Go to main content

Textpattern CMS support forum

You are not logged in. Register | Login | Help

#1 2021-06-26 08:07:29

Kjeld
Website

Notes for articles, pages, forms, etc.

I often add notes to my code so I remember why I did something. I would also like to do this for articles.

Naturally, I can do this using <txp:hide>. For example:

<txp:hide>This is hidden text</txp:hide>

or with visible notes in the code, e.g.:

<!-- This text is visible in the code -->

However, it would be very convenient if there were an additional text box where such notes could be entered. I could leave notes to myself for a specific article about why I left out certain information, or perhaps a warning about that particular article to fellow writers.

The (wonderful!) adi_notes plugin does something like this, but the notes are not for a specific article, form or page. If you add a note at forms for example, it is the same note for all forms.

Has this idea ever been considered for the core?

If not for the core, is there a plugin that can do this?

Or can adi_notes be adjusted to show notes either across the board as is currently the case, or for a particular form, article, etc.?

Old Photos of Japan – Japan in the 1850s~1960s (100% txp)
MeijiShowa – Stock photos of Japan in the 1850s~1960s (100% txp)
JapaneseStreets.com – Japanese street fashion (mostly txp)

#2 2021-06-30 02:13:13

gomedia
Plugin Author

Re: Notes for articles, pages, forms, etc.

Kjeld wrote #330708:

I often add notes to my code so I remember why I did something. I would also like to do this for articles.

As an alternative, could you use the article’s Excerpt field? I’ve done this in the past (as long as excerpts are not used on the public side).

The (wonderful!) adi_notes plugin does something like this, but the notes are not for a specific article, form or page. If you add a note at forms for example, it is the same note for all forms.

Very kind of you to say so!

Or can adi_notes be adjusted to show notes either across the board as is currently the case, or for a particular form, article, etc.?

That’s quite a major update and as I’m still trying to drag my other plugins out of the dark ages, it wouldn’t be a priority. Sorry.

#3 2021-06-30 11:12:10

Kjeld
Website

gomedia wrote #330804:

As an alternative, could you use the article’s Excerpt field? I’ve done this in the past (as long as excerpts are not used on the public side).

Very kind of you to say so!

That’s quite a major update and as I’m still trying to drag my other plugins out of the dark ages, it wouldn’t be a priority. Sorry.

A Notes field like the Excerpt field. That is exactly what I have in mind.

To use for comments about sources, future follow-up articles, additional information about a product, suggestions for changes to code, explanations why the code is written in a certain way, etc. etc. All stuff that should stay off the front page.

Apps like Dropbox allow such comments nowadays. It would be wonderful if it were part of the core of txp as well one day 😊

It is not a priority, though.

gomedia, updating the adi_notes plugin is definitely not a priority. And I’d rather see this in the core. Was just thinking out loud 😉

Last edited by Kjeld (2021-06-30 11:12:33)

#4 2021-06-30 11:44:29

phiw13
Plugin Author
Website

If Textpattern 4.9 delivers, unlimited custom fields would be available. You could then create that notes field out of the box (and you could even make it visible on the public side under certain circumstances, maybe for logged in users ? – just thinking out loud here…).

I have sometimes wished to have a note field on the pages panel.

Where is that emoji for a solar powered submarine when you need it ?
Sand space – admin theme for Textpattern

#5 2021-06-30 11:52:55

Kjeld
Website

phiw13 wrote #330817:

If Textpattern 4.9 delivers, unlimited custom fields would be available. You could then create that notes field out of the box (and you could even make it visible on the public side under certain circumstances, maybe for logged in users ? – just thinking out loud here…).

I have sometimes wished to have a note field on the pages panel.

Interesting thought. Can the custom fields be resized so you can read long messages?

#6 2021-06-30 11:58:16

phiw13
Plugin Author
Website

Kjeld wrote #330818:

Interesting thought. Can the custom fields be resized so you can read long messages?

If I understand the plans correctly, you could make it a <textarea /> and place it after the Excerpt field on the Write panel. Presumably, the same could happen on other panels. Bloke and Etc know better though.

Where is that emoji for a solar powered submarine when you need it ?
Sand space – admin theme for Textpattern

#7 2021-06-30 12:17:07

Kjeld
Website

phiw13 wrote #330819:

If I understand the plans correctly, you could make it a <textarea /> and place it after the Excerpt field on the Write panel. Presumably, the same could happen on other panels. Bloke and Etc know better though.

Fascinating. This would do the job, too!

#8 2021-06-30 13:33:45

jakob
Admin
Website

phiw13 wrote #330819:

If I understand the plans correctly, you could make it a <textarea /> and place it after the Excerpt field on the Write panel.

Kjeld wrote #330820:

Fascinating. This would do the job, too!

You can already do that now as well using glz_custom_fields to define a textarea custom_field and bot_wtc to place it at the end of the main column. Each custom_field has it’s own class/id so you can also style it differently using a custom.css file in your admin_theme’s css directory (e.g. /textpattern/admin-themes/hive/assets/css/).

It only applies to the write tab though.

TXP Builders – finely-crafted code, design and txp

#9 2021-07-01 01:21:11

Kjeld
Website

jakob wrote #330821:

You can already do that now as well using glz_custom_fields to define a textarea custom_field and bot_wtc to place it at the end of the main column. Each custom_field has it’s own class/id so you can also style it differently using a custom.css file in your admin_theme’s css directory (e.g. /textpattern/admin-themes/hive/assets/css/).

It only applies to the write tab though.

Thank you. Great suggestion.

I was very tired yesterday after a long day of research in the library. The planned extended custom fields of course also only apply to articles, and not to forms and pages…

Board footer