Go to main content

Textpattern CMS support forum

You are not logged in. Register | Login | Help

#1 2021-11-10 12:54:08

Bloke
Developer
Website GitHub

Quoting lists in custom fields

I feel it must be possible to quote a list stored in a custom field so it can be included in a tag but the mechanism escapes me. Here’s an example of what I have now:

<p>Jump to:
<category::list categories='starters, mains, side-dishes, extras-homemade-sauces, desserts-drinks' break="|">
   <a href="#<txp:category />"><txp:category title /></a>
</category::list>
</p>
<txp:article_custom
   section='<txp:article_url_title />'
   sort="FIELD(category1, 'starters', 'mains', 'side-dishes', 'extras-homemade-sauces', 'desserts-drinks'), custom_1"
   class="menu-list"
   form="menu_listing"
   limit="999"
   wraptag="table" />

Pretty simple: it creates a menu of items in a table and adds a jumplist at the top so you can jump to each section.

But instead of repeating the list of categories, I want to store them somewhere, e.g. a custom field in the article, because each menu (article) might use a different categorisation scheme or order (lunchtime specials, a la carte, etc).

The menu items themselves are all in a (pageless) section that matches the article URL title (so the client can manage the menu via adi_matrix to update prices and dishes).

Note that the two lists are quoted differently. The first is a straight list, the second is quoted. If I store the list of categories in a custom field called CategoryOrder like this:

starters, mains, side-dishes, extras-homemade-sauces, desserts-drinks

Can I transform that into:

'starters', 'mains', 'side-dishes', 'extras-homemade-sauces', 'desserts-drinks'

?

<txp:custom_field name="CategoryOrder" break="', '" escape="quote" />

renders this:

concat('starters',"'",' mains',"'",' side-dishes',"'",' extras-homemade-sauces',"'",' desserts-drinks')

Without the break, I get the outer quotes but not inner ones between each item. Do I need to mess with breakform and <+> to get this to do what I want?

Further, can I embed this custom field construction into a sort attribute or will it just explode if I do something like this:

sort='FIELD(category1, <txp:custom_field name="CategoryOrder" escape="blah blah" />), custom_1'

Any thoughts welcome.

The smd plugin menagerie — for when you need one more gribble of power from Textpattern. Bleeding-edge code available on GitHub.

Txp Builders – finely-crafted code, design and Txp

#2 2021-11-10 15:23:47

etc
Developer
Website GitHub

Re: Quoting lists in custom fields

The quick-n-dirtiest option might be

<txp:custom_field name="CategoryOrder" trim="/\s*,\s*/" replace="','" wraptag="'" />

When using it in sort as above, you probably should duplicate '' quotes, I have not tested it.

FWIW, escape="quote" intent is to quote tags output for use in query attribute of <txp:evaluate />. It does not split/quote lists neither interplays with break etc. We could add escape="quotelist" or escape="dblist" if nesessary.

#3 2021-11-10 15:58:46

Bloke
Developer
Website GitHub

Ah yes, find ‘n replace. Forgot about that, thanks. As you say, escaping the quotes for the sort attribute might be prudent. I’ll give it a whirl, thank you.

Not averse to some additional *list transforms if they make sense.

The smd plugin menagerie — for when you need one more gribble of power from Textpattern. Bleeding-edge code available on GitHub.

#4 2021-11-10 16:12:11

etc
Developer
Website GitHub

Actually, now that break and breakby are (really) global, making escape act on items level looks more clever. Then one could obtain what you need with

<!-- breaks the list, db-escapes its items and implodes it again -->
<txp:custom_field name="CategoryOrder" breakby break="," escape="db, quote" />

Not fully bwc, but the difference should be marginal.

#5 2021-11-10 17:13:18

Bloke
Developer
Website GitHub

The find/replace worked a treat, that’s brilliant. The second one looks neater but just quoted the entire set. Unless I need to pull a later version of 4.8.8-dev down.

Final sort attribute with double apostrophes to escape the fact I’m using single quotes to surround the attribute for parsing:

sort='FIELD(category1, <custom::field name="CategoryOrder" trim="/\s*,\s*/" replace="'',''" wraptag="''" />), custom_1'

Nice!

#6 2021-11-11 20:54:40

etc
Developer
Website GitHub

Bloke wrote #331929:

The second one looks neater but just quoted the entire set. Unless I need to pull a later version of 4.8.8-dev down.

Just landed in 4.8.8, please try

sort='FIELD(category1, <custom::field name="CategoryOrder" break="," escape="db, quote" />), custom_1'

#7 2021-11-13 20:28:11

lazlo

This looks settled but the rah-repeat plugin will do all that with sort, exclude and more.

https://rahforum.biz/plugins/rah_repeat
https://forum.textpattern.com/viewtopic.php?id=32384&p=5

<txp:rah_repeat <txp:custom_field name="CategoryOrder" wraptag="ul" break=",">
	'<txp:rah_repeat_value />'
</txp:rah_repeat>
<txp:rah_repeat value="starters, mains, side-dishes, extras-homemade-sauces, desserts-drinks" wraptag="ul" break=",">
	'<txp:rah_repeat_value />'
</txp:rah_repeat>

should return

<ul>
	'starters', 'mains', 'side-dishes', 'extras-homemade-sauces', 'desserts-drinks'
</ul>

Board footer