m not a web developer; I only know some HTML & CSS, and how to use and install CMSes, and so I still have a lot to learn as a webmaster. But using Textpattern falls well within my present skill level, that is, except for that part about creating my own theme :)

But the default theme works fine with me (for now), and some tweaks make it perfect for my purposes. And so here now is my personal blog at www.arjayarana.xyz

The overaching criteria I’ve been looking for in a CMS are reliability and stability — a CMS that will support my works for decades to come — and I think (I hope!) that Textpattern has these qualities. I’ve tried out WordPress, and that is one big mess!

I’m not sure yet if I’ll use TXP with some of the other projects I have in mind. You see, I’m also a user of Hugo static site generator, and I’m presently thinking about learning Drupal, to see if I’ll be able to use it. But for sure, my new personal blog is TXP :)

#2 2022-06-29 17:00:58

Bloke
Developer
Website GitHub

Re: My new personal blog is TXP!

Hi. Really glad you found us and the Textpattern philosophy works for you. We take reliability and stability very seriously, so you’re definitely in the right place on those concerns.

Whatever type of project you’d like to work on, Textpattern will most likely be a good fit. There are only a few types of site where I’d recommend looking elsewhere. So as and when your projects crop up, drop a note here on the forum with the details and we’ll endeavour to guide you in the process of getting it up and running.

Happy Textpatterning!

The smd plugin menagerie — for when you need one more gribble of power from Textpattern. Bleeding-edge code available on GitHub.

Txp Builders – finely-crafted code, design and Txp

#3 2022-06-30 11:04:59

arjayarana

Bloke wrote #333652:

We take reliability and stability very seriously, so you’re definitely in the right place on those concerns.

Whatever type of project you’d like to work on, Textpattern will most likely be a good fit. There are only a few types of site where I’d recommend looking elsewhere.

Hi. Thanks for the welcome.

I really am considering Textpattern for at least two websites that I’m planning in the near future. TXP will be a perfect fit for them, since they are only publishing websites. The only real obstacle I’m seeing to using TXP is to properly learn HTML and CSS (and perhaps some JavaScript) so that I can make my own themes. That is doable.

I do have one concern, however. I looked at the database created by my TXP blog, and I saw that Textpattern still uses the older MyISAM instead of InnoDB as its database engine. Will this be a problem later on? My web host supports MyISAM, but recommends InnoDB.

#4 2022-06-30 15:59:15

Bloke
Developer
Website GitHub

I use InnoDB for all my databases without issue. Have done for quite some time now. Maybe your host defaults to MyISAM for some reason?

The smd plugin menagerie — for when you need one more gribble of power from Textpattern. Bleeding-edge code available on GitHub.

#5 2022-06-30 16:19:15

arjayarana

Bloke wrote #333659:

I use InnoDB for all my databases without issue. Have done for quite some time now. Maybe your host defaults to MyISAM for some reason?

I don’t know. But from what I read in their docs, the default is InnoDB too. I will ask in their forum. When I installed other CMSes like WordPress, they were all InnoDB.

Glad I asked. I wouldn’t have known otherwise. If I have to, can I convert my database to InnoDB, or do I have to reinstall?

#6 2022-06-30 16:31:17

Bloke
Developer
Website GitHub

arjayarana wrote #333660:

from what I read in their docs, the default is InnoDB too.

Hmmm. I know we do mention MyISAM in the code – primarily I think for natural search capabilities in the textpattern table because InnoDB didn’t support it at one time in the dim and distant past (or it could have been some other thing that wasnt supported. I forget now)

To be honest I’m not sure how I got mine to use InnoDB. Might be because I’m using Percona and not MySQL.

can I convert my database to InnoDB, or do I have to reinstall?

After performing and verifying a backup, I would expect you could just issue ALTER TABLE table_name ENGINE=InnoDB;

Untested.

#7 2022-07-01 00:21:36

arjayarana

I haven’t got a reply yet from my web host, but a google search revealed that I can convert each individual MyISAM table to InnoDB using phpMyAdmin. So I went ahead and converted all the tables, and there seems to be no problem.

#8 2022-07-01 09:14:51

etc
Developer
Website GitHub

Even if it’s late now, you should add (or uncomment) this line to config.php:

$txpcfg['dbengine'] = 'InnoDB';

This will ensure that any table created later via txp safe_create() function will use InnoDB engine.

#9 2022-07-01 20:52:29

arjayarana

etc wrote #333663:

Even if it’s late now, you should add (or uncomment) this line to config.php:

$txpcfg['dbengine'] = 'InnoDB';...

This will ensure that any table created later via txp safe_create() function will use InnoDB engine.

Done. Perhaps I should have taken a look in config-dist.php while installing :)

#10 2022-07-02 17:07:27

gaekwad
Server grease monkey
GitHub

arjayarana wrote #333651:

I’m presently thinking about learning Drupal

Good luck, sir.

Board footer