Go to main content

Textpattern CMS support forum

You are not logged in. Register | Login | Help

#1 2022-03-13 16:06:45

jayrope
Plugin Author
Website Mastodon

jcr_file_custom -> & custom fields' future

Using jcr_file_custom momentarily and now wish i could have as many custom fields for files as needed, and change their input type just like in glz_custom_fields. Gosh i love these multiple input fields.

Over the years (in music making) i got so out of PHP coding practice, that i am stoophed there now.

However: What’s the future of custom fields like in TXP? I could probably hack my way into jcr_file_custom (taking 20x times longer than somebody who has a clue…) – but does that make sense at all, when TXP’s big custom field overhaul is coming soon?
Is it coming soon?
What exactly is coming there then?
Will my current jcr_file_custom uses prevail?

A hole turned upside down is a dome, when there’s also gravity.

#2 2022-03-13 16:37:40

jakob
Admin
Website

Re: jcr_file_custom -> & custom fields' future

Bloke is at work, I believe, on a revised custom field setup that works across different content types. Different types of fields are also part of that.

When that comes, someone (me? bloke? someone else) will need to write a migrate script to migrate my custom fields plugins to those. I’m kind of reluctant to make too many updates or versions of my plugins to avoid making the later migration more complicated.

TXP Builders – finely-crafted code, design and txp

#3 2022-03-13 16:59:02

jayrope
Plugin Author
Website Mastodon

jakob wrote #332908:

Bloke is at work, I believe, on a revised custom field setup that works across different content types. […] I’m kind of reluctant to make too many updates or versions of my plugins to avoid making the later migration more complicated.

Completely see your point. I know, this isn’t money business and people asked about this for a while. I am not complaining :) Is there an internal timeline?

A hole turned upside down is a dome, when there’s also gravity.

#4 2022-03-13 21:50:59

towndock
Website

Why not use glz_custom_fields now, and then move to Bloke’s solution when it’s ready?

I’m using glz_custom_fields on sites with Textpattern 4.8.8 and PHP 8.1. All working well.

#5 2022-03-13 23:52:45

phiw13
Plugin Author
Website

towndock wrote #332910:

Why not use glz_custom_fields now, and then move to Bloke’s solution when it’s ready?

glz_custom_fields only works on the Write panel. jcr_file_custom is for doing basically the same on the File panel. Very useful.

Where is that emoji for a solar powered submarine when you need it ?
Sand space – admin theme for Textpattern

#6 2022-03-14 11:16:14

jakob
Admin
Website

towndock wrote #332910:

I’m using glz_custom_fields on sites with Textpattern 4.8.8 and PHP 8.1. All working well.

phiw13 wrote #332912:

glz_custom_fields only works on the Write panel. jcr_file_custom is for doing basically the same on the File panel. Very useful.

My file, image, link and section plugins currently add up to five simple custom fields to the respective panels / content types. They work pretty much analog to the standard Textpattern custom fields and are presently only simple text fields (no glz_custom_field types).

And yes, the idea is that once the new custom field system is available that there will be some kind of use-once custom field migration plugin that rewrites my various plugins and glz_custom_fields to the new core format.

TXP Builders – finely-crafted code, design and txp

Board footer