Go to main content

Textpattern CMS support forum

You are not logged in. Register | Login | Help

#1 2022-06-09 16:15:18

sambooth74
Website

Bug in category_list when using parent, children and break attributes?

On my home page, I want to show the latest 5 articles from 3 “featured categories”.

It is important to include articles from subcategories as well, because in my site structure, I only assign articles to subcategories. The top-level categories have zero articles.

- Fruits     (0 articles)
-- Apples    (5 articles)
-- Bananas   (6 articles)
- Vegetables (0 articles)
-- Carrots   (7 articles)
-- Onions    (8 articles)
- Birds      (0 articles)
-- Magpies   (3 articles)
-- Finches   (5 articles)

My strategy is:
1. Use category_list and the category attribute to produce a list of my 3 categories
2. Build a comma-separated list of child categories using category_list
3. Use article_custom to display the list of articles

This is fiddly due to the nested tags, but I think it should be possible.

On my page I have:

<txp:category_list categories="fruits,vegetables,birds" form="mycustomform" />

The contents of mycustomform are:

<txp:article_custom category='<txp:category_list parent=''<txp:category />'' children="3" break="," />' wraptag="ul" break="li" limit="5" frontpage="1" />

This didn’t work, so I tried the inner tag by itself, for one of the categories, to see how it was being parsed:

<txp:category_list parent='<txp:category />' children="3" break=","><txp:category /></txp:category_list>

I had expected this to return fruits,apples,bananas but it actually returned fruitsapples,bananas

Notice the comma is missing between the parent item and the first child. I think this is a bug.

Can anybody reproduce this issue please? Is there an easier way to achieve my goal? Have I found a bug?

Many thanks

Last edited by sambooth74 (2022-06-09 16:16:47)

#2 2022-06-09 16:32:57

sambooth74
Website

Re: Bug in category_list when using parent, children and break attributes?

After spending an hour on this, and then writing up the issue, I think I solved my own problem 5 minutes later. You aren’t supposed to use the parent and children attributes of category_list at the same time….. When I removed the children attribute, my issue was resolved.

I still feel like my solution is quite complex, so if anyone has a better idea, please let me know!

Many thanks

Last edited by sambooth74 (2022-06-09 16:33:16)

#3 2022-06-09 17:11:50

jakob
Admin
Website

If I’ve understood your structure properly, you should be able to simplify it to this:

<txp:variable name="featured_cats" trim>
   <txp:category_list parent="fruits,vegetables,birds" exclude="fruits,vegetables,birds" break=","><txp:category /></txp:category_list>
</txp:variable>

<txp:article_custom category='<txp:variable name="featured_cats" />' limit="5" sort="Posted desc" wraptag="ul" break="li">
    <txp:permlink><txp:title /></txp:permlink><txp:category1 wraptag=" (<+>)" />
</txp:article_custom>

The first part outputs a comma-separated list of all the parents and children of the specified parent categories excluding the parents and saves that in a variable.

The second part then lists the 5 most recent articles that appear in any of the previously determined sub-categories.

TXP Builders – finely-crafted code, design and txp

#4 2022-06-09 18:58:28

jakob
Admin
Website

Hmm, on second thoughts maybe you did mean the 5 most recent articles from each of your 3 parent categories, i.e. 3 × 5 articles.

Then it would be almost like you have it excerpt that you can use the exclude attribute here too:

<txp:category_list categories="fruits,vegetables,birds" break="">
    <!-- category heading -->
    <txp:category title wraptag="h3" />
    <!-- five most recent articles in the respective sub-categories -->
    <txp:article_custom category='<txp:category_list parent=''<txp:category />'' exclude=''<txp:category />'' break=","><txp:category /></txp:category_list>' limit="5" sort="Posted desc" wraptag="ul" break="li">
        <txp:permlink><txp:title /></txp:permlink>
    </txp:article_custom>
</txp:category_list>

#5 2022-06-09 19:05:44

jakob
Admin
Website

One further note: with both of the above you will in fact get the same output without the exclude attribute because as you write …

The top-level categories have zero articles.

… which means: without exclude attribute, the article_custom tag will also look for articles in the parent categories but as there aren’t any articles assigned to them, it will only return articles from the child categories.

#6 2022-06-09 21:26:28

sambooth74
Website

It’s good to hear from a knowledgeable person that my solution is sensible, many thanks!

#7 2022-06-10 09:41:50

etc
Developer
Website GitHub

sambooth74 wrote #333566:

Have I found a bug?

Not this time. Using children="3" with non-hierarchical wraptag/break (like ul/li) simply has no much sense.

Board footer