Go to main content

Textpattern CMS support forum

You are not logged in. Register | Login | Help

#1 2021-11-06 07:36:35

phiw13
Plugin Author
Website

enterkeyhint attribute

This is interesting for small screen devices: the enterkeyhint attribute on form elements lets you specify a label for the “enter” key on virtual keyboards. It has been available since autumn 2019 (iOS, Android + Chromium) and Firefox now supports it too. If I understand it correctly, it automatically localises based on the users OS language

Description on MDN; article (with some screenshots) at CSStricks

One very obvious usecase: those typical search forms where the submit button is omitted or hidden.

Filed under “things I did not know about”.

Where is that emoji for a solar powered submarine when you need it ?
Sand space – admin theme for Textpattern

#2 2021-11-08 09:18:35

philwareham
Core designer
Website GitHub Mastodon

Re: enterkeyhint attribute

Anywhere of use on the Textpattern admin panels?

#3 2021-11-08 09:53:00

phiw13
Plugin Author
Website

Re: enterkeyhint attribute

philwareham wrote #331908:

Anywhere of use on the Textpattern admin panels?

I don’t think so [*]. The search field(s) already automagically get a search label virtue of their type. Other forms, I don’t think, based on some light testing. I could be wrong, as I just started exploring that attribute.

[*] it is a bit unfortunate the way it works, at least in Safari (iOS15), where the next label would just jump to the next required field by jumping “over” non-required fiels in between, but the little arrow-buttons (the “tab” buttons/keys) at the top of the keyboard work correctly. That would otherwise be useful to help the user navigate from field to field (as an alternate “tab” key so to speak).

Where is that emoji for a solar powered submarine when you need it ?
Sand space – admin theme for Textpattern

Board footer