Go to main content

Textpattern CMS support forum

You are not logged in. Register | Login | Help

#1 2021-07-23 02:43:32

bici
Website Mastodon

Make changes to a Page fails to save

I am helping a local nonprofit with their website. They have a Page form that fails to save if one makes a change to it. I can duplicate any other Page or make a change but this one particular Page causes a fail. I upgraded their site to the the latest version without any resolution to the problem. I exported the code from their problem Page and it installed into my website without any issues. Presentation/Pages/archives/ is the name of the Page. the error message is :

example.com says
Sorry, the form could not be submitted. Please try again later.

but the issue never resolves.

The Page form is their archives list and it is supposed to pull in articles by year. They cannot add 2021 for display of articles

…. texted postive

#2 2021-07-23 04:46:43

phiw13
Plugin Author
Website

Re: Make changes to a Page fails to save

That is almost certainly another instance of mod_security being a bit overzealous. Recent similar occurrences: here and here.

Reporting the issue to the hosting service might (will sometimes…) help. Meanwhile using the theme functionality, save and edit the form on disc and then use the “update from disc” should work fine.

Where is that emoji for a solar powered submarine when you need it ?
Sand space – admin theme for Textpattern

#3 2021-07-23 06:20:48

bici
Website Mastodon

phiw13 wrote #331093:

That is almost certainly another instance of mod_security being a bit overzealous. Recent similar occurrences: here and here.

Reporting the issue to the hosting service might (will sometimes…) help. Meanwhile using the theme functionality, save and edit the form on disc and then use the “update from disc” should work fine.

re. Meanwhile using the theme functionality, save and edit the form on disc and then use the “update from disc” should work fine.

I am not following this? i am not familiar with this process via theme? where is the page exported?

…. texted postive

#4 2021-07-23 13:58:08

Pat64
Plugin Author
GitHub Twitter

bici wrote #331095:
[…]
I am not following this? i am not familiar with this process via theme? where is the page exported?

For the first export, choose the “Theme” tab, then click in front of your theme name, finally choose “Export to the server” from the bottom select box.

Patrick.

Github | CodePen | Codier | Simplr theme | Wait Me: a maintenance theme | [\a mi.ni.ma]: a “Low Tech” simple Blog theme.

#5 2021-07-23 15:31:09

colak
Admin
Website GitHub Mastodon Twitter

Hi bici,

Did you try this temporary solution?

Yiannis
——————————
NeMe | hblack.art | EMAP | A Sea change | Toolkit of Care
I do my best editing after I click on the submit button.

#6 2021-07-23 16:03:42

bici
Website Mastodon

colak wrote #331109:

Hi bici,

Did you try this temporary solution?

I thought I did. But apparently DreamHost has blocked mod_security override via .htaccess according to some online forums.

I had a brain freeze last night and i had misread the Theme / Export/ Edit/ iImport suggestion. Somehow when “disc” was mentioned i was looking for files to be saved to my laptop ;-) DUH! I just tried it now and that suggestion works and is what i will show the gallery this afternoon. Simple and they only have to do it once a year.
PS Files are exported to Server

EDITED:Thanks to all for your help and suggestions.

Last edited by bici (2021-07-23 16:15:14)

…. texted postive

#7 2021-07-24 08:49:57

phiw13
Plugin Author
Website

bici wrote #331110:

(ref. temporarily disabling mode_security)
I thought I did. But apparently DreamHost has blocked mod_security override via .htaccess according to some online forums.

that seems correct – unfortunately. I just tried on a shared server at Dreamhost. While adding that code to my .htaccess file did not trigger any errors (500 ?) it also had absolutely NO effect on the problem at hand (:-().

But anyway, glad you could figure out a work around by using the theme functionality.

Where is that emoji for a solar powered submarine when you need it ?
Sand space – admin theme for Textpattern

#8 2021-07-24 15:25:36

bici
Website Mastodon

phiw13 wrote #331118:

But anyway, glad you could figure out a work around by using the theme functionality.

Thanks to your excellent suggestion.

…. texted postive

Board footer