Go to main content

Textpattern CMS support forum

You are not logged in. Register | Login | Help

#1 2021-10-13 08:58:41

gaekwad
Server grease monkey
GitHub

Webfaction closed down

Calling any Webfaction users – how was the shutdown handled from a client point of view? I’m handling an email to our inbox about a Textpattern site that has gone away with the Webfaction shutdown, and I’m curious if anyone can shed any light on how it was communicated.

Thank you.

#2 2021-10-13 09:29:28

colak
Admin
Website GitHub Mastodon Twitter

Re: Webfaction closed down

Hi Pete,
Here’s an email we received on 13/10/2020

Dear WebFaction customer,

We are writing to let you know about updates to the WebFaction migration plan. We expect the migration of WebFaction customers to tsoHost to be complete by the end of June 2021.

Please note, TsoHost and WebFaction are a part of Paragon Internet Group Limited. TsoHost is a UK provider of hosting, domains, email, VPS and dedicated servers. Both WebFaction and tsoHost are part of the GoDaddy group.

How will the migration happen?

We have planned the migration to roll out in two parts, which will happen together, beginning in November 2020 and continuing until end of June 2021. As you migrate to tsoHost, here is what to expect:

1. Customer accounts – Customer profile (name and contact details) information from WebFaction will be used to create your account on tsoHost.

2. Websites & email – Your websites and email will migrate from WebFaction to tsoHost.

As a new tsoHost customer, all your hosting, billing, and support will now come through tsoHost. Once your new account is created you will need to login to tsoHost and add payment details for service continuation.

We will update you with a 30-day advance notice to let you know what changes are coming and when to expect them. Until then, please continue to access your account as normal.

What do I have to do?

Very little. We plan to handle the migration for you, but please note some accounts will be unable to migrate. If we are unable to migrate your account, you will receive a separate communication with further details.

Before work begins, we’ll email you the latest information and include details on the steps and processes involved.

When will changes start to take place?

Further purchases through WebFaction will be unavailable after 14 October 2020.

Migrations will start in November 2020 and continue until the end of June 2021.

What are my options?

If do not want to move to tsoHost please contact the customer service team before October 31st to opt-out of migration.

Opted out sites will be cancelled on December 9th 2020.

When will the platform close?

The WebFaction platform and any sites that were not migratable will be closed near the end of March 2021. Any websites not migrated will have unused fees automatically refunded to the account holder within 45 days of product closure. Please contact WebFaction support if any issues arise.

Where can I find out more information?

We will update https://www.webfaction.com/ website with additional information, timelines and migration process overview during the coming weeks, please check for the latest updates.

Regards,

The WebFaction Team

Yiannis
——————————
NeMe | hblack.art | EMAP | A Sea change | Toolkit of Care
I do my best editing after I click on the submit button.

#3 2021-10-13 09:31:58

gaekwad
Server grease monkey
GitHub

Perfect – thanks, Yiannis.

#4 2021-10-13 09:51:30

colak
Admin
Website GitHub Mastodon Twitter

Just to say that db driven sites could not be migrated automatically. In any case, we changed hosts:)

Yiannis
——————————
NeMe | hblack.art | EMAP | A Sea change | Toolkit of Care
I do my best editing after I click on the submit button.

#5 2021-10-13 09:58:01

gaekwad
Server grease monkey
GitHub

colak wrote #331785:

Just to say that db driven sites could not be migrated automatically.

Oh, that’s interesting – I wonder if we’re going to see more of this in the coming days, then. The usual social networks aren’t exactly ablaze with horror stories, so hopefully minimal damage.

In any case, we changed hosts:)

Given the choice of Tsohost or any other provider, smart move!

#6 2021-10-13 14:12:17

Kjeld
Website

colak wrote #331783:

Both WebFaction and tsoHost are part of the GoDaddy group.

GoDaddy is everywhere… 😟

Old Photos of Japan – Japan in the 1850s~1960s (100% txp)
MeijiShowa – Stock photos of Japan in the 1850s~1960s (100% txp)
JapaneseStreets.com – Japanese street fashion (mostly txp)

#7 2021-10-13 16:00:47

bici
Website Mastodon

18 months or so ago i took their early warnings about their impeding takeover by GoDaddy seriously. I moved everything over to Opalstack. They specialized in getting folks weaned off of webfaction. Email was very easy to migrate. I don’t know if you are referring to the need to migrate an email inbox in your post? If so, you may want to look at this
There were no issues in migrating over 7 Textpattern websites and their DBs

…. texted postive

#8 2022-06-22 15:40:00

bici
Website Mastodon

some perhaps useful information for the more techie among us:
Introducing the open source Opalstack Python Library

PyPI

…. texted postive

Board footer