Go to main content

Textpattern CMS support forum

You are not logged in. Register | Login | Help

#1 2021-07-04 13:39:16

gaekwad
Server grease monkey
GitHub

Who Does Your Textpattern Hosting?: July 2021 Edition

I’m writing a blog post for textpattern.com, likely going live in the next 7 days or so.

Edit: it’s done, and now live – Changes to system requirements for Textpattern CMS 4.9

It’s about old versions of PHP and web hosting, and the call to action at the end is broadly: “if you’re running PHP 5, you really should upgrade; if your host can’t do supported PHP, find a new one”.

This is your opportunity to shout out your hosting company that can offer supported PHP. Please leave a note below with who you’re hosted with, a link to them (please mention if it’s an affiliate link), and whether you had any issues in setting up Textpattern. Likewise, if you’ve had a less-than-great experience with hosting companies in the past, please leave a note here.

Bonus points: please list the PHP version(s) available to you at the time of your reply. Clearly this will change as the thread ages, but it’s useful information.

I’m going to link to this thread as examples of community-approved hosting organisations, since you folks at the coal face know what’s going on.

Thank you in advance for your advice and feedback.

Last edited by gaekwad (2021-07-05 11:53:45)

#2 2021-07-04 14:36:52

nickoli
Website

Re: Who Does Your Textpattern Hosting?: July 2021 Edition

I use NearlyFreeSpeech.NET which is very bare-bones in interface, but offers PHP 7 and 8, and MySQL (MariaDB 10). They also have a pre-pay “pay for what you use” pricing approach, which I’ve found cost effective.

#3 2021-07-04 17:28:08

michaelkpate
Website GitHub Mastodon

I’ve been using Dreamhost for about 15 years, I think.

Supported PHP Versions: What versions of PHP are available at DreamHost?

• PHP 8.0.2 — Available in the panel (Shared and Debian Buster servers only).
  • PHP 7.4.15 — Available in the panel.
  • PHP 7.3.27 — Available in the panel.
  • PHP 7.2.34 — Available in the panel.

Non-affiliate Link: Choose Your Hosting Plan

#4 2021-07-05 02:59:31

code365
Website

I’ve been using Media Temple for about 2 years. They have the latest PHP

#5 2021-07-05 09:20:32

gomedia
Plugin Author

Australia: I used to use FLUCCS – excellent technical support but started to get expensive for clients. Now I use Panthur, who are equally excellent. Both provide a cPanel switch for PHP versions.

Last edited by gomedia (2021-07-06 00:01:37)

#6 2021-07-05 11:48:01

jakob
Admin
Website

In Germany: all-inkl – typical LAMP stack shared hosting. PHP 5.6-7-8, MySQL/MariaDB. Proprietary control panel that looks a little outdated but actually very flexible. On the whole knowledgeable + prompt support without long telephone waiting times. Very affordable. SSH / composer only on higher-priced tiers but DNS management and DDNS and more all included. Email too. Consistently reliable. Servers in Germany. Green.

In UK: guru.co.uk – typical cPanel-based host. Helpful support, if not always arriving at a solution. E-Mail is separate with useful migration tool but email rate limiting sometimes a little bit too tight. Affordable. Servers in UK.

General: webdock.io – low-cost, well-provisioned VPS servers. LEMP or LAMP but not both. Excellent help and assistance. No Email but free “Postmark” and “ImprovMX” for transactional email / email forwarding. Proprietary Control Panel (VPSs also manageable via other admin backends e.g runcloud.io). Servers in Finland or USA.

in Norway: proisp.eu. Used by a client. Nice admin area. Direct link to Cloudflare. Reliable. Can’t comment on support.

TXP Builders – finely-crafted code, design and txp

#7 2021-07-05 11:52:26

gaekwad
Server grease monkey
GitHub

jakob wrote #330878:

In UK: guru.co.uk – typical cPanel-based host. Helpful support, if not always arriving at a solution. E-Mail is separate with useful migration tool but email rate limiting sometimes a little bit too tight. Affordable. Servers in UK.

I will +1 Guru, they’re my go-to for clients in the mid-tier spending category. The email sync tool is useful, as are their migrations team.

Annoyingly, I’d moved a bunch of clients to Tsohost some years ago, before they were acquired by GoDaddy…then the inevitable slow decline began.

#8 2021-07-05 12:17:10

jakob
Admin
Website

gaekwad wrote #330879:

I will +1 Guru, they’re my go-to for clients in the mid-tier spending category. The email sync tool is useful, as are their migrations team.

Annoyingly, I’d moved a bunch of clients to Tsohost some years ago, before they were acquired by GoDaddy…then the inevitable slow decline began.

My client was previously and happily by webfaction until they were also acquired by GoDaddy. According to their homepage, webfaction sites are now transitioning to tsoHost. I needed a UK-based host (to avoid possible Brexit-related problems) and had to transfer numerous email accounts at once – Guru fitted the bill.

TXP Builders – finely-crafted code, design and txp

#9 2021-07-05 23:45:37

ax
Plugin Author

I am happy with netcup in Germany. They are low-cost and include ssh at all price levels. PHP 7 or 8 can be selected in the panel (Plesk). Standard features include SSD storage, LAMP/LEMP stacks, letsencrypt, also free .de-Domains. But no rsync to backup your data, only scp.

#10 2021-07-06 15:30:11

bici
Website Mastodon

I use Opalstack and i am very happy with them. (They started up after Webfaction was bought by GoDaddy). Great support and their service is highly customizable going by what i see in the forum My shared service–– which is the standard offering, is plenty powerful for my needs. Their dashboard was recently updated making it a breeze to work in. Their Maria DB interface is managed by Adminer. They also offer PostgreSQL. A fast and nimble hoster

…. texted postive

#11 2021-07-06 15:34:18

bici
Website Mastodon

PS Opalstack has an easy migration setup for migrating from Webfaction as most of the personnel were formerly with Webfaction:
two very helpful tutorials: HOWTO migrate your email addresses and mailboxes from WebFaction and HOWTO migrate stuff automatically from WebFaction

…. texted postive

#12 2021-07-06 16:50:09

Dragondz
Website GitHub Twitter

Hi

I have many website on Hawkhost (US) PHP 4.4 ,5.6 to 8.0 For DB it s 5.5.5-10.3.29-MariaDB, thay also offer PostgresSql.

I have also some website on Site5(US) that offer php 5.2 to 7.2 with DB MySQL: 5.6.41-84.1

But i prefer HawkHost over Site5 for technical support.

Cheers.

Board footer