Go to main content

Textpattern CMS support forum

You are not logged in. Register | Login | Help

#1 2022-03-07 18:04:31

gaekwad
Server grease monkey
GitHub

Textpattern CMS office hours

As part of an initiative run by Open Collective. I’ve been attending 8 interactive sessions about open source projects. There have been many useful points raised that I’m going to summarise & investigate, but one thing that’s on my mind right now is how feasible Textpattern office hours might be. Office hours in this context means (from here ):

Office hours are a dedicated time and online space to have “real time” conversations about your questions, and hear first hand accounts of your activities. Having set times for this type of interaction will make sure that everyone has a fair chance to receive real time support. Everyone is invited to participate, ask questions, and share their activities.

Essentially, we gauge the community to see how viable this would be, when we might run this, and how often. Developers, experts, users and anyone else can check in via webcam or audio at a regular & advertised time, ask questions, hack along, and so on. This is an external task to the planned community chat / meetup server that’s in the works (and when I find time I will set that up), and we would use an no-cost, browser-friendly hosted solution in the first instance to lower the barrier to entry.

What do you think? Is this worth pursuing?

Last edited by gaekwad (2022-03-07 19:40:40)

#2 2022-03-08 06:01:33

phiw13
Plugin Author
Website

Re: Textpattern CMS office hours

What do you think? Is this worth pursuing?

No idea actually. I am a bit doubtful about this kind of things, made more difficult given how small the potential support-team might be. But if you do start to organise this kind of “meetings” on a semi-regular base, think about doing it at different times for different time zones.

Where is that emoji for a solar powered submarine when you need it ?
Sand space – admin theme for Textpattern

#3 2022-03-08 11:16:33

colak
Admin
Website GitHub Mastodon Twitter

phiw13 wrote #332871:

No idea actually. I am a bit doubtful about this kind of things, made more difficult given how small the potential support-team might be. But if you do start to organise this kind of “meetings” on a semi-regular base, think about doing it at different times for different time zones.

I’ll echo this, but I also think that most Open Source projects do not have the kind of caring support we offer in this forum.

Yiannis
——————————
NeMe | hblack.art | EMAP | A Sea change | Toolkit of Care
I do my best editing after I click on the submit button.

#4 2022-03-08 11:26:25

phiw13
Plugin Author
Website

colak wrote #332875:

[…] most Open Source projects do not have the kind of caring support we offer in this forum.

Yeah, that is a very important and very useful channel. Back in the days of the Camino project, the forum was the best way to care for the users with all kind of issues – from bug reports to troubleshootingn and general help requests and feature suggestions.

Where is that emoji for a solar powered submarine when you need it ?
Sand space – admin theme for Textpattern

#5 2022-03-08 13:27:13

gaekwad
Server grease monkey
GitHub

All good points. Thanks, both.

#6 2022-03-09 05:31:18

Kjeld
Website

I like the idea, but wonder how feasible it would be. One wants assistance when the issue comes up, and you don’t want to burden the team with doing this too often.

On the benefit side, it could strengthen community bonds, and lead to new ideas for Textpattern.

Old Photos of Japan – Japan in the 1850s~1960s (100% txp)
MeijiShowa – Stock photos of Japan in the 1850s~1960s (100% txp)
JapaneseStreets.com – Japanese street fashion (mostly txp)

#7 2022-03-09 08:40:19

jakob
Admin
Website

Kjeld wrote #332879:

I like the idea, but wonder how feasible it would be. One wants assistance when the issue comes up, and you don’t want to burden the team with doing this too often.

On the benefit side, it could strengthen community bonds, and lead to new ideas for Textpattern.

Absolutely my thinking too!

TXP Builders – finely-crafted code, design and txp

#8 2022-03-09 10:11:05

gaekwad
Server grease monkey
GitHub

OK, thanks everyone – message received – shelved for now!

Board footer