Go to main content

Textpattern CMS support forum

You are not logged in. Register | Login | Help

#1 2022-02-08 01:53:41

Vitruvius
Plugin Author

Error saving some Pages, Forms

Hoping someone can shed some light on this weird error that has popped up on our TXP site.

Saving some Pages and some Forms results in an instant error dialogue “Sorry, the form could not be submitted. Please try again later.”

It’s not all Pages and Forms – but copying the entire contents of a Page giving the error to a new page causes the same error on save.

Weird thing is that the site had been working perfectly with no issues and we did not change any configuration in the meantime.

I’ve tried different browsers and different computers + restarting – no dice.

I’ve tried upgrading the TXP 4.8.8 – still getting the same error.

PHP version on the server is 5.6.40

TXP Diagnostics are showing all checks passed.

Can anyone help?

#2 2022-02-08 05:37:01

phiw13
Plugin Author
Website

Re: Error saving some Pages, Forms

This sounds like a problem with an (overzealous) mod_security filter on the side of your hosting service (see here for example). Reporting the issue to your hosts sometimes helps.

Where is that emoji for a solar powered submarine when you need it ?
Sand space – admin theme for Textpattern

#3 2022-02-08 10:07:43

gaekwad
Server grease monkey
GitHub

Vitruvius wrote #332686:

PHP version on the server is 5.6.40

When this is sorted out (and I agree with phiw13, it sounds like a security filter), check if you can upgrade PHP to a newer version. PHP 5.6.40 was released in January 2019 on the day support for it was stopped…and there are exploits for it that will not be addressed.

You might also find a newer PHP version has a sufficiently different security setup that you don’t get this saving error. Try PHP 7.4 on your site if it’s available. If that works OK, check if you have PHP 8.0 for extra performance improvements. If you have Textpattern 4.8.8 you’re also OK with PHP 8.1 – at least in the core software, some plugins may need tweaks.

#4 2022-02-08 10:50:04

Vitruvius
Plugin Author

Thank you for both of those replies.

I did think to upgrade the PHP version and will get that happening asap to see if it solves the problem.

I also tried modifying the .htaccess file to temporarily turn mod_security off – but that didn’t seem to work.

I’ll post back here if I make any progress.

Board footer