Go to main content

Textpattern CMS support forum

You are not logged in. Register | Login | Help

#1 2021-08-18 09:53:06

gaekwad
Server grease monkey
GitHub

Textpattern + PHP Opcache: call for testers

I have deployed PHP 8.0 Opcache to two of the Textpattern demo sites.

While the traffic is not sufficient for it to make a big difference in practical terms, I am keen to make sure we can have a Opcache configuration that works for sites with higher traffic, especially with regards to exclusions / exceptions inside Textpattern’s guts.

This is a call for testers, specifically anyone familiar with the following demo sites:

dev-demo.textpattern.co/dev/
release-demo.textpattern.co

Please let me know if you find any issues that you think relate to server caching. You can use this thread, or raise a GitHub issue – whatever you prefer. Any unexpected behaviour that could be blamed on server caching, please share the details. Thank you.

Both sites run on PHP 8.0, both have Opcache stuff enabled with (what I believe to be) a sensible, basic configuration. There may be small changes to the configuration depending on feedback / findings. If this goes smoothly, I’ll deploy it to our production Textpattern sites. When that’s done, I’ll look into the feasibility of Opcache for the forum, which should give us a small performance boost.

#2 2021-08-18 13:35:10

etc
Developer
Website GitHub

Re: Textpattern + PHP Opcache: call for testers

Nice job, Pete, everything seems to run smoothly as far.

#3 2021-08-18 18:06:42

whocarez
Plugin Author
Website GitHub Twitter

Which variable do you want to optimize? The memory_consumption or the size of interned_strings_buffer? On a configuration with several websites, I had once to adjust the max_accelerated_files, but for a single Textpattern installation, it should not be necessary.

#4 2021-08-18 19:28:51

gaekwad
Server grease monkey
GitHub

whocarez wrote #331421:

Which variable do you want to optimize?

Right now? None. I am just happy to know it works with the configuration I provided!

I did change opcache.file_cache_only to 0 and that killed it – out of memory error instantly – so I need to find out what causes that.

#5 2022-01-21 17:15:51

towndock
Website

Are more of the Textpattern community sites now using Opcache? Looking for any insight re whether Opcache provides a significant performance benefit for Textpattern sites.

Board footer