Go to main content

Textpattern CMS support forum

You are not logged in. Register | Login | Help

#1 2022-05-18 00:11:27

Melonking
Website

New Personal Blog

Its a little haphazard still, I’m not fully happy with the menu bar but I like the overall direction!

I wanted to try and make it feel like an old static site (to fit my main site). I deliberately removed dates from the article lists because I find when you date an article it becomes stressful because it feels out of date as soon as the date is old.. So I wanted this blog to feel more timeless (except on the diary which is time centric). I’m still a bit worried about how older articles will be visible later on when there are lots of articles, I need to improve the category navigation perhaps; or maybe add a recommended articles page.

Overall I’m really happy with Textpattern, I still have a lot of issues related to using MarsEdit, but when it works its a joy to use, and the way pages are setup and split into pages and forms is really nice to work with. I’m really glad I didn’t give up and go with WordPress!

thoughts.melonking.net

Last edited by Melonking (2022-05-18 00:16:37)

The world will tremble

#2 2022-05-18 08:14:19

etc
Developer
Website GitHub

Re: New Personal Blog

Loverly! And thank you for your (first but hopefully not last) txp contribution.

#3 2022-05-18 11:41:45

phiw13
Plugin Author
Website

Interesting presentation. very old style. How’s working with MarsEdit and Textpattern?

Bizarrely, yours was the second site I visited today that had a more old style coating…
The other one, this (now defunct) Japanese alt. music label: qbicorecord.altervista.org/QBICO_RECORDS.htm – complete with animated neon lights.

Where is that emoji for a solar powered submarine when you need it ?
Sand space – admin theme for Textpattern

#4 2022-05-18 13:04:34

Melonking
Website

Oh that’s a great one, I like the orange background, Id like to see more orange websites.

There are a few good old sites out there that are still updated:
Dibella Loves Cats
Richard Bartle’s Site (Inventor of MUDs)
Along with quite an active community of new people doing these sites
Also Cybergrunge might appeal if you’re into music

MarsEdit is great! It makes writing and publishing so easy, you can write offline and save locally; that’s a stress saver because I’m always afraid web forms will fail and Ill lose my work. Iv also never been a fan of Markup or Textile in this case; its fine for short work, but I just like having a WYSIWUG editor for bigger things.

There are still a few quirks with image upload, and there are a lot of settings you need to fiddle with to get it working well. When I have a few more things sorted Im going to post a full guide to using MarsEdit with Textpattern on the forum (Somewhere? There is not tutorial board?)

Last edited by Melonking (2022-05-18 13:17:54)

The world will tremble

#5 2022-05-18 13:50:01

colak
Admin
Website GitHub Mastodon Twitter

There are still a few quirks with image upload, and there are a lot of settings you need to fiddle with to get it working well. When I have a few more things sorted Im going to post a full guide to using MarsEdit with Textpattern on the forum (Somewhere? There is not tutorial board?)

There is the txp.tips site.

Yiannis
——————————
NeMe | hblack.art | EMAP | A Sea change | Toolkit of Care
I do my best editing after I click on the submit button.

#6 2023-03-17 13:28:33

gu

I was a fan of your blog melonking (having found it a while back on HN or lobstrs) and finding out that you made it with Textpattern was extra nifty! Your blog is also testimony to how Textpattern leaves so much space for creativity :)

<!— space for hope —>

#7 2024-02-16 17:02:28

dos

Is this going to land in the next Textpattern version? (Thanks Melonking for your digging and lovely site!)

Last edited by dos (2024-02-16 17:02:51)

“HaHa. Your medium is dying.” –Nelson Muntz, Springfield.

Board footer