Go to main content

Textpattern CMS support forum

You are not logged in. Register | Login | Help

#109 2021-07-14 09:25:40

colak
Admin
Website GitHub Mastodon Twitter

Re: Fook Google and its fookin' sheet

Thanks for sharing that. I feel like that a whole generation of silicon valley (inspired) companies viewed the Black Mirror cautionary tales and are now regurgitating it back at us undigested.

Excuse the shameless, but related to this thread, promotion of our latest videos regarding the precarious work offered by online companies. The French speakers amongst us may recognise Antonio Casilli’s name who frequently contributes to Place de la Toile.
youtube.com/playlist?list=PLg8kx0E5hQm6EqiWuSpcxhNjligud-1Vz

Yiannis
——————————
NeMe | hblack.art | EMAP | A Sea change | Toolkit of Care
I do my best editing after I click on the submit button.

#110 2022-05-31 08:12:16

Destry
Website

zero wrote #329143:

I saw this article on my social media which gives step by step details on how to set up the Searx search engine on Linux. You would need self-hosting or full access to the server but the author links to his own and a list of other publicly available versions ready to use.

Searx is what I have switched to. I don’t really care about depth of reach, as so many people are quick to point out in defense of Google search, for example. All I need is info, and if I can get it via searx, it worx. :)

It’s now available in FF preferences as an option.

I made the switch off DDG, pretty much for this reason. I don’t dislike DDG, and maybe it will get better in the future, but searx’s About page is speaking to me.

#111 2022-05-31 08:31:47

phiw13
Plugin Author
Website

Destry wrote #333465:

Searx is what I have switched to. […]

Yeah, for the same and some more reasons a while ago I have added it to my list in the xSearch extension for Safari (customise search + shortcuts). The results are quite decent (certainly not worse that others). I just wish their layout was not stuck in that unreadable dark-mode with small text.

Where is that emoji for a solar powered submarine when you need it ?
Sand space – admin theme for Textpattern

#112 2022-05-31 18:14:50

jakob
Admin
Website

phiw13 wrote #333467:

The results are quite decent (certainly not worse that others). I just wish their layout was not stuck in that unreadable dark-mode with small text.

Thanks for the pointer. I haven’t seen that one before. I’m guessing you’re aware of the settings under “Theme” and “Style” in the preferences at the top right of the window. Pointhi is a bit clearer than logicodev but it looks like it can be quite comprehensively modified: see, for example, the instance at https://searx.priv.pw.

TXP Builders – finely-crafted code, design and txp

#113 2022-06-01 00:53:03

phiw13
Plugin Author
Website

jakob wrote #333477:

Thanks for the pointer. I haven’t seen that one before. I’m guessing you’re aware of the settings under “Theme” and “Style” in the preferences at the top right of the window. Pointhi is a bit clearer than logicodev but it looks like it can be quite comprehensively modified: see, for example, the instance at https://searx.priv.pw.

Ah, thank you for that preference setting. Honestly had not seen it… :-(. Pointhi theme is indeed a huge improvement. Add a bit of browser zoom to get a reasonable font-size to polish.

BTW – fun? As a test for the theme, I searched for “Tetxpattern”. In the side bar, the result page shows:

Engines cannot retrieve results:
soundcloud (HTTP error), btdigg (too many requests), microsoft academic (unexpected crash), crossref (timeout), digg (HTTP error), hoogle (unexpected crash), torrentz (unexpected crash), ccengine (unexpected crash).

#114 2022-06-01 07:45:41

Destry
Website

Sorting the rice from the buckwheat…

There is searx.org (about), which I suppose was the original project. I had a search add-on, it must have been old, that pointed to searx.me, but that now just loads up a white hole.

I find two (at least) add-ons in FF:

One, search searx (using the original searx logo—devil-horned magnifying glass), is by an independent dev and the search link points to the instance https://searx.thegpm.org. That addon does not seem to be very popular.

The other is searXNG, using just a regular blue magnifying glass, which points to https://searx.be. It seems searXNG is a fork of searx, and seemingly more popular. It boasts a number of differences (link doesn’t work, need to scroll down page). SearXNG has a list of instances at searx.space. As mentioned, it seems to use the searx.be instance.

So it’s like tools in the fediverse, I guess. ‘Searx’ (or ‘searXNG’) is the software, but anyone can run an instance of it on their own server and make it public accessible. The specific URLs are relative.

I guess I’ll be using the searXNG add-on for the time being.

Last edited by Destry (2022-06-01 07:56:05)

#115 2022-06-01 11:45:03

phiw13
Plugin Author
Website

I am not sure what you are after, but given that searx.org uses “Open Search” you can simply add it directly to the list of search engines in Firefox:

1. go to searx.org
  2. right click / control click in the address bar or search bar. the search-engine should be list in the context menu (screenshot )
  3. select

The search engine is now available and you can set as default.

#116 2022-06-01 11:58:07

Destry
Website

Thanks. I did not realize it was so easy. I have deleted the needless add-ons and have added searx.org and searx.be (searXNG) for comparison.

Board footer