Textpattern CMS support forum

You are not logged in. Register | Login | Help

#13 2021-02-22 17:37:13

colak
Admin
Website GitHub Mastodon Twitter

Re: Encrypt your images - adversarial

Destry wrote #329014:

… But, as always, the real measure of protection comes from the individual not putting themselves and others at risk to begin with.

michaelkpate wrote #329009:

If machine learning software is outlawed, only outlaws will have machine learning software.

The problem of course is not just with facial recognition. Many Captchas we have to solve feed the AIs which are developed for military purposes such as non-human operated weapons. The time is very near when drones will no longer have their ‘pilots,’ just their missions. The ethical questions about this are enormous. Two of the key operational legal and human restrictions during war are those of choice and responsibility. Machines cannot be held responsible for any collateral victims, nor will they have the awareness not to carry out their mission because of a matter of conscience.

As such I am wondering about how the legality of such systems will help anyone, except maybe, some people whose jobs will become obsolete and those who currently have them will be able to sleep better at night. Having said that, I believe that the ethical and critical use of AI, in medicine, disaster prevention, and the humanities could be of a great help to us.

Yiannis
——————————
NeMe | hblack.art | EMAP | A Sea change | Toolkit of Care
I do my best editing after I click on the submit button.

#14 2021-03-02 15:04:02

Destry
Website

‘Finally! A way to make old family photos even creepier’ Deep Nostalgia

Eek!

Yipes!

Reminds me of the pictures on the walls in Hogwarts. Kind of cool… but could also be abused badly.

Also reminds me of a audio technology that was announced a few years ago, where it was possible to take a recording of someone talking, say a political speech, and edit the words in the audio to make it sound like the person was saying something completely different.

Maybe these things can be combined. Say a person plucks your photo off the web, animates it, makes some damaging words come out of your mouth, links the image to your website. Probably already being done.

Come to think of it, there’s a French comedian doing this now on French TV. Canteloup is his name. He takes political figures like Macron, animates their faces using some AI tech (his tech crew does this, I suppose, not him exactly), and literally speaks through them like avatars with his satire. It’s really weird. Not that old trick of cutting out the mouth on static image and inserting comedian’s lips, either, but real video-looking mimicry. I can only image how the Chinese president would react to that.

#15 2021-03-02 18:22:15

michaelkpate
Website GitHub Mastodon

Destry wrote #329085:

‘Finally! A way to make old family photos even creepier’ Deep Nostalgia

I decided to give it a try. It seems to work better with posed studio photos so I had this one of my grandmother.

It looks very robotic – kind of a Walt Disney World Hall of the Presidents.

#16 2021-03-02 18:31:02

bici
Website Mastodon

michaelkpate wrote #329086:

I decided to give it a try. It seems to work better with posed studio photos so I had this one of my grandmother.

It looks very robotic – kind of a Walt Disney World Hall of the Presidents.

that is awesome. … “Bring Your Family Photos to Life”

…. texted postive

#17 2021-05-06 16:02:22

colak
Admin

Another tool to obfuscate faces from some AIs. This time from University of Chicago. Open source and free download for Macs and PCs.

Yiannis
——————————

#18 2021-05-07 06:05:15

Vienuolis
Website GitHub GitLab Twitter

colak wrote #330047:

Another tool to obfuscate faces from some AIs. This time from University of Chicago. Open source and free download for Macs and PCs.

Gigabyte! :-O

#19 2021-05-07 08:54:19

phiw13
Plugin Author
Website

colak wrote #330047:

Their (obfuscated) images seem a little “softer” on the edges (or less sharp). It is pretty obvious in the Barack Obama image at the bottom of the page; the left one (obama_cloaked.png) is manipulated if one can believe the file name.

Where is that emoji for a solar powered submarine when you need it ?
Sand space – admin theme for Textpattern

#20 2021-05-07 09:01:49

colak
Admin

phiw13 wrote #330059:

Their (obfuscated) images seem a little “softer” on the edges (or less sharp). It is pretty obvious in the Barack Obama image at the bottom of the page; the left one (obama_cloaked.png) is manipulated if one can believe the file name.

I guess there are a number of methods:)

michaelkpate wrote #329009:

If machine learning software is outlawed, only outlaws will have machine learning software.

Hi Michael. This book is highly recommended.

Yiannis
——————————

#21 2021-06-05 10:58:50

colak
Admin

and here is another online tool which creates unlearnable examples not based on adversarial attacks. Instead of introducing changes to an image that force an AI to make a mistake, it adds tiny changes that trick an AI into ignoring it during training.

Yiannis
——————————

Board footer