Textpattern CMS support forum

You are not logged in. Register | Login | Help

#25 2021-04-21 11:47:58

Bloke
Developer
Website GitHub

Re: rss_admin_db_manager: Database management in Textpattern

phiw13 wrote #329947:

the select route is a good way to hide the complexities from the less savoury user, if the plugin is installed.

I concur.

Or is it still the idea to have the plugin code integrated within Textpattern Core?

Nope, I think this works better as a plugin.

The smd plugin menagerie — for when you need one more gribble of power from Textpattern. Bleeding-edge code available on GitHub.

Txp Builders – finely-crafted code, design and Txp

#26 2021-04-21 14:04:16

colak
Admin
Website GitHub Mastodon Twitter

One of my issues regarding this plugin is the user permissions which I need to change for some installs. The sql language is cryptic for not seasoned users. drop for example does not immediately equate with delete for many.

Is it possible to change the permissions in the core for just administrators, or add a preference as to which user roles have access to it?

Yiannis
——————————
NeMe | hblack.art | EMAP | A Sea change | Toolkit of Care
I do my best editing after I click on the submit button.

#27 2021-04-21 14:16:41

Bloke
Developer
Website GitHub

colak wrote #329949:

One of my issues regarding this plugin is the user permissions which I need to change for some installs.

What do you need to change it to? The plugin is hard-coded to only run for Publisher-level accounts. I wouldn’t trust anyone else with it.

The sql language is cryptic for not seasoned users. drop for example does not immediately equate with delete for many.

We can change the language string to ‘Delete’, no problem, if it’s clearer. Just takes up a bit more space, and the actions do seem to merge together a bit already. I don’t know how best to separate them and still let them flow on smaller screens. If anyone has any cool core classes or HTML markup (or at a push inline CSS) here that would help, please let me know.

Is it possible to change the permissions in the core for just administrators, or add a preference as to which user roles have access to it?

A preference is possible, sort of. One of the downsides of having the plugin built into the Diagnostics panel is that we’re then governed by Txp’s core permissions. The panel’s only available to levels 1 and 2 so if you set the plugin to be visible to Copy Editors, for example, it wouldn’t appear: the core privs mean the entire panel is a Restricted Area. In this case I didn’t think it mattered since we really don’t want anyone else tinkering with the database, so restricting the plugin to Publisher-only roles fits within the core panel privs already.

I’m not quite sure how adding a preference helps, but may be missing something. EDIT: or do you mean, a preference for just making the ‘drop’ visible? If so, how would that work, given that only Publishers can see the plugin content anyway?

Last edited by Bloke (2021-04-21 14:19:01)

The smd plugin menagerie — for when you need one more gribble of power from Textpattern. Bleeding-edge code available on GitHub.

#28 2021-04-21 14:44:58

colak
Admin

Ok I may be referring to older versions which I was using where staff writers had access to the pane. Publishers are the right level. The reason I brought it up is that, as I mentioned in another thread, I’m redesigning a site that I want to keep privileges to the content part as the person is lost in the other panes.

Yiannis
——————————

#29 2021-04-21 14:46:57

Bloke
Developer
Website GitHub

Yep, cool. Publishers only for this ride from now on. It’s been like that ever since I took over maintenance of it.

But if anyone has any thoughts on how to pretty up the ‘Actions’ column, I’d love to hear them. I tried pipe symbols between them but they get ugly when the viewport is resized, sometimes putting pipes at the end of a line or the start and everything just looks wonky and amateurish.

#30 2021-04-21 15:29:32

colak
Admin

Is there a reason they can not reside in flexbox divs? It will also save the problem with the non-repairable tables appearing on the wrong spot.

Yiannis
——————————

#31 2021-04-21 15:58:30

Bloke
Developer
Website GitHub

If I choose a suitable grid class from core, yeah flexbox might work. Would probably still need decent classes on each action to give them space. I’m not super clear on what core classes are best for this.

#32 2021-04-21 16:40:42

colak
Admin

For the first time I checked the html of the back end and we are using tables… Apologies:). There appears to be a normalisation in the classes which all start with txp-list-col-column_name. Which could mean that they may be dynamically named. You know more about this than me:)

I would think that a css selector would be able to style all. Something like td[class] |="txp-list-col-"]{} might work.

Yiannis
——————————

#33 2021-04-21 16:52:09

Bloke
Developer
Website GitHub

colak wrote #329955:

I checked the html of the back end and we are using tables…

Yeah, it’s tabular data :) When I agreed about a flexbox grid, I meant maybe applying a flexbox to just the cells in that final column so the individual actions could stack side by side if there was space or wrap if not. Not sure if that’ll work. CSS, for me, is mainly a process of hack it in the Inspector until it sort of works then save it quick and hope it hasn’t broken anything on other pages.

There appears to be a normalisation in the classes which all start with txp-list-col-column_name.

I just hijacked Phil’s naming convention for other tables in the back-end and used it in the plugin.

#34 2021-04-21 23:08:32

phiw13
Plugin Author
Website

Stef, for those action links (button-links really), try with the markup pattern used under the Save/Publish submit on the Write panel.

<p class="txp-actions"><a href="…">foo</a> <a href="…">bar</a>

Where is that emoji for a solar powered submarine when you need it ?
Sand space – admin theme for Textpattern

#35 2021-04-22 02:02:43

michaelkpate
Website GitHub Mastodon

phiw13 wrote #329957:

I checked – no submarine but here is a nice canoe🛶

#36 2021-04-22 03:05:40

phiw13
Plugin Author
Website

Bloke wrote #329948:

Nope, I think this works better as a plugin.

Yeah, 100% with you on that. It is a nice to have module, but not a Core “necessity”.

—^–^–

BTW, there is quite a bit of room to improve the markup and structure. Upthread I had given an improved template for the Run SQL panel, the DB backup panel also could use some love…

Current mockups: Run SQL and DB backup

for the latter, I left one thing “as is was”: the line that starts with lock tables; me thinks you could rather use the same pattern as the other 3 items (the pattern is copied from all edit panels). That was partly out of lazyness :-/

PS – I tried to create a .sql file backup, but that failed with Backup failed. Error: 126 (in a warning message pane, not an error one)

Last edited by phiw13 (2021-04-22 03:10:23)

Sand space – admin theme for Textpattern

Board footer