Go to main content

Textpattern CMS support forum

You are not logged in. Register | Login | Help

#1 2021-11-15 23:16:22

Bloke
Developer
Website GitHub

Call for custom field test data

I’ve got some downtime between projects so I’m going to spend some time on Txp 4.9.0.

If anyone can roll up a database/file system dump of a site that uses a load of custom fields, I’d be incredibly grateful so I can stress test the upgrade script with real-world data. Doesn’t have to be ‘live’ customer data – you can anonymise it if there’s anything sensitive in there.

I’ll only be testing it locally on MAMP anyway by loading the test data into an empty database under a few versions of PHP to see where the holes are and what needs bolstering during the upgrade process.

Things I’m after:

• Targetting any version of Txp from, say, 4.6+ (or maybe 4.5.7+. I probably don’t have versions of PHP that’ll run anything older).
  • As many or as few custom fields in use. Large or small site: doesn’t matter.
  • If the site uses glz_custom_fields – and a wide variety of field types – then that’s even better because the upgrade script will only upgrade regular text fields at the moment (since that’s all Txp supports). I can use the test data to look into the feasibility of writing a separate pre- or post-upgrade script that will migrate the glz_cf data over to the new structure too (might need some help here from Jools!)
  • If the site uses any of the jcr_custom_* plugins to add custom fields to other content types, again, that would be valuable to see if there’s some way we can use the pre-/post-upgrade script to migrate that data too. It’s outside the scope of Txp to do it in core, but I’m keen to not leave anyone out in the cold.

If anyone has site data – as a database dump file, zip, etc – they’re willing to share for Txp science, please send it over to me via email. Or, if it’s a large amount of data, by all means use wetransfer.com. In either case, please use txpcustom@ and then my domain name as destination email address.

Thank you!

Last edited by Bloke (2021-11-15 23:19:33)

The smd plugin menagerie — for when you need one more gribble of power from Textpattern. Bleeding-edge code available on GitHub.

Txp Builders – finely-crafted code, design and Txp

#2 2021-11-16 05:10:26

colak
Admin
Website GitHub Mastodon Twitter

Re: Call for custom field test data

Hi Stef, You have access to the NeMe site. We use no CF plugins and it might be an edge case but do feel free to use our db locally.

Yiannis
——————————
NeMe | hblack.art | EMAP | A Sea change | Toolkit of Care
I do my best editing after I click on the submit button.

#3 2021-11-16 08:09:17

phiw13
Plugin Author
Website

How urgently do you need those? I’ll see what I can do when I have access to some DB’s.

Where is that emoji for a solar powered submarine when you need it ?
Sand space – admin theme for Textpattern

#4 2021-11-16 08:18:29

Bloke
Developer
Website GitHub

Thank you both.

No hurry at all. Just want to do whatever possible to ensure data isn’t going to get trashed during migration to the new table structure. The more varied the data, the more confidence there is that it’ll work in the wild beyond regular testing with made-up data.

The smd plugin menagerie — for when you need one more gribble of power from Textpattern. Bleeding-edge code available on GitHub.

Txp Builders – finely-crafted code, design and Txp

#5 2021-11-16 09:26:53

jakob
Admin
Website

I’ll certainly have some data of the different kinds and am keen that glz_cf and the jcr_ plugins could be relegated to the past in favour of a core solution. I’ll see if I can put some sample db content together next week but poke me if I don’t get to it immediately.

TXP Builders – finely-crafted code, design and txp

#6 2021-11-16 09:51:22

etc
Developer
Website GitHub

Bloke wrote #331956:

I’ve got some downtime between projects so I’m going to spend some time on Txp 4.9.0.

Yay!

Board footer