Go to main content

Textpattern CMS support forum

You are not logged in. Register | Login | Help

#1 2022-02-08 19:25:32

gaekwad
Server grease monkey
GitHub

Textpattern docs, moving from GitHub Pages to self-hosted

Textpattern user documentation is currently hosted on GitHub Pages. It is going to be moved to our own infrastructure via a self-hosted instance of Jekyll. The docs URLdocs.textpattern.com – will not change.

I have set up a beta-grade instance of self-hosted docs. I would be most grateful for your eyes, your time, and your feedback. Please check out the site and note any quirks, bugs or unexpected behaviour – either as reply in this thread or the docs self-hosting tracking issue at GitHub. Here’s the link:

——> docs-test.textpattern.com/ <——

(note: this is a temporary URL for beta testing, it will disappear when we’re ready to switch)

There is more work to do behind the scenes, but the intention is to have this sync from the Textpattern docs repository on a frequent basis. The beta site should match the appearance of the current docs site, but I’m sure there are some snags I haven’t found that need addressed.

Questions, observations, any of that stuff – please leave a reply and I’ll do what I can.

Last edited by gaekwad (2022-02-08 19:56:33)

#2 2022-02-13 09:19:01

Kjeld
Website

Re: Textpattern docs, moving from GitHub Pages to self-hosted

gaekwad wrote #332702:

Textpattern user documentation is currently hosted on GitHub Pages. It is going to be moved to our own infrastructure via a self-hosted instance of Jekyll. The docs URLdocs.textpattern.com – will not change.

I have set up a beta-grade instance of self-hosted docs. I would be most grateful for your eyes, your time, and your feedback. Please check out the site and note any quirks, bugs or unexpected behaviour – either as reply in this thread or the docs self-hosting tracking issue at GitHub. Here’s the link:

——> docs-test.textpattern.com/ <——

(note: this is a temporary URL for beta testing, it will disappear when we’re ready to switch)

There is more work to do behind the scenes, but the intention is to have this sync from the Textpattern docs repository on a frequent basis. The beta site should match the appearance of the current docs site, but I’m sure there are some snags I haven’t found that need addressed.

Questions, observations, any of that stuff – please leave a reply and I’ll do what I can.

Haven’t tested extensively, but I don’t encounter any issues.

Thanks for the work!

Old Photos of Japan – Japan in the 1850s~1960s (100% txp)
MeijiShowa – Stock photos of Japan in the 1850s~1960s (100% txp)
JapaneseStreets.com – Japanese street fashion (mostly txp)

#3 2022-02-14 07:44:08

gaekwad
Server grease monkey
GitHub

Thanks, Kjeld! I’m nearly there with the self-hosting, the only snag is the scheduled rebuild not firing correctly, once that’s resolved we’re all systems go.

#4 2022-02-14 09:23:12

Kjeld
Website

gaekwad wrote #332736:

Thanks, Kjeld! I’m nearly there with the self-hosting, the only snag is the scheduled rebuild not firing correctly, once that’s resolved we’re all systems go.

Sounds promising!

Old Photos of Japan – Japan in the 1850s~1960s (100% txp)
MeijiShowa – Stock photos of Japan in the 1850s~1960s (100% txp)
JapaneseStreets.com – Japanese street fashion (mostly txp)

#5 2022-02-14 12:27:48

phiw13
Plugin Author
Website

After a non-exhaustive visit, everything seems to hold fine. Search is stil a problem :-(

Where is that emoji for a solar powered submarine when you need it ?
Sand space – admin theme for Textpattern

#6 2022-02-14 12:44:15

gaekwad
Server grease monkey
GitHub

phiw13 wrote #332742:

After a non-exhaustive visit, everything seems to hold fine.

Great!

Search is stil a problem :-(

Yeah, not good. We have a tracking issue to replace the search function here:

github.com/textpattern/textpattern.github.io/issues/192

That link includes a possible replacement, and I suspect it’ll be easier to sort when we’re self-hosting, so please consider it queued.

The rebuild issue, in overview format:

• We pull the latest repo contents every n hours.
  • We rebuild the site from the repo each time we pull.
  • The site rebuild should not be run as root (bad stuff happens).
  • The site rebuild may be run as the web server user (i.e. www-data in our case), but since that user doesn’t have a login shell, and the site rebuild stuff needs components typically found in the user’s home directory, that needs some finagling.

A user with a shell may be able to do the donkey work, perhaps if there’s a www-robot user or similar, but I haven’t had time to test that yet. It should be straightforward if the user has a shell but cannot log in, for example.

#7 2022-05-16 12:31:56

gaekwad
Server grease monkey
GitHub

Now self-hosted, soak testing request to follow shortly.

Board footer