Go to main content

Textpattern CMS support forum

You are not logged in. Register | Login | Help

#1 2022-04-12 09:51:37

gilibaus
Website

Database issue

I use Txp 4.5.7 on a shared hosting (PHP 5.6.40 and MySQL 5.7.30). (I know I know I should have updated Txp a long time ago…). I published last article a couple of days ago with no issue at all. I have been publishing a weekly post for the last 8 years with no issue. Never. Yesterday something changed. I cannot save any new / edited article. The website is slower. The diagnostics tell me that I have 9 corrupted tables in the database:

textpattern: error: Table upgrade required. Please do "REPAIR TABLE...
txp_discuss_ipban: error: Table upgrade required. Please do "REPAIR TABLE...
txp_discuss_nonce: error: Table upgrade required. Please do "REPAIR TABLE...
txp_file: error: Table upgrade required. Please do "REPAIR TABLE...
txp_image: error: Table upgrade required. Please do "REPAIR TABLE...
txp_lang: error: Table upgrade required. Please do "REPAIR TABLE...
txp_link: error: Table upgrade required. Please do "REPAIR TABLE...
txp_log: error: Table upgrade required. Please do "REPAIR TABLE...
txp_users: error: Table upgrade required. Please do "REPAIR TABLE...

When I try to save an article in debug mode, I get this message: https://ibb.co/KVqZGRt

I got in touch with the hosting provider, no issue on their side according to them (really?).

Fortunately I have a database backup from mid-March. I leave it as a last resort as that would require a few hours’ work to bring back the website to the current situation. Any fixes to try before last resort?

Thanks.

Last edited by gilibaus (2022-04-12 09:52:40)

#2 2022-04-12 10:12:16

gaekwad
Server grease monkey
GitHub

Re: Database issue

If all was well until it wasn’t, that implies something behind the scenes has likely changed – out of your control. Can you visit Diagnostics and post the results here? I don’t recall if 4.5.7 has the option to hide private info, but you can smush out your site details if you like.

At the risk of stating the obvious, you could try a REPAIR on those tables first. Grab a copy of Adminer, upload to your site, take a backup, then try the repair route.

#3 2022-04-12 17:49:42

bici
Website Mastodon

Yesterday something changed. I cannot save any new / edited article. The website is slower.

Have you checked with the hosting provider to see if any updates on the PHP / MySQL environment were pushed out?
I just visited your website and it seems fairly responsive. and your last article was upated over 1000 days ago

…. texted postive

#4 2022-04-12 20:08:09

gilibaus
Website

gaekwad wrote #333069:

At the risk of stating the obvious, you could try a REPAIR on those tables first.

Sure, I will try a REPAIR and report the results back here. Thanks.

#5 2022-04-12 20:17:06

gilibaus
Website

bici wrote #333071:

Have you checked with the hosting provider to see if any updates on the PHP / MySQL environment were pushed out? I just visited your website and it seems fairly responsive. and your last article was upated over 1000 days ago.

Yes, I have checked with the hosting provider. They say no updates were pushed out recently. As for the last article, if you go to the PODCAST section you will see that the last episode was published today (but I wrote and scheduled it a couple of days ago).

#6 2022-04-13 03:40:55

colak
Admin
Website GitHub Mastodon Twitter

I always have rss_admin_db_manager installed and repair tables, minimum once a week. I’m not sure if any older versions, compatible with your php version, are currently available.

Yiannis
——————————
NeMe | hblack.art | EMAP | A Sea change | Toolkit of Care
I do my best editing after I click on the submit button.

#7 2022-04-13 03:57:01

gomedia
Plugin Author

Is this or this any help? I know you’re not upgrading TXP but the complaint about datetime 000-00-00 00:00:00 smells of MySQL STRICT issues.

#8 2022-04-13 11:59:30

gilibaus
Website

Ok, I did two things: first, edited textpattern/lib/txplib_db.php following this old suggestion by ruud. Second, I repaired (via rss_admin_db_manager) a few database tables as suggested in Diagnostics section. These two things fixed the issue: now I can create / edit / save articles again. And Diagnostics shows no database warnings anymore. Thanks everyone, your support was critical.

Last edited by gilibaus (2022-04-13 12:03:00)

#9 2022-04-13 12:39:22

gaekwad
Server grease monkey
GitHub

Gentle nudge that your Textpattern site may well drop offline with an error message if the PHP at your server is updated, so consider moving to a newer Textpattern release in the future.

#10 2022-04-13 13:28:30

gilibaus
Website

gaekwad wrote #333088:

Gentle nudge that your Textpattern site may well drop offline with an error message if the PHP at your server is updated, so consider moving to a newer Textpattern release in the future.

Sure, but that scares me a bit. Current website uses a lot of awesome TXP plugins (maybe some of them have no updated versions) and works really fine for my needs. I am not sure it will be the same once I upload a newer TXP release, unless I put in A LOT of work (which I do not have atm).

#11 2022-04-13 15:09:08

gaekwad
Server grease monkey
GitHub

gilibaus wrote #333089:

Sure, but that scares me a bit. Current website uses a lot of awesome TXP plugins (maybe some of them have no updated versions) and works really fine for my needs. I am not sure it will be the same once I upload a newer TXP release, unless I put in A LOT of work (which I do not have atm).

I get you – trust me, I’ve seen that a lot before. Here’s a relatively low work idea: post your diagnostics here and we can see what plugins you have, whether there are newer releases of them, and whether that makes the job easier with a bit more knowledge. There are plenty of people here who maintain sites with plugins, legacy and maintained, and so it might not be that big a task. Obviously no pressure or obligation, but we can guide / assist with a constructive tone.

Last edited by gaekwad (2022-04-13 15:14:23)

#12 2022-04-13 15:12:41

bici
Website Mastodon

backup everything asap and beware that when your hosting services updates MySQL / PHP you may have to do an upgrade.

Do you have the option to do a local installation under MAMP/WAMP and then upgrade local to see what gets broken?

…. texted postive

Board footer