Go to main content

Textpattern CMS support forum

You are not logged in. Register | Login | Help

#13 2022-05-19 11:56:06

Destry
Website

Re: [resolved] Laptop woes

I don’t expect this machine will last another 11 years (that was the original battery); might even have more problems soon. I just need it at least long enough to get set up on something else and run tandem for a while.

Does 45€ sound about the right price for a goodish battery?

#14 2022-05-19 11:59:47

jakob
Admin
Website

sounds okay. In an old email I found our replacement battery cost ~60€ in 2020.

TXP Builders – finely-crafted code, design and txp

#15 2022-05-19 12:02:46

Bloke
Developer
Website GitHub

That’s my ballpark for what I’d pay for one, up to about €50 or €60 as Jools says. About half what apple charge, iirc. Some even come with screwdrivers! Some of the brand names are entertaining in and of themselves.

The smd plugin menagerie — for when you need one more gribble of power from Textpattern. Bleeding-edge code available on GitHub.

Txp Builders – finely-crafted code, design and Txp

#16 2022-05-19 12:18:28

gaekwad
Server grease monkey
GitHub

To be pedantic (sorry), A1278 is the laptop model designation – the unibody MacBook Pro, basically:

everymac.com/ultimate-mac-lookup/?search_keywords=a1278

It may be worth checking your local network of people to see if anyone has a scrapper laptop from that era, you can often eke a few more years from them without any extra € outlay (and save it from landfill / recycling, too).

See also: www.coconut-flavour.com/coconutbattery/

#17 2022-05-19 12:49:53

colak
Admin
Website GitHub Mastodon Twitter

I have a Titanium mbp from the early naughties. It has a swappable battery which I have changed once. After the second battery died I just took it off and work on it using the power supply. Admittedly the only reason I keep it is because I changed architecture programmes and want to be able to open/export older documents created by the programme I used then.

Having said that, this is how laptops should work! Companies should never hold us hostage to either upgrading the hardware or pay sums for perishables that in some countries come close to a month’s rent.

Yiannis
——————————
NeMe | hblack.art | EMAP | A Sea change | Toolkit of Care
I do my best editing after I click on the submit button.

#18 2022-05-19 19:33:21

Destry
Website

I went with a battery made as close to me as I could find. That turned out to be NinjaBatt in the UK. It arrives Saturday.

I hope the screwdriver works.

It’s a lithium-polymer battery. I wasn’t sure if I should look for a lith-ion, but I went with the tech that discharges less when battery is not active. For my short term needs here, it probably doesn’t matter.

Thanks everyone for the great feedback. You are all priceless.

I’m glad I had this opportunity to open the lid. First time I had. I suspect I might nee to more now for other reasons. Got to bring my toolkit up to snuff.

colak wrote #333400:

I have a Titanium mbp from the early naughties. It has a swappable battery which I have changed once. After the second battery died I just took it off and work on it using the power supply.

I had one like that, previously. My first Apple experience. It was good.

this is how laptops should work! Companies should never hold us hostage to either upgrading the hardware or pay sums for perishables that in some countries come close to a month’s rent.

Totally agree.

I guess Apple is going to make its hardware easier to work on. EU laws are pushing for this too, for all types of electronics and appliances. It’s good.

Last edited by Destry (2022-05-19 19:57:21)

#19 2022-05-19 20:08:04

Bloke
Developer
Website GitHub

Ugh. Planned obsolescence. I remember when they passed that law here that forbade manufacturers to sell appliances without a moulded one-piece mains plug. It was under the guise of ‘safety’. Because wiring a plug can only be done by someone who has paid for their annual Part-P electrician’s course to update them on the latest standards and regs.

My phone battery is glued and screwed into the case and the back is glued on. To change the battery requires a craft knife to slice the glue round the edges, at least 8 spudger type tools to wedge into it to prise the back off without snapping it, a heat gun to warm the glue but not too much to damage the components, and a spatula type device to ease up the battery from the inside after you’ve warmed that glue up too.

If that’s not a ploy to make you buy a new phone when the charge cycles start to diminish, I dunno what is.

We shouldn’t need a law for manufacturers to do the right thing to make products last as long as practically possible. Sad that it’s come to that.

The smd plugin menagerie — for when you need one more gribble of power from Textpattern. Bleeding-edge code available on GitHub.

Txp Builders – finely-crafted code, design and Txp

#20 2022-05-19 22:58:27

bici
Website Mastodon

my previous MBP had the battery on the back and it was cinch to replace. that MBP eventually packed it in due to screen issues. Now the price for thinness is you cannot fix anything without using a pro.

…. texted postive

#21 2022-05-20 10:22:53

gaekwad
Server grease monkey
GitHub

Destry wrote #333401:

I’m glad I had this opportunity to open the lid. First time I had. I suspect I might nee to more now for other reasons. Got to bring my toolkit up to snuff.

Blow all the dust / lint out, make sure the fan vents are clear. The thermal compound on a decade-old laptop will be limping along, so if you have a tame techie nearby – or fancy a proper project – you could strip and replace it yourself.

Consider smcfancontrol if you have fans that feel (or sound) like they’re working hard.

The best thing you can do with a laptop of that age is swap out spinning hard drives with solid state and max out the RAM.

#22 2022-05-21 18:02:46

Destry
Website

Beaming this from the mothership. :)

NinjaBatt instructions say it’s a Lithium-ion battery, not a Lith-polymer like it was advertised. I don’t really care at this point, but odd.

The screwdrivers do not have magnetic heads, but I got the tri-point I needed.

gaekwad wrote #333408:

Blow all the dust / lint out, make sure the fan vents are clear.

I got as much as I could get. The fan blades were covered with white mud, but I couldn’t get it off and didn’t want to risk breaking it at this moment. The fan has yet another screw head type I did not have a screwdriver for. So, I definitely need a better tool kit situation.

I never really know how much you’re supposed to touch the circuits and whatnot. Saw a video today about cleaning the fans and the guy was brushing down both sides of the logic board with a toothbrush. Is that acceptably safe?

The thermal compound on a decade-old laptop will be limping along, so if you have a tame techie nearby – or fancy a proper project – you could strip and replace it yourself.

Not this time. But I am going to get the ssd and see about a ram upgrade. That would be a good first step. Oh and a new fan unit, probably.

Consider smcfancontrol if you have fans that feel (or sound) like they’re working hard.

Noted.

I want to pick up a SATA to thumb drive unit. Thinking ahead, to account for both the MBP and a Lenovo machine too, probably, I was looking at something that covers many bases.

Does something like this Unitek, Y-3322 make sense?

I guess I need to see what size disk sits inside a Lenovo E series 14”.

#23 2022-05-21 20:26:17

gaekwad
Server grease monkey
GitHub

Destry wrote #333418:

I never really know how much you’re supposed to touch the circuits and whatnot. Saw a video today about cleaning the fans and the guy was brushing down both sides of the logic board with a toothbrush. Is that acceptably safe?

That wouldn’t be something I’d do, but I can see the logic in it – clean brush with no moisture should be OK as long as it’s not too stiff.

I want to pick up a SATA to thumb drive unit. Thinking ahead, to account for both the MBP and a Lenovo machine too, probably, I was looking at something that covers many bases.

[…]

I guess I need to see what size disk sits inside a Lenovo E series 14”.

You’ll likely have a 2.5” SATA disk in the Lenovo. You can get away with a bus-powered USB->SATA enclosure if you’re going straight into a base USB port or powered USB hub – they’re much cheaper and simpler. Viz.:

www.ebay.co.uk/itm/304043082956

Most 2.5” hard drives will tootle along with 5V @ 500mA (standard USB output), there are some real chonkers that struggle, but they’re rare.

Last edited by gaekwad (2022-05-21 20:27:11)

Board footer