Go to main content

Textpattern CMS support forum

You are not logged in. Register | Login | Help

#1 2021-05-20 04:44:20

colak
Admin
Website GitHub Mastodon Twitter

Microsoft is retiring Internet Explorer next year

Microsoft is finally retiring Internet Explorer next year, after more than 25 years. The aging web browser has largely been unused by most consumers for years, but Microsoft is putting the final nail in the Internet Explorer coffin on June 15th, 2022, by retiring it in favor of Microsoft Edge. www.theverge.com/2021/5/19/22443997/microsoft-internet-explorer-end-of-support-date

Yiannis
——————————
NeMe | hblack.art | EMAP | A Sea change | Toolkit of Care
I do my best editing after I click on the submit button.

#2 2021-05-20 09:02:55

michaelkpate
Website GitHub Mastodon

Re: Microsoft is retiring Internet Explorer next year

Alas, poor IE! I knew him, Horatio, a browser of infinite jest, of most excellent fancy.

The memories are a little hazy but I remember using the Internet Jumpstart Kit in Microsoft Plus! but I also used the weird browser mode built into Word to download a copy of Netscape Navigator – which was far superior at the time.

#3 2021-05-20 09:36:57

Bloke
Developer
Website GitHub

michaelkpate wrote #330218:

Netscape Navigator – which was far superior at the time.

I concur. I loved Netscape Navigator at uni. Until they decided to try and make the browser all things to everyone with email and newsgroups and whatever built in, and it became a bloated mess. That’s about the time we dubbed it with the affectionate moniker Nutscrape Navigator because every interaction became a ballache.

The smd plugin menagerie — for when you need one more gribble of power from Textpattern. Bleeding-edge code available on GitHub.

Txp Builders – finely-crafted code, design and Txp

#4 2021-05-20 13:06:22

Destry
Website

I never liked Microsoft, and I still don’t. The lock-in tech has never been good for the world. I would have liked to have seen the last 30 years if Windows had never emerged when it did. Something must have turned out different and better for us. But Gates, the carbon-capture supporter, got there first.

I dread the day I’ll have to use Office-ware again. I’ve been lucky to avoid it a while.

And now it wants to juice us for shitcoin. According to documents from the World Intellectual Property Organization, Microsoft is working on a system that harnesses human body energy to mine cryptocurrencies.

If this is a joke, it’s an elaborately detailed one.

Sad thing is, I can see all the tech bros slathering on this. Not to mention those Eastern bloc hacker armies.

#5 2021-05-20 14:22:38

michaelkpate
Website GitHub Mastodon

Destry wrote #330225:

I would have liked to have seen the last 30 years if Windows had never emerged when it did.

There is some alternate reality somewhere where Taligent destroyed Windows. From Wikipedia:

In 1988, after launching System 6 and MultiFinder, Apple initiated the exploratory project named Pink to design the next generation of Mac OS. Though diverging into a sprawling new dream system unrelated to Mac OS, Pink was wildly successful within Apple and a subject of industry hype without. In 1992, the new AIM alliance spawned an Apple/IBM partnership corporation named Taligent Inc., with the purpose of bringing Pink to market. In 1994, Hewlett-Packard joined the partnership with a 15% stake. After a two-year series of goal-shifting delays, Taligent OS was eventually canceled, but the CommonPoint application framework was launched in 1995 for AIX with a later beta for OS/2. CommonPoint had technological acclaim but an extremely complex learning curve, so sales were very low. In 1995, Apple and HP withdrew from the Taligent partnership, licensed its technology, and left it as a wholly owned subsidiary of IBM. In January 1998, Taligent Inc. was finally dissolved into IBM. Taligent’s legacy became the unbundling of CommonPoint’s best compiler and application components and converting them into VisualAge C++ and the globally adopted Java Development Kit 1.1 (especially internationalization). In 1996, Apple instead bought NeXT and began synthesizing classic Mac OS onto the NeXTSTEP operating system. Mac OS X was launched on March 24, 2001 as the future of the Macintosh and eventually the iPhone. In the late 2010s, some of Apple’s personnel and design concepts from Pink and from Purple (the first iPhone’s codename) would resurface and blend into Google’s Fuchsia operating system, intended to succeed Android.

#6 2021-05-20 15:29:10

bici
Website Mastodon

fond memories of Mosaic and Netscape Navigator.

And lets not forget how Windows was such non-internet citizen.

“You see the problem was that it was really, really hard to use the Web in the early days. Unix was the only operating system with real Internet support. If you wanted to use Windows 3.1 to connect to the Web you needed to use a program called Trumpet Winsock. It was an incredible pain-in-the-rump to set up properly”

Early browser history

…. texted postive

#7 2021-05-20 16:20:21

gaekwad
Server grease monkey
GitHub

techcommunity.microsoft.com/t5/windows-it-pro-blog/internet-explorer-11-desktop-app-retirement-faq/ba-p/2366549

h4. Out of scope at the time of this announcement (unaffected):

[…]

Internet Explorer 11 desktop application on: Windows 8.1, Windows 7 Extended Security Updates (ESU), Windows 10 Server SAC (all versions), Windows 10 IoT Long-Term Servicing Channel (LTSC) (all versions), Windows 10 Server LTSC (all versions), Windows 10 client LTSC (all versions)

partially retiring.

#8 2021-05-20 23:19:13

phiw13
Plugin Author
Website

gaekwad wrote #330228:

partially retiring.

This… It is always fun (not really) to watch the bloviating “Microsoft is retiring IE”. They have announced that multiple times – without hype. The last time early this year when they announced that Windows update would install Chromium-Edge as a mandatory upgrade – followed by much digital ink flowing. And yes “it” will still live on for a while mostly within embedded devices and similar. I doubt you will ever need to worry about those, though.

Where is that emoji for a solar powered submarine when you need it ?
Sand space – admin theme for Textpattern

Board footer