Go to main content

Textpattern CMS support forum

You are not logged in. Register | Login | Help

#1 2022-03-10 08:21:16

Algaris

AdGuard

On the recommendation of people here I’ve been using AdGuard for my privacy and ad blocking. Rather than buying it outright I’ve been using it as part of my Setapp subscription and today I received the following email from Setapp:

We’re reaching out to you because you are using AdGuard on Setapp. This app communicates with the servers based in Russia, and in response to the Russian invasion of Ukraine, we exclude it from the list of our apps. Starting today, the app will no longer be a part of the Setapp collection.

We’ll add a suitable replacement in the nearest future! Please stay tuned.

Unfortunately, we don’t know how long the app will remain functional for the users who have already installed it. The developer may block the access anytime.

You received this email because you’re using AdGuard app on Setapp. You won’t receive any marketing emails if you are not subscribed to the Setapp newsletter.

Your Setapp Team

#2 2022-03-10 09:17:30

colak
Admin
Website GitHub Mastodon Twitter

Re: AdGuard

Hi Algaris,
On FF I use privacy badger, AdBlockPlus, Disconnect, and Facebook Container.

Yiannis
——————————
NeMe | hblack.art | EMAP | A Sea change | Toolkit of Care
I do my best editing after I click on the submit button.

#3 2022-03-10 10:03:26

gaekwad
Server grease monkey
GitHub

From en.wikipedia.org/wiki/AdGuard

AdGuard Software Limited was founded in 2009 in Moscow. In 2014 the company was incorporated in Cyprus and subsequently moved its headquarters there.

Get a lifetime licence from StackSocial (be ready to unsubscribe from emails, they’re very chatty) – stacksocial.com/search?utf8=✓&query=adguard – and you’re back on the air.

#4 2022-03-10 10:15:07

Algaris

colak wrote #332885:

Hi Algaris,
On FF I use privacy badger, AdBlockPlus, Disconnect, and Facebook Container.

Thank you Colak. I primarily use Safari on my Mac and I can’t get those extensions. When I have to use a PC I use Firefox with Privacy Badger, and UBlock Origin. I’ll have to give Facebook Container and Disconnect a look over. Hopefully they have a Safari version.

gaekwad wrote #332886:

From en.wikipedia.org/wiki/AdGuard

AdGuard Software Limited was founded in 2009 in Moscow. In 2014 the company was incorporated in Cyprus and subsequently moved its headquarters there.

Get a lifetime licence from StackSocial (be ready to unsubscribe from emails, they’re very chatty) – stacksocial.com/search?utf8=✓&query=adguard – and you’re back on the air.

Interesting. Thank you Pete. I wonder if Setapp realised AdGuard have moved to Cyprus and aren’t in Russia anymore (unless some data has to pass through Russian servers for some reason). I did suspect that one day AdGuard might leave Setapp but I didn’t want to pay for it as I was already getting it as part of my subscription.

#5 2022-03-10 10:23:11

gaekwad
Server grease monkey
GitHub

Algaris wrote #332887:

I wonder if Setapp realised AdGuard have moved to Cyprus and aren’t in Russia anymore (unless some data has to pass through Russian servers for some reason).

That’s it, in a nutshell. Servers ≠ headquarters, though it’s definitely a link to having operations in a given location. It gets more complex since there are some AdGuard staff in Ukraine, too. Edit: servers can be relocated, of course, especially in the current era of cloud availability.

There are plenty of VPN companies headquartered in Cyprus, too. I’m of the opinion – and please take this as my 2c, plenty of salt – that if my due diligence of a company checks out, I trust them until I don’t. Nothing touches AdGuard for price / protection / benefits in my experience, same with NordVPN (out of Panama).

Last edited by gaekwad (2022-03-10 10:23:41)

#6 2022-03-11 06:03:33

colak
Admin
Website GitHub Mastodon Twitter

Algaris wrote #332887:

Thank you Colak. I primarily use Safari on my Mac and I can’t get those extensions.

adblockplus, the site of which is powered by txp, is actually available, and I have it installed on Safari via the App Store.

Edited to add that AdGuard is also available in the App Store for free.

Yiannis
——————————
NeMe | hblack.art | EMAP | A Sea change | Toolkit of Care
I do my best editing after I click on the submit button.

#7 2022-03-11 06:34:30

phiw13
Plugin Author
Website

Algaris – I use the 1Blocker extension with Safari on both Mac and iPhone with great success, in the App store, cheap subscription for full power.

Meanwhile, related: DuckDuckgo goes down the path of censorship muting (DDG CEO on Twitter) “inconvenient” information. Dr. Kaye’s research on the US use of bio-weapons in Korea is “downgraded” as an example (here, Twitter link). Brave search (search.brave.com) and Andi search (andisearch.com) are still somewhat sane.

Where is that emoji for a solar powered submarine when you need it ?
Sand space – admin theme for Textpattern

Board footer